Manas Nerfed Hard With New Update

ChillEBean

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So what purpose is the mana to have now ? as they stand now they are nothing but a slightly more sturdy mount than a galli, entirely worthless.
Im finding it harder to enjoy Ark for every month in PVE and Manas seriously did more to keep Ark playable than any other content or events, but of course we are not supposed to have too much fun it seems.

First time posting here. Been playing for 2 years now on pve and I cannot understand this change. I liked the original mana. First nerf sucked but he was still useful for mobility. Now this change is ruining a creature with a very specific niche for no reason. 

I don't play pvp so maybe that's an aspect. Seems like most changes are made on behalf of pvp and always screw over pve

This is seriously dumb WildCard

WC don't forget now that you will have people dropping into bases while trying to cross maps, and being shredded by turrets due to the inability to dash very far.......

you have also applied only HALF of the equation for those that use water to travel with their mana's as well.  If you are out in the middle of the water you get 1 dash, and 1 dash only.....and no more until your mana actually makes contact with dry land.  Hell you cant even jump out of the water if you are at a land drop off that the mana can not naturally walk onto the beach (Ragnarok many areas), so rip mana if you are being chased by a alpha mosa

bravo

4 hours ago, Lycan187u said:

There is never balance  in pvp.when one meta gets nerfed\ removed another will rise.in every other game when I new gun gets added they don't remove or nerf it's just a new weapon...wc listens to the community  too often...just get gud...

So you are actually suggesting 100% balance can’t be achieved so don’t bother trying close as possible? Hope not because that’s just plain stupid.

3 hours ago, slid said:

I believe the managarmrs were in a good place at the moment with their mobility. Alot of people think that too. Maybe lowering the damage a small amount and leaving out the movement is what would be best. 

They are in a great place for travel and pvp and i feel that the damage is what is making them over powered. 

Disagree they are still Kings of the sky and no other flyer can defeat them. Not due to damage but insane mobility plus op mega breed line stats means they can engage disengage and resume attack without count and beat an enemy down. Imo that is.

50 minutes ago, H3adSt0mp3r said:

WC don't forget now that you will have people dropping into bases while trying to cross maps, and being shredded by turrets due to the inability to dash very far.......

you have also applied only HALF of the equation for those that use water to travel with their mana's as well.  If you are out in the middle of the water you get 1 dash, and 1 dash only.....and no more until your mana actually makes contact with dry land.

bravo

Should mana even be that good in water? It’s the go to for air water transportation.

13 minutes ago, johnm81 said:

Disagree they are still Kings of the sky and no other flyer can defeat them. Not due to damage but insane mobility plus op mega breed line stats means they can engage disengage and resume attack without count and beat an enemy down. Imo that is.

How can they even be "kings" if you can't jump high enough to catch a simple pterodon? they barely go up now it just goes forward thats it.

Great, just great.  So PvE players have to suffer yet again because of PvP.  This is beyond idiotic.  Managarmrs are now useless, so we're back to flyers being the only choice of mounts.  Bravo WC.  And you wonder why your reputation with the community is trash.

Let's hope Kracken or some other modder reverses this garbage.

I agree that this thing dashing endlessly in PVP is overpowered (I won't discuss PVE here because obvious reasons nerf is bad are obvious, and separating PVE/PVP mechanics is a whole other can of worms). However, this nullifies stamina mutations by hardcapping their maximum potential. Now, stamina barely matters, so people with tons of hours of breeding invested in stamina are getting the middle raptor claw. Why not just lower its base stamina significantly so that breeding work isn't lost? Or, as someone else suggested, make PVP more dynamic by offering counters rather than just watering down everything's stats until they're all the same? 

There could be a hidden element system, with certain creatures (say, the earth element would be, purlovia, deathworm, doedicurus, etc, while water is ichthyornis, pelagornis, water dinos, etc) having small buffs over other elements. There could be specific counters, like a consumable that temporarily makes you immune to the bleeding debuff from wild gigas, allos, and deinonychus, for just one example. Or like the one person said, fire being much more effective at killing manas... These are all methods of countering significant threats without stat tweaking.

They seemed to have started this. Raptors were effectively useless beyond for a new player, now they can pounce you off wyverns (which admittedly is ridiculous, but I digress, I'm looking at this from a gameplay lens, not realism). Instead of buffing its stats, it was given a viable new ability that makes them at least somewhat of a defense for new PVPers, and if they're especially ballsy, an offensive option as well for taking on others trying to get established! As a lv 36 with just a ptera to my name, a small new tribe with raptors is terrifying. 

The trike has a charge attack. The parasaur can scare away smaller predators and warn against enemies when before it was just that dino you used to get berries and then better dinos and then never looked at again. The deinonychus can latch onto bigger dinos, effectively countering their bulk by making it a weakness for the bleed effect. Well bred deinonychus in massive packs, I believe they could challenge even the undisputed king of the ARK's earth: the giga!

