PC (PvE) Players: What breaks this game for you?

Rio4201

You cant decide what people can do or not in tha game, the question is what is broken, and endless mutatiin is ruining the game when it was supposed to have a limit at 20/20 on one side of the parents, i think that also will makes breeders treasure more their stats since it will be unique since the end result will depend on the base stats and not the endless mutations obtained without playing the game. But seems works great for selling the game as a trading simulator instead of a survival game.... maybe I am a purist missing the old ark, before mutations when people use to treasure more their tames and boss fights was only a thing for high skilled tribes that was able to find a strat like flying with archas to the top o a ledge at the monkey arena, not as now that require only to whistle and roar your yuty, you have to agree is boring as hell.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know how it was in early days of ark, but I know that even rexes bred from wildtames with decent saddles and yuty is enough for alpha monkey. I'm not saying playing metal farming simulator all day to buy op rexes and kill bosses in 10 seconds is what ark supposed to be , but I will argue in defence of current mutation system.

Endless mutations and true 20/20 is realistically the same thing. You can still have any desired stat with 130 base points, not every gene line reached this even with current implementation of mutation mechanic. What would make a noticeable difference is no mutations at all, but that would make every line the same, what is there to treasure if your dinos have same base stats as your neighbor's dinos?

13 hours ago, Erinn said:

So when someone asks you "Hey dude, do you know if the x2 event is already on?" you respond with "IT'S NOT x2 IT'S ACTUALY x4, please educate yourself about our humble ark history, when developers were testing rates and decided they need to pump the numbers up!!!"

Nah, it was not testing. That rate was there for a looong time. Why dont you educate yourself instead.

I'm PVE only but i would like to learn dino magic and maybe one day try to use it in PVP.

How to ignore collision? Bronto do it and pass trough behemoth gate, trough house wall behind gate to reach with his head center of house.

Dodo have strange ability to go trough stone celling, stone foundation, wall and even trough tek foundation.

My rex have ability to go under tertian. Will add a pic saved on steam if i find how.

Those are just few examples of very powerful magic. With this knowledge no one is safe on PVP..

Btw about mentioned trough bug. Seem that baby or adolescent giga have ability not just to stop eat but to cause all food in his inventory and it trough to spoil a lot faster.

I have few trough in base , some are out of giga range and in them food have normal spoil rate and are safe from premature  spoil.

Cant upload pic, too big.

6 hours ago, Luewen said:

Nah, it was not testing. That rate was there for a looong time. Why dont you educate yourself instead.

Uuuhm...I did? As far as I know, beta game is (quoting googled internet resources):

It's a work-in-progress version of a game that is released for testing, generally to a limited number of paid testers or selected users.

So yeah dude... I don't know what are you talking about ???.

Ok after I stopped laughing I want to add this - you can't analyze data after a day, or a week or even a month after the game was released and make big decisions based on that. You need more information from a longer time period, the longer the better (that's what she said, right?) and collect info in intervals so you can see the progress curve. That's probably one of many reasons they didn't boost the rates after the first week.

Stuff that break the game for me:
1 - Server Saves not registering some moves while detecting others (I posted a thread about this with some nice feedback).
2 - Glitched bosses (manticore)

1) I almost lost a Wyvern because I went to land, and instead of landing, he hovered around. Now this I gotten used to as showing me it was a server save, but for that particular save, I found myself suddenly elsewhere, and my Wyvern took almost his whole health pool in fall damage pretty much the instant the server was done saving. The action to land had been registered, but my change of position was not. The way to remedy this imo is to add a little image somewhere on the screen during the server save (perhaps bottom left, below the chat)

2) Alpha Val is practically impossible due to the Manticore not landing. Ranged abilities are barely, or not enough DPS to beat the timer. I wont even bother to go on that run, so that means I miss out on some of the Tek patterns I want.

The other things that I dont like (that I have tolerated):
- Wilds dismounting humans
- Wilds stunning humans
- Wilds damaging metal and higher
- Lack of chat filters: it's see all chatter, including vulgarities and steam players I've blocked; or see nothing, no allies, local nor tribe chat.
- Building preview lying. You want it to snap there? Well sorry charlie, lets snap it somewhere else. RIP materials.
- Stat nerfs to tames, speed hard-capped on tames. I miss flying around in such a way it gave me super happy feels. I've not felt that in a long time.
- Inability to get 100% imprint if even an hour is missed on imprinting
- Inability to get 100% imprint if partially raised during 2x
- Tek Locked behind bosses. (I only beat two official, plus one legacy, since I started playing in 2015. I love to build and dinos, but I loathe combat.)
- 15 min warnings before server shutdown (I want at least an hour)
- auto-demolish structures. (I prefer being able to demolish a place if they have truly quit, or I could miss it by a little and come back to my structurs still there, if no one has removed it)
- Quite a lack of interaction between devs and players before something is added. The thread recently by Cedric (of upcoming changes) was so nice to see, I want more of that.
- Pickup nearby hotkey conflicting with "access inventory" (imo, it'd  be smart to assign that to a key that doesnt conflict with another action, Like, assign pickup nearby to the same as drop. Those two actions cannot conflict because drop is inside an inventory and the pickup is always outside. It seems like the person who made the choice of the pickup nearby hotkey wasnt thinking clearly.)
- inability to copy/download my official tames into my singleplayer worlds. I dont have VR so that Ark Park isnt an option for me.
- lack of a non-hostile server to help new players learn the game (I heard a friend try those, new player spawn camped by wild raptors... death death death.. ragequit and never play again. Beginner servers doenst seem like a good server to learn how to play the game. no officials seem to be good for that imo, because of the hostiles killing you near player spawns.

and many other things...

