Minimum level for non-violent taming

Wesley2000

Minimum level for non-violent taming

Is there a minimum level requirement for players when taming high level dinos?
I seem to remember seeing words on the taming bar telling me i need to be xx level to tame this creature (i think it was a Chali). 
Anyways, i just encountered a 270 lvl basilosaurus, I went near it trying to feed it but there was nothing written on the taming bar (usually it'll read 'feed xxx to tame'), i swam to nearby basil (Level 100-190l) and taming seems to work fine. Is that 270 basil glitchy or my level 84 player just aint high enough to tame it

anyone? Some advice would be nice.

There is no minimum level for taming anything, only min level to craft saddles. Sounds like you ran into that basi in a water cave that has higher than max lvl dinos which means nothing in that cave can be tamed(Even if it is under max lvl, tried it with a 130 mosa and didnt work).

But I am just guessing here cause you mentioned other basil up to lvl 190 letting you tame so sounds like you are not on official and have some settings that are not default. Would need more info.

On 12/20/2019 at 11:07 PM, Piffguru said:

There is no minimum level for taming anything, only min level to craft saddles. Sounds like you ran into that basi in a water cave that has higher than max lvl dinos which means nothing in that cave can be tamed(Even if it is under max lvl, tried it with a 130 mosa and didnt work).

But I am just guessing here cause you mentioned other basil up to lvl 190 letting you tame so sounds like you are not on official and have some settings that are not default. Would need more info.

Well, I'm playing in an official server, Hive, Asia, Hard. I revisited that Level 270 basil the second day, still unable to tame it, Neither were there anything else on its taming bar other than  its name and health (i'm carrying soothing balm, usually the taming bar will prompt me to feed soothing balm for...)

For your theory on water caves, I'm reckon you're referring to other versions except mobile. In Mobile, water dinos spawn outside them caves...

@Wesley2000 I’m going to guess this is the same as an issue I had last December. Once someone starts the passive taming process, a creature cannot be tamed by anyone else (except tribemates, maybe) unless it is killed and revived. I had this exact issue with a basilo and was told there is no timeout/reset until death by the devs on discord. 

You could always try killing and resurrecting it to see if that works. I recall once also seeing a level limit for passive taming... however, I believe that disappears after completing the tutorial and dodo tame pursuits. 

12 hours ago, Wesley2000 said:

Well, I'm playing in an official server, Hive, Asia, Hard. I revisited that Level 270 basil the second day, still unable to tame it, Neither were there anything else on its taming bar other than  its name and health (i'm carrying soothing balm, usually the taming bar will prompt me to feed soothing balm for...)

For your theory on water caves, I'm reckon you're referring to other versions except mobile. In Mobile, water dinos spawn outside them caves...

Yea ignore what I said, thought this was regular ark not mobile sorry.

Weird, just encountered another level 190 basil, can't tame it, just like the level 270 i met few days ago. Successfully fed some meat to a level 30 basil swimming nearby.

This is really weird, I've tamed high basils before, i never remembered there a level requirement... Anyone? Or is the last two events were glitches..

On 12/22/2019 at 6:31 PM, nintendogamer7 said:

@Wesley2000 I’m going to guess this is the same as an issue I had last December. Once someone starts the passive taming process, a creature cannot be tamed by anyone else (except tribemates, maybe) unless it is killed and revived. I had this exact issue with a basilo and was told there is no timeout/reset until death by the devs on discord. 

You could always try killing and resurrecting it to see if that works. I recall once also seeing a level limit for passive taming... however, I believe that disappears after completing the tutorial and dodo tame pursuits. 

Sorry missed your reply... your theory sounds reasonable. I will try killing and reviving a basil and see how it goes. 
Thanks for your help!

Will update my result after i tried it, wish me luck.

Merry Christmas to every Ark survivors!

Archived