And yet... The mana just had the metaphorical book thrown at it. There is no reason to just hardcap it. You could have lowered its base stamina, or if you're feeling really adventurous, given it a better counter than an obscure plant (that also got nerfed...)...but instead, just gave it a boring cap. 

Does anyone up there take pride in this game and want to do better stuff with it, or are they just wondering how much harder they can yank that cash cow utter? I know the answer is obvious and I'm not saying you guys SHOULDN'T want money. But it's just sad that you guys don't seem to really want to do anything interesting, turning a problem into a creative gain, and instead want to just slap some duct tape on the problem like my dad on an old car lol. 

40 minutes ago, xirael said:

You even have an idea of how much time people in pve official spend on breeding and getting the right stats mutations, this is a slap in their faces, how can you encourage people to breed in lower rates when in any moment you can just poop over their hard work and send their efforts to the trash.

I was gonna start breeding them (official) but cbf now. As xirael says no encouragement to spend all that time and effort on something when they can trash it in two seconds, may as well start breeding max level mutated dodos.

why even have the game mechanic if their just gonna nerf Dino’s into the ground. Seperate PVE-PVP nerf or give the PVP guys some counters and leave stuff alone.

First of all, to say that today I am a PVE player, my PVP days have been going on for a long time, that being said, all the players that are complaining to you, destroying a dino in PVE, are not helping the subject at all if not everything On the contrary since both in PVE and PVP the managarm becomes an almost useless dino.

The problem that managarm has and why the one that many people among whom I include see this change as disastrous is that we have been with the mechanics that this dino has long and that I think are very positive and not being a change that it has become fast or that it has always been like that it looks like a fudge, if nerf the mobility of the dino I suppose they will see a big problem with it but because instead of nerf so brutally (remember that the managarm already accumulates a few nerfs and in this last patch has dropped two more) are you looking for a way to counter it?

• The invincibleqc friend's proposal is tremendously interesting for example (making them highly weak from fire).
  • Why instead of nerf your movement so you do not nerf the distance you can travel? it would also be something very interesting and not so traumatic for people in both PVP and PVE
  • If you are so extremely op why you do not put a penalty such as taking twice as long to freeze a target?

I suppose that these days will be very good ideas to not cover one of the most useful dinos in another dino del monton which will not be used.

I was going to buy the Genesis pass from WC. I was just getting back into the game and was adoring the mobility of the Managarmr and felt it made for a speedy but fragile mount, felt WC had turned over a new leaf since the days of the Flyer Nerf.

Nope.

Guess a certain unnamed code reseller's getting my money now.

13 hours ago, Abecy said:

Why not just remove the mana from the game? what's the point putting a useless mana there with 1 DASH. idiot change. I USE IT FOR TRAVEL NOT ATTACKING poop

OR

Separate PVP and PVE, from the game. leave pve alone. 

Still far faster than a wyvern. Still much tankier a wyvern. Still does much more damage than a wyvern. Can breed unlike a wyvern. Has saddle armor. Can swim underwater faster than anything in the game. 

In what world is a mana useless and weak ? Useless and weak compared to what other dino ?

Oh and the mana is also

Immune to being grabbed by tusos. Immune to reapers slow.              Immune to owl slow

Regens full stam in 3 seconds, 0 to 11000 stamina in 3 seconds. Regens stamina even underwater.

The only counter to manas plant z and y have been nerfed. Z is reduced to 50% range and Y reduced to 10 second timer. What other dino can fight a mana now other than another mana ? 

Good luck trying to hit wyvern mid air with that crappy range of ice breath , you can try to jump and catch the wyvern but it won't be enough to freeze it  , the moment  your out of sta you are toasted , if it is so OP why no one use them to replace the giga ? Swim is a nice gimmick but it still have oxgen and it can be shocked and dismount unlike drake .  The only offensive power it have over other dino is the ice breath , other than that , other heavy weight dino will win in bite contest  . 

Most mana user usually put them on passive to prevent them from jumping all over the place while other dino don't need to do that , this is very dangerous when you d/c or you got dismount and something dangerous nearby , you can not count on your mana to save you .

47 minutes ago, covenantgrunt said:

Still far faster than a wyvern. Still much tankier a wyvern. Still does much more damage than a wyvern. Can breed unlike a wyvern. Has saddle armor. Can swim underwater faster than anything in the game. 

In what world is a mana useless and weak ? Useless and weak compared to what other dino ?

Oh and the mana is also

Immune to being grabbed by tusos. Immune to reapers slow.              Immune to owl slow

Regens full stam in 3 seconds, 0 to 11000 stamina in 3 seconds. Regens stamina even underwater.

