PVE Players, why do you play on SE

Garet

I'm genuinely curious as to why anyone plays on this map given that everything can be found on Ragnarok except the Phoenix (which is not a great tame.)   I guess I'm specifically asking people who have large bases on SE more than anything else, but I welcome anyone's perspective.

I completely understand that getting Deathworm horns is ridiculously easier on SE than on Rag where they're nearly non existent.

I also see the advantage on SE of there being less players to compete with.

SE was one of the first maps I ever transferred to and the first and only time I joined up with another tribe (and eventually left, I am a solo player.)   I actually enjoy the design of the map, but aside from Extinction, WC has generally been strong at map development, and even the flaws in extinction don't necessarily have to do with the map itself being uninteresting.   I have not run the caves, but I always wanted to.  What I saw of them on youtube, they looked very cool, but I have also read about them being buggy like everything else (trap loot crates?.)   The wyvern trench is much larger, which is somewhat good because there are less concentrated batches of wyverns, but also there doesn't seem to be many egg spawns.  I managed to snag 1, 180 fire wyvern egg.  It took me 3 tries and I really got lucky as there were no wyverns following me when I left.  But it took me a good hour of scouting the trench nervously to try and find an egg, and I was lucky it was a good one.  I never raised that wyvern (or any of them.)

The weather effects seem more annoying than fun.  At first I simply transferred to SE.. I tried to start my own base there at least 3 times... at least 2 times they auto decayed and the third time I simply demolished it.  With 7 maps now on official servers, I was just spread too thin.   I had bases on Island, Aberration, Extinction, Ragnarok, and Valguero, and trying to get started on SE was too much..... but playing on SE without a base is rough also.   Anyways, when I eventually decided to start an additional toon on SE, I did so during a rare 4x that was offered by WC... I don't remember why, they screwed something up.  It seemed like starting a new toon on SE was just a pointless cycle of dying over and over again until you got enough points to put into fortitude because the weather on its own killed you eventually.

The desert drops are ridiculously easy to get once you have a fast tame and its hard to argue they're not OP, but of course not nearly as bad as the ones on Rag.

I never did the Manticore arena, I did the Rag Arena, but I'm well acquainted with the issues of getting it to land.  I am under the understanding that this is a lot less of an issue on SE.... something to do with the arena ceiling?  It's also a nice touch having an actual boss fight you can use flyers on.  It's a shame that an Ascension was never completed for this map.

I have never been a huge fan of Wyverns.  They seem cheesy to me, but after playing Rag for a while with a second toon, I saw the necessity.  Rag is a huge map and traveling to the other side of it without having tek teleporting unlocked is a chore.  Wyverns are fast.   I was using a Rock Drake for a while, but you can't really use them on Rag anymore and that's a separate issue.

I don't think Rag did SE better, but it did it well enough and provided higher level tames.

I'm not going to make the argument that SE isn't worth buying, because quite honestly I figure most people either bought it when it was new (when things were a lot different), or they bought it with the season pass.

Quite honestly I would rather they go back and make changes to SE to improve it and make it more interesting than spend time on Genesis.

But I am genuinely interested in finding out why people play on this map.

I enjoyed the map fairly well but as you say not many do and typing to urself in chat kinda stinks lol the boss was fairly easy the weather cycles kinda keep u occupied listening to jerboas .the look of the map I enjoyed aswell .as far as the deathworm horns rag is best map to gather actually the ice queen cave can gather 50-60 in no time but scorched was always my favorite map .it may have to do with the difficulty of it. great topic tho im interested on why ppl still play this map aswell

I've got a decent server and allies to chat with. Before extinction came out I believe SE was arguably one of the easiest maps to farm element on. I've got 100s of talons and artifacts and the fights are 5-10 mins each if there isn't anything glitchy going on. This was the top reason I remained on SE for pve. Why am I still on it? I absolutely hate the scar on Ragnarok and Vualgero. I think the scar on Scorched is done right - I mean why not? It's the map where the scar is first used. But the amount of land available to build traps on is excellent. It's almost too large for any single asshat to maintain and pillar to hell for more than 2 weeks. 

I also find parts of scorched very pretty. It's not for everyone.

I thoroughly enjoy the set of people who remain as they've got the same attitude towards survival as me. I didn't play this game to go easy street day and day out. Scorched still challenges me from time to time due to its weather cycle. It's frustrating but this is a survival game. If I'm not playing against players I'm playing versus the environment. Other maps you build up and you're comfy in your base all day. Very little to worry about when you fly around. I still get jump scares with deathworms in the dunes and I love it lol.

I have a tribemate who hates it. He can't stand sandstorms or drinking water every 5 minutes, but I don't mind for the reason stated above.

SE has a special place in my heart but if Extinction weren't such an ugly and boring map I'd likely just dump SE for extinction. As you stated before I can obtain wyverns from Rag, so there's really no need for me to keep SE anymore (with my Extinction base fully function now).

