Stat Increases without mutation?

thewingedshadow

Greetings! 

I'm a rather new player to ARK, I got the game upon Early Access release on Steam, played for 2 hours and never touched it again until my boyfriend got me back into it a couple of weeks ago. We play on our private server, hosted by Nitrado. Only the taming, maturation and breeding timers are changed, also the difficulty is 5, the highest wild dino I saw was 150. All the other settings are vanilla. I definitely have not touched the stat distribution or anything like that.

I have started breeding for stats recently. I have read that Dimorphodons, aside from being terrible pests in the wild, are rather nice when exploring caves (which I still haven't done but intend to do), so I got lucky taming a level 120 male (146 after taming) and a lower level female, 79 after taming. I wrote their stats down immediately after taming. I haven't spent any domestic points on the male.

The male had 201.2 dmg, the female 204.3, all the other stats were higher on the male. I bred them a couple of times and on the first breeding something weird happened already - the babies had 208,2% dmg.

Eventually I had a m/f set of twins with all my desired stats, everything from the male except damage and oxygen (the lower value of the 2), level 136. I started breeding them. I got multiple identical dimorphodons of level 136, no mutations so far. I got bored of seeing the same color again and again and bred my 3 identical females with the original level 146 male. I got distracted so only 2 eggs survived.

Here's the thing.

The first baby, a male, was level 138. I thought there was a mutation and checked the stats. Nope. There's 0/0 on both sides. The stats are identical to the females, but it has 219,9% dmg! 

The second baby was level 140! It's actually born of the very first 136 female, so it's kind of 3d generation? It got 219,9 dmg as well, and the higher oxygen stat of 420, which explains the level difference. Zero mutations shown on this one too.

How does the dmg stat happen? 

I attached the mutation window of the baby and the stat windows of the baby and his mother.

dimos_1.JPG

dimos_2.JPG

dimos_3.JPG

Imprints will increase stats without mutations but this stat rise cant be passed out to new babies. We always name our dinos before the first imprint takes into effect. We name our dinos like this : H#### S#### W#### M####

where:

H#### is the health number

S#### is the stamina number

W#### is the weight number

M#### is the melee damage number 

11 minutes ago, Herbapou said:

Imprints will increase stats without mutations but this stat rise cant be passed out to new babies. We always name our dinos before the first imprint takes into effect. We name our dinos like this : H#### S#### W#### M####

where:

H#### is the health number

S#### is the stamina number

W#### is the weight number

M#### is the melee damage number 

Doesn't look like they're imprinted yet from those screenshots? Imprinting was my first (and only) thought.

I do not imprint my breeders because I like to see the clean stats. You can also clearly see from the screenshots their imprinting is 0. The stat increase is from birth, which is what puzzles me! I haven't encountered this in my breeding lines of Argy's and Baryonyxes, but had a couple of mutations, so I know what those look like. This is the second dmg increase for the Dimorphodons too... and no mutations anywhere. I have one mutated Dimorphodon from the original pairing so probably not a server bug either... I will breed a couple more and see if it happens again.

2 hours ago, thewingedshadow said:

I have had something similar happen with tek rexes, I was breeding with a high level male and lower level female to try and get the best stats into the offspring. I ended up getting babies born at a level between the parents with stats better than the parents, but not by a lot, I don't know how this happens but I would like to.

I now have a pair of same level, same stat tek rexes to breed from. Hopefully I will get some proper mutations now.

8 minutes ago, WarpSpasm said:

I have had something similar happen with tek rexes, I was breeding with a high level male and lower level female to try and get the best stats into the offspring. I ended up getting babies born at a level between the parents with stats better than the parents, but not by a lot, I don't know how this happens but I would like to.

I now have a pair of same level, same stat tek rexes to breed from. Hopefully I will get some proper mutations now.

Yes, too a high level male and a low level female here. the first stat increase was dmg from 204 to 208, and now the second to 219 when I bred the females to the original male. the original male has 201 or 202 dmg? I will check next time I log in.

Edit: Apparently there is a maximum level of posts one can make per day, so I can't reply anymore today. 

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, WarpSpasm said:

I didn't know that was a thing, I know there is a limit to how many times a post in advertisements can be bumped by comments within a 24hr period.

The post limit if for those still in Early Birds status. It's to mitigate spammers from blasting the site with spam.

When you start breeding from wild tames the babies will have slightly better stats due to the taming effectiveness. It's a little complicated but when you tamed the wild parents there effectiveness was below 100% so when you breed them the baby comes out with 100% efectiveness and will cause the stats to be slightly better than whichever stats came from said parent. Since you tamed a 120 that only came out 146 the efectiveness was clearly low and when you bred it back into the babies the new babies got the melee from it that time and with 100% effectiveness it showed a much bigger gain that time.

The issue the OP noticed has to do with taming effectiveness.  Since the tames were not tamed with 100% effectiveness ,  the melee they see on the tame will be slightly short of the actual full value.  Should they pass on the point value over to a baby,  the claimed baby has a 100% taming effectiveness,  therefore the baby will show the true value to the stat.   Sounds like the parents either had the exact same point value or were a point or 2 difference at most.

1 hour ago, GrumpyBear said:

The issue the OP noticed has to do with taming effectiveness.  Since the tames were not tamed with 100% effectiveness ,  the melee they see on the tame will be slightly short of the actual full value.  Should they pass on the point value over to a baby,  the claimed baby has a 100% taming effectiveness,  therefore the baby will show the true value to the stat.   Sounds like the parents either had the exact same point value or were a point or 2 difference at most.

I am curious why taming effectiveness would cause this?  My understanding is taming effectiveness just determines how many levels will be applied randomly to the stats as a bonus upon tame completion.  The implication with your comment above is that it is possible to take a 1% tame effectiveness dino and breed it to achieve an offspring with what would've been 100% effectiveness?  I was not aware of this.  It seems like it completely negates the importance of taming efficiency if you are setup well to breed.

• Volunteer Moderator

There was a similar thread:

7 minutes ago, PertySlick said:

I am curious why taming effectiveness would cause this?  My understanding is taming effectiveness just determines how many levels will be applied randomly to the stats as a bonus upon tame completion.  The implication with your comment above is that it is possible to take a 1% tame effectiveness dino and breed it to achieve an offspring with what would've been 100% effectiveness?  I was not aware of this.  It seems like it completely negates the importance of taming efficiency if you are setup well to breed.

29 minutes ago, PertySlick said:

Just remember that actual breeding value of melee might and probably will be higher than what wildtame parent has. If you want detailed explanation, try this:

https://ark.gamepedia.com/Breeding

but that just makes my brain hurt.

22 hours ago, invincibleqc said:

There was a similar thread:

Thank you! I think it's what happened in my case! 

21 hours ago, deedoubleu said:

Just remember that actual breeding value of melee might and probably will be higher than what wildtame parent has. If you want detailed explanation, try this:

https://ark.gamepedia.com/Breeding

but that just makes my brain hurt.

Thank you as well - I have read parts of the breeding article at different times but too much math at once breaks my brain as well. Apparently I completely ignored the part about taming effectiveness.

I don't watch Youtube, it's very exhausting for me. Apart from the wiki, it seems to be very hard to find clear and up to date material. I have traversed various reddit posts and also various threads on this forum, but most of those are from before 2018 and as I understand, some things have changed since then, so I still have much to learn about this game!

1 hour ago, thewingedshadow said:

so I still have much to learn about this game!

You and me both.

Trying to read and take in all the math just hurts my head, like trying to read and understand a foreign language without any source to aid translation.

P.S. welcome to ark and the forum, I wish you the best of luck with your future endeavours.

Archived