Any purpose in raising Deinonychus?

Demigod

Any purpose in raising Deinonychus?

I recently returned to Ark after taking a long hiatus for more than a year. The last time I played, Aberration was the newest map and I was settled in on Ragnarok. Fast forward to now and I'm attempting to play some official PVP small tribes servers with a few friends on the new map Valguero. In several attempts to find locations to build and in traveling efforts, the primary thing that slowed us down and killed us more times than anything else was a new creature I have never seen before, known as the Deinonychus. Even with me being capable of outrunning a wild raptor, I could not escape from the speed of this beast and even after escaping from its pounce, found myself bleeding and would shortly die a few seconds later, either by the bleeding damage or the speed of the creature itself. This got me curious about its tame-ability and its usefulness.

After doing a bit of research, I discovered that they cannot be tamed but must be raised from an egg, similar to a Wyvern or Rock Drake. But further research revealed that wild levels only go to 150, whereas the wild levels of Wyverns go to 180. I assume the Wyverns have higher levels due to the inability of have a taming bonus applied. This makes me question: are they worth raising at all? Should my small tribe go out of our way to raise one of these creatures that will hatch at a maximum of 150? I understand that breeding is indeed a mechanic in the game and level mutations will begin to develop and make the creature stronger, but other creatures at least get a taming bonus applied prior to breeding them, and the Wyvern is powerful enough to not warrant a taming bonus being necessary.

tl;dr: Is the Deinonychus worth raising? Is there a benefit I am not seeing here? Has there been an update that raised the max level of the creature to make it up to par with others? So far my research has concluded that we would be better off taming Raptors and getting a decent taming bonus rather than go through the trouble of stealing the egg of a creature that would take 10x as long to be useable and have sub-par stats afterwards. I'm posting on here because I would like some expert (or more experienced players') opinion on the creature and its worth in comparison to others. Thank you in advance.

Also, one lvl 150 Dein could take down 2 lvl 215 raptors; they hit a lot harder than you would think they should.  But I think that the main reason to have them is for the Ab zone.  When it comes to climbing, I'll take them over a Thyla anyday.  They'll stick to anything and can navigate sideways as well as up and down on sheer surfaces.  Also the only creature in the game that doesn't take fall damage.

I breed them exclusively for their fertilised eggs, which are required for Extraordinary Kibble. By only utilising these eggs, I only need to make one set of kibble to tame anything and everything. It's a lot easier (IMO) than getting the materials together for Exceptional Kibble (Focal chilli etc) and I can manage levels easier.

Ofc for low rank dinos (Raptors, Paras, Dodos, Ichy's etc), I use basic or simple kibble as it doesn't work out to be wholly efficient on the lower ends of taming.

3 hours ago, Shamushire said:

I breed them exclusively for their fertilised eggs, which are required for Extraordinary Kibble. By only utilising these eggs, I only need to make one set of kibble to tame anything and everything. It's a lot easier (IMO) than getting the materials together for Exceptional Kibble (Focal chilli etc) and I can manage levels easier.

Ofc for low rank dinos (Raptors, Paras, Dodos, Ichy's etc), I use basic or simple kibble as it doesn't work out to be wholly efficient on the lower ends of taming.

That's my number 1 usage. If you've graduated up from raptors, you've graduated up from deinos. The issue isn't really the dino, it's all the nuisance threats that you are freed from when you're on a tall dino like a spino. That's why people don't use small dinos anymore, it's just endless annoyance compared to a tall dino or flyer. 

4 hours ago, ArkRage said:

Kibble. Idk if I've just had bad luck, but I hatched a 150, 145  130, and a 135 and they were all male? I'm not sure if getting females are rare or not. ??‍♀️  Their sats suck tho. The 150 didn't have a mimimum of 1k hp!  It was like 800 Tf. 

Ouch.  With full imprint you can usually get around 1200-1500, which is still bad, but you can get that up to 5k without having to sink too many lvls into it.

With the changes to the kibble system a lot of dinos that were marginal at best for taming are now entirely pointless. Take for instance that Demetrodon. Why would you go through the annoying effort of taming that garbage (it takes more effort to tame then a Rex) when you can just as easily use aircons. The devs really need to go through the list of all the creatures and do some major tweaking. A useless crappy dino like that should not be more intensive and harder then say taming a T-Rex.

21 hours ago, Shamushire said:

Was planning of getting them for there eggs to make extraordinary kibbles. Do they lay  normal eggs or just fertilised ones?

18 hours ago, Milsurp said:

That's my number 1 usage. If you've graduated up from raptors, you've graduated up from deinos. The issue isn't really the dino, it's all the nuisance threats that you are freed from when you're on a tall dino like a spino. That's why people don't use small dinos anymore, it's just endless annoyance compared to a tall dino or flyer. 

I still use small dinos, when you start up on a map that is not Valgero you have no choice.  That being said, I tried to mixed utility and egg farm.  My kibbles farm are dodo's, Pteta, anko, argentivis, theriz. I also have some Moshup's, turtles and scorpio because they were easy tames at first.

In the endgame, I plan to cryo all those dino's and only use Deinonychus.  I love the new kibble system.

On 12/10/2019 at 9:18 AM, Herbapou said:

I still use small dinos, when you start up on a map that is not Valgero you have no choice.  That being said, I tried to mixed utility and egg farm.  My kibbles farm are dodo's, Pteta, anko, argentivis, theriz. I also have some Moshup's, turtles and scorpio because they were easy tames at first.

In the endgame, I plan to cryo all those dino's and only use Deinonychus.  I love the new kibble system.

The only thing that stops me from getting a tall tame right off on any map is the level restrictions on saddles. If I catch a spino or rex saddle in a drop, the next thing I do is go find a tall spot to pull one into and tranq it down. 

It's just that nuisances are not threats, I don't enjoy being pestered when I'm in a place where I could actually have some scary happening. And the instant you have the ability to make tranq arrows, you are capable of taming a really big friend. It's horrible game design but w/e, I'm way past waiting for WC to get some sense and make actual progression. 

9 hours ago, Milsurp said:

The only thing that stops me from getting a tall tame right off on any map is the level restrictions on saddles. If I catch a spino or rex saddle in a drop, the next thing I do is go find a tall spot to pull one into and tranq it down. 

It's just that nuisances are not threats, I don't enjoy being pestered when I'm in a place where I could actually have some scary happening. And the instant you have the ability to make tranq arrows, you are capable of taming a really big friend. It's horrible game design but w/e, I'm way past waiting for WC to get some sense and make actual progression. 

Wyverns sell for 2k ingots on my server.  Not that hard to farm at low level and they "change everything" when you are low level.  That being said, I had a raptor dismount me from a wyvern once because I was fighting it on a hill. I used them to hunt alphas and level quickly.  I don't like using a Rex or a Giga to hunt, I prefer Wyverns. My favorite ground dino is the Baryonyx because its polyvalent. Sometimes I do a cavern, go hunt shrimps at the bottom of the sea and farm oil and pearls in a single run.

Archived