Can you build from scratch still on official servers?

apchem

Thanks, I have quickly discovered that I am an alpha raptor magnet when I venture off the noob beach... I am watching a ton of videos, so hopefully I will figure out how to survive a bit better to find some places to build. Judging by the number of posts you have made you seem like a very experienced player. Do you find that tribes are willing to take on a completely new player this far into the game?

Recommendation is dont look up well know areas, most of the time as said above you just gotta build in that inconvenient area and make do until you find a better spot, if on PvE don't be afraid to ask if there are unclaimed spots. 

Also if needed hop a few servers until you find a server with something more accommodating to long term living on official.

Now if your on PvP... I wish you luck.

3 hours ago, apchem said:

Do you find that tribes are willing to take on a completely new player this far into the game?

Not to often but if you join some FB Ark pages like trade pages, sometimes people will be recruiting.

The risk of a new member stealing and destroying stuff is great so most people avoid bringing on strangers. 

There is a tribe section on this page that people recruit from sometimes as well.

Also, look up how to build a raft trap, then kite those Alpha Raptors in and kill them for great XP and the chance at upgraded tools and crossbows.

If you do find a chance to build on a server, just contribute to the community, don't ask for free stuff, and eventually you'll make allies and possibly even the option to merge (join will make you leave all your stuff so make sure you select merge if the opportunity ever arises) your tribe with an established tribe.

Friendly heads up. Beware of people offering free stuff. They try to merge with you and steal your tribe.  Often they are "quitting the game" or "have too many dinos". Ark has cryopods so if they really want to give free stuff, they can just drop you the tames cryopodded. 

In Ark (assuming PvE) you still have to watch shady tactics from players who get their kicks from others misery as well the wilds.

Still, even with the hundreds of bugs you'll encounter, it's the best game I ever played.

thanks for the helpful advice. I used to be a hardcore endgame raider in WOW and I love being part of guilds that work together... then I got married... recently I have been playing 7 days to die and Path of Exile... and over the last few days I have been playing ARK and I absolutely love it... the learning curve seems high, but hopefully I will get some friends in game soon enough and get to enjoy that side of the game.

Get it out of your head right now that there's a "noob area" because there isn't.  Alpha's spawn on all the beaches, Spinos spawn in the rivers, I've tamed some pretty high level Rexs in the southeast river area and even seen packs of allos there (although rare.)

WC labeled certain areas "easy" and it's bullpoop.  It's completely, 100% false.

Just like they labeled portal easy on Aberration and then raptor packs kill you and Ravagers and Basilisks fall down from the upper levels.

25 minutes ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

Lol. You know, I survive the longest as a noob spawning at one of the Edge spawns and they're classified as hard.

Edge 4 puts you not far from the NE surface cave, which is the safe end of the river.  Aside from a few raptors and some rare spawns that seem to come out of the blue area (ravagers, arthropleura), it's one of the safest areas on the map. 

I had a base there right next to the waterfall.  Karks, Spinos, and Piranhas don't spawn that far down the river.  Just those dangerous otters.

2 minutes ago, Garet said:

Edge 4 puts you not far from the NE surface cave, which is the safe end of the river.  Aside from a few raptors and some rare spawns that seem to come out of the blue area (ravagers, arthropleura), it's one of the safest areas on the map. 

I had a base there right next to the waterfall.  Karks, Spinos, and Piranhas don't spawn that far down the river.  Just those dangerous otters.

Our base on my first Ab server was right there. 2 drops, early map metal, surface entrance with no nameless, gas collectors and a charge node right there. Probably one of the best base spots for sure.

6 hours ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

Our base on my first Ab server was right there. 2 drops, early map metal, surface entrance with no nameless, gas collectors and a charge node right there. Probably one of the best base spots for sure.

I can't tell you how many times people would transfer to the map thinking they could just go to an obelisk or they brought dinosaurs that were not allowed on Ab, and there are 4-6 drops that spawn by that cave, but nobody ever listened when I told them where to go when they were complaining they were stuck on the map.  Same with people on this forum who think its SO hard to transfer off Aberration.

Archived