The only counter to manas plant z and y have been nerfed. Z is reduced to 50% range and Y reduced to 10 second timer. What other dino can fight a mana now other than another mana ? 

personally I see much more op a rhino for PVP than the managarm, a dino that takes 2 days to grow ... and can very easily kill any dino that is on land ... the initial managarm that came out was a steamroller but after all the nerfs that have had it unless you carry a managarm of very high stats and raised not that it is a dino that stands out for its damage but for its great mobility

To me the most annoying thing is that they force this change on the whole game not just official servers due to official pvp so singleplayer/unofficial servers are forced to have this nerf and have to use  mods to fix it. And even tho them nerfing it on official pve is annoying because of official pvp them nerfing it on singleplayer/unofficial why should player created servers/singleplayer where we decide what we can do be affected by an nerf intended for official pvp.

1 hour ago, ello788 said:

nerfing it on singleplayer/unofficial why should player created servers/singleplayer where we decide what we can do be affected by an nerf intended for official pvp.

I've had this same question since the flier nerf. I've yet to see a logical answer, maybe they have one, and I havent seen it yet.

Is it too much work for them to code two different sets of creature behaviors? Or impossible perhaps? I have no idea.

There was a livestream once they said they want us to play in our own way, but how can we when they hardcode stuff like this? Confuses the heck out of me why PvE has to be hit by this change too.

WC has made a poor choice here IMO, too often the nerfs have been heavy handed and poorly targeted.  The nerfs they've made to Managarmr since release effectively destroy the mechanics that defined the creature,  and yet they keep hitting it again and again because they apparently aren't actually preventing what they want to prevent. It honestly seems like they don't even know what they want the Managarmr to be, except perhaps not used. The range nerf was very excessive, destroying the basic attack mechanic of the creature, a single jump into the air, a core part of it's combat design, put it out of range to even hit it's target. Wild manas look like spastic morons, jumping in and out doing almost nothing with their melee till they die or bug out, if they win a fight it's often because the target was a wild that got distracted by something else when the mana jumped out. With how heavy the damage falloff was - for it to do any real damage at all at a sane range, the point blank damage was rather OP. The range nerf meant that a creature charging you, because that's exactly what the limited npc programming in the game will do, could often get in range and hit you before you could freeze, good luck with that breath then, and the mana's signature movement abilities would instantly put you out of range to even fight. If you want the breath to be used at range, don't nerf it into uselessness at 12ft. If you want it used in melee, it shouldn't be continuously interrupted by damage!! Combat hopscotch anyone? That's fun for both parties.

So what's the result of all this? The only real option they left the mana riders for dealing damage, jump in close and burst, jump away and start again if you get hit. I haven't gotten a good look at the damage change yet, but to me the biggest mistake they made there was way the range scaling was implemented.  Just keep it simple, something like full damage at point blank to mid range, scaling down from there to perhaps 25% damage at max range, adjust base damage to a balanced level. Going from max damage at melee range to 0 damage at max range was a mistake, and made balancing the damage a problem due to the massive variation across ranges, can't make it do reasonable damage at a sane range without making it OP point blank.  The freeze effect on the other hand should fall off a good bit, the closer you are the faster the target is frozen, very slow at long range, but fairly fast up close. Further reduce freeze speed against players and tames if needed.  Mild damage at long range, good reliable damage up mid to close range, no sniper damage, no easy freeze from silly range, no massive bursts at point blank, no stream of 0 damage markers from just outside you enemies hit box ?.

The current movement nerf is no different. If people are jumping continuously too much, up the stamina cost scaling you already have in place. If three dashes burns all their stamina, they won't dash 3 times - or better yet, diminishing returns on subsequent dashes, after the first dash or two each gets progressively slower and shorter, and don't let the speed stat boost the dash. There are times when multiple jumps are simply required for awkward bits of terrain, heck, with how twitchy they are sometime it takes me 6 strafes and 2 jumps just to park the blasted thing how I want it if land space is limited, thanks to it's poor land turning radius.  If anything improve the land turning radius, If you want us to walk them, then make it less painful to do so, they also handle rocks and terrain very poorly. Have you tried moving them through an even moderately forested area, or rough terrain with stones on the ground? They bug out, start floating, or get stuck frequently, and turn like a bus.

On Extinction one of my bases is on a tower in the city, where it was clearly intended as a possible building location, and not even near the top. This change makes it nearly inaccessible to my Managarmr. Well done. Thank you very much. I now have exactly one option for an effective travel and light transport mount there, nerfing that one next?  Maybe I'll be able to build a bridge now, did that fix actually work? Another well tested addition that there was.

It's one thing to tune a mount's power, and completely another beast when you start messing with things so integral to it's base play-ability, I feel player anger is justified in this case.

PS: Heavy restrictions on players and tames that aren't placed on wilds will always feel unfair to your players, as do changes that render huge amounts of time and effort in breeding useless.

TLDR: I think this and many of the other Managarmr nerfs have been very poorly implemented even in the cases where changes have been truly necessary, and often seem completely untested.

Archived