Mutated colours all vanished after update

DaveH

Mutated colours all vanished after update

As the title says.. I've just updated and all my colour mutations have turned white. This is with the exception of the more recently vivid colour mutations. Everything from the original mutations palette is now white. A heck of a lot of work went into these colours. This is on single player. Anyone else got this issue now, or had it before?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question as I have taken time off.. metal respawn issue on my sp on Xbox none has respawned what setting do I adjust to fix it if anyone can advise.

And in regards to the event coloured Dino's.

So far mine have remained coloured or I'm blind and have been collecting normal colours all last week rather than event colours. This wouldn't surprise me.

Eg: Frogs were pink/off white colour and blue/black. 

it doesn't happen to all colours, for example, wyvernblue0 turned into white, specifically colour #18, but wyvernblue1 stayed. Lost magenta on a theri and a green on a theri. I don't know how this gets added, maybe wildcard doesn't play enough to get two opposite gendered dinos? Clearly nobody experienced actually play tested this since almost every dino thats been semi bread will have a colour mutation.

• Volunteer Moderator
15 minutes ago, MSExcel said:

it doesn't happen to all colours, for example, wyvernblue0 turned into white, specifically colour #18, but wyvernblue1 stayed. Lost magenta on a theri and a green on a theri. I don't know how this gets added, maybe wildcard doesn't play enough to get two opposite gendered dinos? Clearly nobody experienced actually play tested this since almost every dino thats been semi bread will have a colour mutation.

My guess would be that your dinos still carry the same color IDs, but a white was inserted in the enum so the colors shifted. Either it be intended during the event or not I can't tell, but you could try disabling the event on your server and verify if the colors goes back to normal, if they do, then you will know it is temporary for the event.

• Wildcard Community

After some investigation, I understand the cause of this...

Unfortunately, any colors lost from this update can't be automatically recovered ? .Dino colors, after their randomized selection, are saved to the creature and referenced by an index number only that is associated with a master array of colors. (No we can't change this unless you want your servers to slow to a crawl, string comparisons are resource expensive)

Unofficial servers (and singleplayer) that run mods are vulnerable to this issue and have always been, any change to the order of mods or anything that alters the contents of that array can cause the index to suddenly match up with a different color. It can happen at any time to any unofficial server (This last update had a pretty important change to the way mods merge color definitions to cut down on some bloated data, and that caused the issue this time)

However, I do recognize how much time everyone puts into breeding and hunting for their choice colors, and while we can't recover the lost colors, I am investigating methods for us to make it so that you can recover them in the future if this happens on your servers. I can't make any promises right now, I'm still in the investigation phase and we also have some larger bugs on our plate, the damage is also already done in this case.

Now while we can't automatically recover your lost colors it is possible for your server admins to do it manually (or yourself if on singleplayer), but don't be too hard on them if they choose not to do this, it will be very tedious and it's not their fault it happened either. There are admin commands for manually assigning colors to specific dino regions, and if you can identify what colors you had (possibly cross-referencing from the wiki, or if special mod colors you might have to ask the mod author for help) then a server admin can help you reapply the colors manually.

Again, I do apologize I know a lot of people put insane time into acquiring these color mutations, the change that caused this was made for the purpose of making the color system better so that we could add new colors in the future and make it so mods could better stack their own color definitions in. ?

UPDATE:
Here is an option that should work pretty well for anyone that knows that none of the mods they had installed added any custom colors.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1940481639

This mod will try to correct all of your dino colors. It works by making assumptions about what the color definitions array looked like for you before the update that caused this, so It's not suitable for us to do in the core game... but as an option, this should actually work pretty well for many.

1 hour ago, ZenRowe said:

After some investigation, I understand the cause of this...

Unfortunately, any colors lost from this update can't be automatically recovered ? .Dino colors, after their randomized selection, are saved to the creature and referenced by an index number only that is associated with a master array of colors. (No we can't change this unless you want your servers to slow to a crawl, string comparisons are resource expensive)

Unofficial servers (and singleplayer) that run mods are vulnerable to this issue and have always been, any change to the order of mods or anything that alters the contents of that array can cause the index to suddenly match up with a different color. It can happen at any time to any unofficial server (This last update had a pretty important change to the way mods merge color definitions to cut down on some bloated data, and that caused the issue this time)

However, I do recognize how much time everyone puts into breeding and hunting for their choice colors, and while we can't recover the lost colors, I am investigating methods for us to make it so that you can recover them in the future if this happens on your servers. I can't make any promises right now, I'm still in the investigation phase and we also have some larger bugs on our plate, the damage is also already done in this case.

