Did elogating rafts change this most recent update?

Novarae

10 hours ago, Novarae said:

Was trying to repair a demolished part to a raft I've turned into a barge for transport and the thatch roof to wood/stone foundation method isn't currently working.

Yea it got stealthily "fixed" recently. Bit of a shame really. I wouldn't mind if the boats where actually foundation like objects you could snap too.

You mean elongating? Yes. I will miss my coastal taming pen dearly.

5 hours ago, Martyn said:

Oh excellent news.  Good to see wc fixing exploits.

You, Sir, clearly don't know what you're talking about.  After meeting pirate roleplayers and dedicating a whole gameplay solely with a tribe of sailors, I've learned to value rafts. Even if WildCard were to add new boats on the near future, I can't help but look at the wooden raft as a Jack of all trades amongst the upcoming models. The whole point of having a bigger raft floor to work with is that one could use it to house and transport dinos. Despite the size of foundation, the structure undernath is frail and still vulnerable to pretty much anyone willing to take it down.

What I see now is that a whole lot of creative people have been restricted on building and that is quite saddening. When I say people I am referring to those who helped on making ark a more enjoyable and fun game to play, not a bunch of bloody alpha-tribe bastards.  Just because some youtuber labelled the whole process as an 'exploit' this doesn't mean it's a bad thing that should be removed from the game. You see, the word exploit carries a bad connotation to wherever it is used. Unintended things can turn out to be very good, taking for example, penicillin. Adding foundations to rafts sure was unintended, but was far from being harmful, abusive or 'overpowered'. 

I built an aircraft carrier styled raft so it would be easier to land birds on.  All by extending the length fore and aft on the 3x3 foundation base.

I've also built nice beaching ramps, off the front of the raft.  Making it easier to run up the ramp onto the deck, rather than having to swim to the rear (in pirahna filled waters).

I like getting to build interesting ships out of the raft.

Is it OP?   Not sure how, seems like you'd just attack the underlying raft and I'd be sunk

18 hours ago, d1nk said:

I think they fixed this for us xb folk last patch.. they fixed it for PC guys with beavers, same with us I believe..

Fixed what? the OP said they are nerfing rafts im not sure what your speaking of. The word FIX defiantly does not apply to nerfing the raft. Its perfect as it other-than lacking autopilot.

1 hour ago, Shebeatsyoui said:

Fixed what? the OP said they are nerfing rafts im not sure what your speaking of. The word FIX defiantly does not apply to nerfing the raft. Its perfect as it other-than lacking autopilot.

It's called fix, because people were exploiting a bug to extend foundations past their allowed limit.. so yes. Fix, not Nerf 

* I personally think we should be able to foundation out further , but that's beside the point.

1 minute ago, d1nk said:

It's called fix, because people were exploiting a bug to extend foundations past their allowed limit.. so yes. Fix, not Nerf 

* I personally think we should be able to foundation out further , but that's beside the point.

OK i get what you mean but to me its not an exploit its a bonus. an exploit allows an unfair advantage this was not that. Any player can build a raft with a little more room. I get why they removed the behemoth gates from being placed on rafts but a few more foundations isn't a bad thing considering a fabricator alone takes up 2 to place. I take pride in my raft bases and each have a specific function none of which give me an unfair advantage. With so many game breaking glitches left unfixed its just silly to fix a bug that was actually a nice bug to have. lol

2 minutes ago, Shebeatsyoui said:

OK i get what you mean but to me its not an exploit its a bonus. an exploit allows an unfair advantage this was not that. Any player can build a raft with a little more room. I get why they removed the behemoth gates from being placed on rafts but a few more foundations isn't a bad thing considering a fabricator alone takes up 2 to place. I take pride in my raft bases and each have a specific function none of which give me an unfair advantage. With so many game breaking glitches left unfixed its just silly to fix a bug that was actually a nice bug to have. lol

I'm not arguing with you over this, I agree and also like to make bigger rafts ... but the fact is it was an expoit and that's it.

We can only hope rafts get a re working and new goals set for them, it seems right now they like to patch (note: used patch instead of fix to please people lol) only the useful things that help us. 

1 hour ago, Rickyh24 said:

Am I understanding this right? We will not be able to put foundations on rafts at all?

No. What were talking about is the extension glitch , where a ceiling is connected to a foundation then another is put under it, effectively extending your boat an extra 2 rows.

This had been patched and that's all were speaking of :)

1 hour ago, Rickyh24 said:

Am I understanding this right? We will not be able to put foundations on rafts at all?

There was an old glitch/exploit where you could snap ceilings onto foundations on platforms, then snap a foundation under the ceiling above thin air. Effectively making the surface area of a raft/pform saddle infinite. This has been patched recently, and the exploit no longer works. 

You can still place foundation on platforms. 

7 minutes ago, Martyn said:

However, if you have a platform or raft, which is using this exploit.  You cannot amend or repair missing bits, until you remove the exploited parts.

As for you.. you're welcome to your opinion.

But it was an exploit and it needed to be fixed.

The only good reason I've seen for it "needing" to be fixed was that apparently on PvE servers people could make massive boats and then park them sticking through the side of people's coastal bases and block off large areas of someone's base with no way of stopping it.

Personally i'd rather they had just made it so things couldn't glitch though fences, rather than stopping us making big boats, but there you. I've got my taming raft on my ded server already so not too worried. I do hope they put some other way of getting big boats into the game though. They are good fun.

edit: Someone also mentioned that you could make rafts infinitely large, this is untrue. You could only extend out 3-4 foundations from a normal foundation using this technique.

would be cool if they put it in as an option for server admins to toggle on and off.

Archived