First tame on a new map.

Andrewrayven

15 minutes ago, Andrewrayven said:

First tame on a new map.

Whenever a new map drops and you have dropped your high level character in, what is the first dino you tame?

Depends on the situation upon entering the map. Did I transfer items over with me from the other map like a rifle or tranq darts and stuff like that? Or is it a fresh new start?

If I brought items with me, I'd go for a large carno like a Rex or a Spino, something big to traverse and explore with.

If I'm starting from scratch, I'd go for a pack of raptors to guard me while I build/explore.

Really depends on the map, and what opportunities arise. But normally I go for a Ptera even if I can't craft saddle. I use it to help carry stuff and as a body guard.  Sure We're screwed against tough dinos, but it can help out at the beginning.

Otherwise I try to grab a trike earlier on as well.  Gathers berries, hauls resources and is a good bodyguard.

1st tame on a new map has to be a dodo (just to mkae sure taming works on new map and isn't broken) hehehe
No seriously I like to aim for something like an iggy (fast, carrys good wieght and kinda gets berries better than by hand) or argy (c'mon who dont love an argy for that pesky hand farming early game grind and then for general farming once you have harvesting dinos going)
None of the above applied to ab though. I tamed an Ab Megalosaurus and OMG a lvl 75 post tame was amazing (2nd tame was a lightpet when I realised it would help to stop me getting swarmed by nameless and reapers, trust me to start in blue zone when map first dropped ROFL)
With SE it was a lvl 5 thorny dragon on legacy when it first dropped. Spent literally hrs meat taming it for it to die on my first expedition (yeah I know......lvl 5 what did I expect I just liked it cause it looked cool plus I was new to game still when SE 1st released)

Archived