I been playing this game since 2015. over 13,000 hours mostly on PvE Official. I love eye candy, building, crafting, riding dinos, taking my time, hoarding items, and playing with friends. there is so much in this game I enjoy, that the cons still dont outweight the pro's... But boy howdy sometimes there's so much bad in this game that I have totally ragequit at least twice twice, spending several months away from the game. Ragequit reasons... maybe I should list them...

My "last straw" ragequit reasons (game breaking for me, but not bugs):
1st time: On Legacy before it was Legacy: My Juvenile giga died. I had stayed up 16 hours, went to RL bed after I filled 22 troughs with cooked meat. Giga was dead 4 hours later.
2nd time: Legacy: Someone build a 4-high, 12+ wide wall of behemoths on aberration blocking my way home. Devs didnt intervene because it was "legacy"
3rd time: After Extinction, before Val: I dont quite remember. It was either the Defenders damaging my metal on Extinction PvE, or some clash with some other players on PvE center, and I had enough of being unable to filter their chat without also hiding tribe chat.

Additional thoughts:
Ark has been sitting in the #1 position as my favorite game since 2015, only losing it's position by Boundless for a couple weeks (until Boundless added Exoworlds, so then Ark went back to my #1). This month, Portal Knights has won that spot in my list because of many things that I like  is in that game, that Ark does not have: No durability loss on tools and gear, no stamina drain, no food drain, no water drain... but of those game features, I dont see it being fitting for the current playerbase of Ark (but no drains is made possible on Singleplayer). I dont expect those features to be part of Official Ark anytime soon.

Final thoughts for this post:
There is a lot of stuff in this game that i wish did not exist, and stuff that shouldnt exist to begin with, but I put up with 'most' of the 'features' I dislike because there is still enough good stuff to  keep me playing practically everyday, primarily my friends, and all the stuff (yummy eye candy and DInos my gosh the dinos) I have spent time on getting (and literally right now I am on Official PvE). I have hope that this game will continue to improve over time. The more Wildcard listens to it's community, the better I believe this game will become.

P.S.  If you are wondering why I avoid the hard/complicated/challenging stuff: Adrenaline hurts me. I want to relax and have fun, not give myself a heart attack. I limit what I do and where I go in Ark, because I have to be mindful of my limited spoons (SpoonTheory).

I think the term "break" gets thrown around too often but I'm happy to throw my 2cp in for something genuinely broken as hell:

VR

Yeah, them two letters. Does Wildcard intend to leave its VR function in an unusable state for the rest of the game's life? 'cos it's what stops me buying anything more from them. You give us a feature and make it work or don't pretend you have the feature. 

Again, I'm fairly new so take what I say with a grain of salt.

I started off playing on official PvP and honestly haven't had too bad an experience there though I've been playing mostly nomadic and haven't tried setting down roots and getting offline raided.  This past weekend though I decided I'd give official PvE and official Offline Raid Protection servers a go so I could actually start learning how to breed dinos and maybe eventually find some peeps to hit ascended....and boy was that a deal breaker right there.  Say what you will about the toxic nature of PvP servers, but every Island server I tried loading into had the explorer notes blocked off, huge monstrous borg cubes everywhere, large swaths of the maps were pillared...it's amazing how bad people will act when there's no consequences to their actions

On 12/4/2019 at 4:52 PM, Quilleute said:

Although I agree droop loots needs to be reworked  , the constant persue of better bp, it’s a challenge within the game , some should really be hard to achieve . 

p. S.  Took you 3 months for a Rex bp ? , took me a year to find one and to be true , I appreciated her much more for it cause it’s an achievement itself . 

If you guys want better quality bp’s set the difficulty to as high as you can tolerate and you will get the better loot drops

16 hours ago, Erinn said:

Uuuhm...I did? As far as I know, beta game is (quoting googled internet resources):

It's a work-in-progress version of a game that is released for testing, generally to a limited number of paid testers or selected users.

So yeah dude... I don't know what are you talking about ???.

Ok after I stopped laughing I want to add this - you can't analyze data after a day, or a week or even a month after the game was released and make big decisions based on that. You need more information from a longer time period, the longer the better (that's what she said, right?) and collect info in intervals so you can see the progress curve. That's probably one of many reasons they didn't boost the rates after the first week.

This is exactly the thing.  EA was just that:  Early Access to a game being actively developed, expanded, tested (by us), and changed.  The current official server 1x rates were changed from the old rates because the developers felt the game moved too slowly as part of the Early Access shaping of the game.  The rate change was a base rate change, not a "favor" done because WildCard believes the playerbase is lazy, nor was it done so people can pull the old "two miles, uphill both ways, with snow, and no shoes" argument to try and convince people who feel that the current 1x norm/2x evo rates are a bit too much.

EA is over, and has been since 2017.

Archived