Option to disable the javascript snow?

IanHighlander

Option to disable the javascript snow?

Hi @Chris

Really don't want to come across as a bah humbug in this season of good will and all and I'm all for making things look pretty, but when a small javascript snow effect takes 80% cpu on one tab in a browser on an i7 processor, that's excessive.

It's a common problem with these snow scripts as the processor has to keep track of each individual "flake".

I've blocked it on mine now using adblock plus which immediately brought the browser back down to 2-4% CPU usage with about 20 tabs open.

Just an option to switch it off might be nice to have.

Thanks and happy Xmas to all of you at WC ?

3 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

For anybody interested in doing this. 

In most AdBlockers you can create custom filters.

In this case, filter out "6d538d11ecfced46f459ee300b5e80ec_ta.entmt.1.0.js"

This is probably pretty much what you did @IanHighlander?

Precisely what I did yes, although you don't need to be particularly clever about it, just entering https://survivetheark.com/applications/core/interface/file/index.php?file=/set_resources_42/6d538d11ecfced46f459ee300b5e80ec_ta.entmt.1.0.js into an adblocker will block the script too.

I didn't want to mention it (until you did) as I got told off last time I posted an adblock thing for this site lol (I block the huge advert panel at the top of the forums with mine), I understand why in that instance to be fair as it's them advertising their product, I just object to an advert taking a third of my screenspace up and frankly buy all their damn games anyway so don't need to be told to buy it ;)

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, IanHighlander said:

Precisely what I did yes, although you don't need to be particularly clever about it, just entering https://survivetheark.com/applications/core/interface/file/index.php?file=/set_resources_42/6d538d11ecfced46f459ee300b5e80ec_ta.entmt.1.0.js into an adblocker will block the script too.

I didn't want to mention it (until you did) as I got told off last time I posted an adblock thing for this site lol (I block the huge advert panel at the top of the forums with mine), I understand why in that instance to be fair as it's them advertising their product, I just object to an advert taking a third of my screenspace up and frankly buy all their damn games anyway so don't need to be told to buy it ;)

I use ad blockers to block just about every damn thing on most sites.

Don't get me wrong, really trying not be me a miserable old git about this, the snow "looks" pretty. Admittedly this is just a laptop so the GPU isn't taking most of the strain which it would on a half decent graphics card, but none the less, this is an i7 8550U with 16GB RAM it's no slouch and for one tab to take 80% CPU on an 8th Gen four core i7 is excessive ?

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, IanHighlander said:

Don't get me wrong, really trying not be me a miserable old git about this, the snow "looks" pretty. Admittedly this is just a laptop so the GPU isn't taking most of the strain which it would on a half decent graphics card, but none the less, this is an i7 8550U with 16GB RAM it's no slouch and for one tab to take 80% CPU on an 8th Gen four core i7 is excessive ?

Nothing wrong with asking. 

2 minutes ago, GreenRoc said:

I cant figure out how to add this to my adblocker. AdBlockplus for firefox is refusing to take the code, something about it being invalid. How exactly do I put in this filter?

I don't normally use Firefox, just trying it now to see if I can get it to work and will post here for you if I can.

4 minutes ago, GreenRoc said:

I cant figure out how to add this to my adblocker. AdBlockplus for firefox is refusing to take the code, something about it being invalid. How exactly do I put in this filter?

Ok got it...

In Firefox Adblock Plus click the settings cog in the top right

image.thumb.png.e229029c366c301006f704a4da8cb01f.png

Select "Advanced" in the left hand menu and scroll down to this section:

image.thumb.png.101d177c1b495ca62a28b3fa1a163e90.png

Type 6d538d11ecfced46f459ee300b5e80ec_ta.entmt.1.0.js into the box and click +ADD

Refresh Survive the ark ;)

2 hours ago, GreenRoc said:

Or.... I cant figure out how to add this to my adblocker. AdBlockplus for firefox is refusing to take the code. How exactly do I put in this filter?

See if you can find a place to add a personal filter list option, in uBlock Origin I open the dashboard and go to my list and add the snow javascript in there

• Chris locked this topic

Archived