Now while we can't automatically recover your lost colors it is possible for your server admins to do it manually (or yourself if on singleplayer), but don't be too hard on them if they choose not to do this, it will be very tedious and it's not their fault it happened either. There are admin commands for manually assigning colors to specific dino regions, and if you can identify what colors you had (possibly cross-referencing from the wiki, or if special mod colors you might have to ask the mod author for help) then a server admin can help you reapply the colors manually.

Again, I do apologize I know a lot of people put insane time into acquiring these color mutations, the change that caused this was made for the purpose of making the color system better so that we could add new colors in the future and make it so mods could better stack their own color definitions in. ?

I was hoping they would just go back after a fix but ohwell :/ 

so if i go through the long process of assigning colours to my dinos, it will be saved, yes? 

• Wildcard Community
2 minutes ago, Glydyr said:

I was hoping they would just go back after a fix but ohwell :/ 

so if i go through the long process of assigning colours to my dinos, it will be saved, yes? 

Yes, though you should be aware that making any changes to your active mods can still potentially cause this kind of issue for the time being.

"the change that caused this was made for the purpose of making the color system better so that we could add new colors in the future and make it so mods could better stack their own color definitions in"

...the changed that caused this was pushed out without proper testing, causing people to lose hundreds upon hundreds of hours of work. Or, it was known to happen already, as I just found a thread about it from 2 years ago, but this was just ignored to the detriment of customers.

Luckily all my mutated colour dinos are named with the colour and region, and in cryo storage. A quick count suggests I've got 561 dinos to get out of storage to check, 5 minutes apart to avoid cryosickness, use admin commands on, then put away. 

So, that will take me 46 hours 45 minutes to correct.

53 minutes ago, DaveH said:

...the changed that caused this was pushed out without proper testing, causing people to lose hundreds upon hundreds of hours of work. Or, it was known to happen already, as I just found a thread about it from 2 years ago, but this was just ignored to the detriment of customers.

If you go back and re-read the whole post, you'll find this snippet:

2 hours ago, ZenRowe said:

Unofficial servers (and singleplayer) that run mods are vulnerable to this issue and have always been

They are very clear on this having been a problem for a long time and it has to do with mods, it's not something they tried to hide.

In any case, I'm interested in learning more about this. Do you run your own server @DaveH? Or are you playing an unofficial or single player? Do you know what mods are running on the server?

3 hours ago, ZenRowe said:

Dino colors, after their randomized selection, are saved to the creature and referenced by an index number only that is associated with a master array of colors.

...the change that caused this was made for the purpose of making the color system better so that we could add new colors in the future and make it so mods could better stack their own color definitions in. ?

So based on this, I assume that my mutated dinos still in cryopods will also be impacted once released, even if I left them cryo'd and opened them 'down the road' long after the event was over? 

I would say as bad as eliminating hundreds of hours of breeding work to achieve specific colors, it also leaves me thinking there's no point in pursuing further color mutations in the future. Shame as that was an interesting aspect of the game, but a lot of work.

I would prefer not to have to use mods to get the best game experience, but alas...

2 hours ago, DaveH said:

Luckily all my mutated colour dinos are named with the colour and region, and in cryo storage. A quick count suggests I've got 561 dinos to get out of storage to check, 5 minutes apart to avoid cryosickness, use admin commands on, then put away. 

So, that will take me 46 hours 45 minutes to correct.

If you are using admin commands to assign colours I dont see any reason not to also use the ClearCryoSickness command during colour assignments to prevent the delay - still a lot of time and effort though :(

fair enough if they have been clear about it. however, 3 years of playing ark, a lot of time spent reading forums, reddit, watching youtube vids, countless ps4 unofficial servers, and a year of modded on single player pc, and this is the first time I have ever seen or heard of this. Being that breeding for colours is such a big part of the game there should be some sort of visible warning.

Didn't know you could remove cryo sickness with commands. I  tend not to use them unless fixing something bug related! But good to know thanks.  Having put some thought into it, the ones in cryo i'll just do as and when/if I get them out for mating.

forgot about my other base. all my argies, ptera and anks with colours from over the last year. A heck of a lot of colours and I can't remember them all. Was planning to start piecing them together and naming them all. Got a couple of screen shots I can maybe reference. that's a pain though.

In answer to a question above, yeah dinos that were in cryo also lose colour.

This is single player, and I open as a non dedicated when my daughters online

re the mods i'm running.:

structures plus

platfoms plus

oz-ark custom seeds

gyrosphere

domination rex

quetz rex

all you can eat snails

dino pick up mod

To confirm we had the same issue on Unoffial PC - The Island.

Mods in use in order of"ActiveMods=" config: 

Archived