If you do not have an extinction base or do not wish to purchase that DLC but own SE, then do make a base there for at least farming the boss for element. Its 3 artifacts and almost no time grinding out 20 of each talon - even solo. I understand that the monkey on the island is easy too but bleh too many artifacts to bother with. Artifact gather isn't challenging or interesting to me at all. I always enjoy the first experience in a cave, but it's rather boring after the 100th time. Why is it like that for caves and not SE for me? I'm really not sure lol! It just is.

I feel like Scorched was the last well thought out paid map and it still had its kinks.

33 minutes ago, slapdashgamer said:

I thoroughly enjoy the set of people who remain as they've got the same attitude towards survival as me. I didn't play this game to go easy street day and day out. Scorched still challenges me from time to time due to its weather cycle. It's frustrating but this is a survival game. If I'm not playing against players I'm playing versus the environment. Other maps you build up and you're comfy in your base all day. Very little to worry about when you fly around. I still get jump scares with deathworms in the dunes and I love it lol.

I have a tribemate who hates it. He can't stand sandstorms or drinking water every 5 minutes, but I don't mind for the reason stated above.

Why do you enjoy the weather events?  Any game mechanic that keeps me from being productive annoys me.   It seems like unless its a lightning storm, I had to sit and hide in a tent for 5 mins doing nothing.  I hated it.  Maybe I hate survival games.  Most of the "survival" elements in ark seem contrived.

It's the main reason I hate breeding.  Sit there and fill troughs or stuff meat in dinos.

I find element much easier on Aberration than SE, but quite honestly they need to cut the poop and just allow people to transfer element.   People are already transferring dust by the thousands.

21 minutes ago, Garet said:

Why do you enjoy the weather events?  Any game mechanic that keeps me from being productive annoys me.   It seems like unless its a lightning storm, I had to sit and hide in a tent for 5 mins doing nothing.  I hated it.  Maybe I hate survival games.  Most of the "survival" elements in ark seem contrived.

It's the main reason I hate breeding.  Sit there and fill troughs or stuff meat in dinos.

I find element much easier on Aberration than SE, but quite honestly they need to cut the poop and just allow people to transfer element.   People are already transferring dust by the thousands.

During the weather events I stay inside my base and craft or raise my tames, so I hardly notice the time go by. Also sandstorms aren't so bad for me? My wyverns have good stam and I usually carry goggles with me (I rock full hazard otherwise) or I'll just sit in the dunes and wait for a DW. Outside of Survival I kind of feel like Ark is a time management game lol. The only true annoying event for me now is the electrical storms. They're dated and pointless to me now. I know they used to be a real pita for pvp when I was playing (legacy days). Also a good time to take some irl bathroom breaks or food breaks lol! The worst weather event for me is honestly the island rain... I mean I'm glad rain has evolved (lol) because I can't see my own character on that map when that happens.

I do agree about transferring element but I can see where this could be abused in PvP. Maybe that's why it's not a thing yet? I say that but then there are a ton of things done in updates without any real consideration of either... It's kinda of a 50/50 chance on who it screws lol.

• 1 month later...

I love SE purely because it was the first map that taught me to truly survive, weather events, 1/3 extra food and water consumption, the idea that if my dino dies half way across the map getting back to base is a challenge rather than something that can be breezes like some of the other maps. my partner and I started playing about 6 months into playing and since then it has always been our favorite map.

Like previous posts have said the weather is part and parcel of game play on SE, like radiation on Ab and Corrupted Dinos on Extinction. It is something that makes the map unique and something that has to be adapted to.

SE taught me that everything wants to kill you.... which made Ab easier... which made Extinction easier.

• 3 weeks later...

Scorched Earth is already a map left in the dust of the community so its not like we are missing out on pvp as it has already left, playing the map in pvp adds an extra level of PvP that some players just dont want to face. Asking this question is similar to asking why do you play PvE in general, the answer is i like the map but dont have the time to rebuild all the time. 

I played it as single player when it come out.

Playing om island and wanted Vulture.

As i remember that vulture are on SE from single player so i created an avatar on official.

With pain  i had to re remember all things why i hated it back in single player mode.

Like stone house burn you alive when outside is midnight 4 Celsius and actually cold.

Or that generator decay, or if distance between house walls is to big you lose insulation protection etc

All just for few things i wanted on island - vulture, cactus broth and maybe to tame a pig daeodon  or how is called.

Loved SE mainly for its environment, the weather and its effects is to date still the best WC imho has done to make it challenging.  Even with Desert gear you risk a lot each time you go out.

To compare it with other maps now is well a bit different, I think modded maps that became official have a benefit of being at least for me easier to find max level dinos and in good quantity vs WC official maps etc.  However Rags desert imho is a bit tame and wish it was harsher.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived