PC (PvE) Players: What breaks this game for you?

Rio4201

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, deedoubleu said:

I'm not sure about that. Don't know how exactly it's implemented, yet I'm pretty sure it doesn't make any significant difference for server if you have 1 or 100 thatch since it's still holding information about item and its amount. Some portion of memory is already dedicated for storing specific value and 2 is only "heavier" than 1 in your mind, but not for the server.

It might have indirect effect though. For example, people are waiting till 2x to go gathering stuff, so more people do it at the same time as a result, but higher rate could help spread this in time .

Crashing the server by harvesting berries with bronto and increased rates wants to have a word with you. And that was steady phenomenom. 

7 hours ago, Luewen said:

Crashing the server by harvesting berries with bronto and increased rates wants to have a word with you. And that was steady phenomenom. 

Interesting. And I would like to have a word with it. At what rate it starts to happen? Official or unofficial? Can you reproduce it 10/10?

Show me how it can be reliably done and I will go collect my 200$ bounty, I promise to give you a tenner from that or something.

4 hours ago, Garet said:

They literally just did an event with 9.25X rates, and yes, it did screw with the servers, but 2x is fine.  4x on the weekend would have been fine.

Can't be 100% certain it doesn't directly affect server performance, ark is ark afterall. But how can you be sure it was rate that lagged and crashed the server?

During charity event I was raising theris and gathered berries using bronto, I also dropped everything except mejo so was doing it for a reasonably long periods of time and often. Never crashed on berry run. But server was crashing more than ever before(it always was one of the worst stability-wise). So was that someone else brontoharvesting harder than me or separate issue? Everyone was raising 100+ babies at a time, might have something to do with how sluggish server became. People searched high levels for "instant" taming, keeping whole map rendered in process. Could that add to the lag? I'm sure it could and did. And a lot of other stuff could have been happening at the same time that I'm not even aware of.

Someone is always last to know, right? So maybe that's me and everyone else knows about rate=lag issue, but I will remain skeptical until I can see some kind of proof.

20 hours ago, AngrySaltire said:

I disagree, I think ORP was one the best QoL features added. Sure its not perfect, as shown by the many problems. But everything in this game takes an absolute age to do, requires so much time investment, even with boosted rates, never mind on official rates, just for something to happen when you're offline and lose everything. I like being able to switch the game off knowing that my stuff is safe, without ORP you log off hoping for the best with that nagging feeling that something might happen. Otherwise you are constantly worrying about the game even when not playing which is just silly.

I dont lol. No more did I have to worry about someone kitting my base with a bronto during the night or log onto a tribe log full of dead dinos because yet another alpha raptor or pack of allos spawned inside of my base. If the game wants to chuck a curve ball at me it can do it when I am online.

If u get raided by wild or player, build better next time.... there are turrets on PVE for a reason and fence support FENCE.... Build one around in metal ASAP, to kill wild spawning inside just place some turrets inside your base, people on PVE should focus on defenses and strategic building before they start to collect vualuable dinos, its simply as real life, bring childrens to this world too young and with no financial stability and life will......

16 hours ago, NeDeX said:

the most bad thing atm on pve its the squares tribes right everyone know them [][][][] who spam the chat like monkeys also claim land like reatrds till infront of ur base . mostly of them are chinesse they overflooded the NA/EU servers u cant talk to them cause of course they are ignorant or cant type in English at all . we need region lock for them :) then all should be alright .

Welcome to the new world, frontiers and language barriers are falling, dont blame players because ark doesnt have support for asian, rusian, greek and other languages without changing the steam launching options, I know plenty of players from EU and NA that love to pillar servers just because they want to "protect spawn" high resources areas are already protected by devs... they just want to keep the metal and beaver dams next to their bases to massive produce tek structures to trade for more colorful dinos with those chinesse, so is a endless circle, check your dinos ancestral tree and pretty sure you will see some boxes as well, same as your 90% material stuff at your house... they will have a made in china label...

official server player, listed from most intolerable to the least

1, real money trading (i simply cant talk about this more...)

2, disconnect, server crashing, role back.... (general server problem, causing character loss and so on)

3, tribe insiding (new players don't get a tribe and tribes don't get new players due to this, an ip address based credential system may help)

4, lag (not harmful, but omnipresent, no solution, sadly )

5, glitches, those that can be exploited, destructive, or simply... mood breaking (dinos stuck in floor)

6, pillars (almost no one like these, yet almost everyone does this. its like a war where you get caught in the cross fire if you don't start firing yourself)

7, hitbox problems (ever seen a dodo with 10 arrows on its head walking around? ever stuck in your dino?)

8, building height limit (land in pve is precious!!!!! and yet we cant go vertical?)

9, "123"s, (so many players use this name, some to protect themselves, some to evade punishment when they do something unspeakable)

personally i think the game mechanics in pve is not perfect but close, most issues are out side of game mechanics

9 hours ago, SpCowboy said:

Welcome to the new world, frontiers and language barriers are falling, dont blame players because ark doesnt have support for asian, rusian, greek and other languages without changing the steam launching options, I know plenty of players from EU and NA that love to pillar servers just because they want to "protect spawn" high resources areas are already protected by devs... they just want to keep the metal and beaver dams next to their bases to massive produce tek structures to trade for more colorful dinos with those chinesse, so is a endless circle, check your dinos ancestral tree and pretty sure you will see some boxes as well, same as your 90% material stuff at your house... they will have a made in china label...

if only ark has a inbuilt translator!!!!!

15 hours ago, deedoubleu said:

Interesting. And I would like to have a word with it. At what rate it starts to happen? Official or unofficial? Can you reproduce it 10/10?

Show me how it can be reliably done and I will go collect my 200$ bounty, I promise to give you a tenner from that or something.

It was when the normal rates was half what its now. With 2x evo event it was high change of crashing server when ever harvesting berries with more than one bronto. Luckily servers are more stable now. But high rates its still possible. There was a mention at extralife stream that 12x is pretty much max official servers can handle.

7 hours ago, Luewen said:

It was when the normal rates was half what its now. With 2x evo event it was high change of crashing server when ever harvesting berries with more than one bronto. Luckily servers are more stable now. But high rates its still possible. There was a mention at extralife stream that 12x is pretty much max official servers can handle.

They run 2x rates almost every weekend (until an event starts and now they apparently just raptor everyone over on taming.)  It's fine.

19 hours ago, SpCowboy said:

If u get raided by wild or player, build better next time.... there are turrets on PVE for a reason and fence support FENCE.... Build one around in metal ASAP, to kill wild spawning inside just place some turrets inside your base, people on PVE should focus on defenses and strategic building before they start to collect vualuable dinos, its simply as real life, bring childrens to this world too young and with no financial stability and life will......

I always focus on base defense, its should be a given. Behemoth gate perimeter, spawn killing foundations, plant species x turrets and neutral guard dinos at the very least. Latterly I swapped out the plant x for velonosaurs and tek turrets as I couldnt be bothered with the fertiliser. Regardless I am not a fan of the possibility of losing stuff when offline, game can screw me over when I am online and able to react.

11 hours ago, Luewen said:

Now this is interesting. If this is correct I'm really curious now how they managed to achieve that.

22 hours ago, SpCowboy said:

Isn't that what pvp is for? What's the point in having 2 modes if both would be the same?

13 hours ago, nameless said:

official server player, listed from most intolerable to the least

3, tribe insiding (new players don't get a tribe and tribes don't get new players due to this, an ip address based credential system may help)

Sorry to pour cold water on your idea but a lot of ISPs only provide dynamic IP addresses to their users. An IP based credential system wouldn't be a practical solution. 

1 hour ago, deedoubleu said:

Now this is interesting. If this is correct I'm really curious now how they managed to achieve that.

Isn't that what pvp is for? What's the point in having 2 modes if both would be the same?

PVE must have also a dosis of thread for players or the game becomes boring, is about survive against enviroment, thats include the posibility to be attacked by wilds creatures, pvp open more posibilities to be attacked directly by other players, but they cant harm you on PVE, not directly but some people think is funny to grief, there is where CoC comes out, but Offline protection took away the realistic aspect of the game on PVE and dedicated servers, because times stops for players offline, that more like single player mode... maybe this made multiplayer mode more interesting for new players, but in m opinion, ORP should not be active on officials PVE, because makes players doesnt build thinking they need to protect their bases at all and thats should be the point of the game SURVIVE AND EVOLVE all the time.... not only while you are on the first 2 hrs, runing naked.

8 minutes ago, SpCowboy said:

PVE must have also a dosis of thread for players or the game becomes boring, is about survive against enviroment, thats include the posibility to be attacked by wilds creatures, pvp open more posibilities to be attacked directly by other players, but they cant harm you on PVE, not directly but some people think is funny to grief, there is where CoC comes out, but Offline protection took away the realistic aspect of the game on PVE and dedicated servers, because times stops for players offline, that more like single player mode... maybe this made multiplayer mode more interesting for new players, but in m opinion, ORP should not be active on officials PVE, because makes players doesnt build thinking they need to protect their bases at all and thats should be the point of the game SURVIVE AND EVOLVE all the time.... not only while you are on the first 2 hrs, runing naked.

Different strokes for different folks.

Imho people who want to fight for their life all the time go to pvp and pve scene is for more relaxed gameplay with emphasis on building, breeding, trading etc. There is no one "right" way to play ark and judging by how pve was handled and balanced so far, it is not intended to be just another pvp mode without shooting each other.

28 minutes ago, SpCowboy said:

You're fooling yourself if you think that's what most people on PVE want.  You're in the minority.   The vast majority of established PVE players  just sit there and raise dinos all day and trade.  There's very few players actually risking anything.

On 12/4/2019 at 6:49 PM, wildbill said:

On land:

1) The seagull (Ichthyornis)

2) Pegomastax

I hate that the stealing your stuff mechanic was added. This ruined any base location that has these two guys for me. So annoying.

In the sea:

1) Electrophorus

2) Eurypterid

3) Squid (Tusoteuthis)

4) Jellyfish (Cnidaria)

The whole freeze you and you can't move mechanic. I hate it. This was also added for raptors, which I hate. I don't like them dismounting either.

I guess I'm just a lazy PvE player, I don't like surprises and mechanics that suddenly put me in a life and death situation for my character when otherwise I was perfectly safe.

It sounds more like you don't like being in situations where you aren't allowed to actually play against the things that are attacking you. 

Me either, and there is nothing wrong with that. Immobilization mechanics are the most avoided mechanics in games, because it's incredibly easy to cause player frustration instead of player enjoyment. You have to implement them very carefully and test them a lot to make sure they're upping the tension instead of destroying the fun.
Random item loss is simply not done, for the same reason. Players don't like it when they lose stuff without a chance to actually play in some way. Imagine if instead of seagulls and pegos, you had to walk through an area which just poofed something out of your inventory. How many players would say "Oh, that's fun!" and how many would say ... words you can't put in a forum post lol. 

6 hours ago, Garet said:

You're fooling yourself if you think that's what most people on PVE want.  You're in the minority.   The vast majority of established PVE players  just sit there and raise dinos all day and trade.  There's very few players actually risking anything.

How is that the PvE players' fault? Those same players do all kinds of things in other games, because the developers made things to do. WC did not, because they fell into the trap of thinking their PvP market was big enough to keep them going without the PvE market, and you don't have to create a lot of PvE content for PvPers. You just turn friendly-fire on and watch them spazz out trying to kill each other. For as long as their PVP ADD lets them, that is. They get distracted and wander off to the next shiny thing all the time.

So, you know, good luck to WC with that, and when the PvPers have all gotten bored and gone to more exciting games, maybe they'll buckle down and make some PvE content to attract long-term, repeat buyers before they go under.

Probably won't work though, this is a common pattern with open-world game devs. They let PvPers take charge and the game goes to sh8 because only a few elitists really want that kind of game, and the game goes on the long slide down.  

On 12/5/2019 at 1:46 AM, Fukushu said:

Being able to teleport corrupted dinos or lure them into the bioms/city. 

Extinction is the best map for griefers and thiefs.

yea that poop happen to me on extinction    corrupted giga was kited in to our base entered on one wall and got kited to the cryo fridges and storage across the base from where they entered

I have said this before but the only people that do not want ORP are griefers. 

No sane person wants ORP off, this would only hurt the new players that are not living in big metal bases and as soon as you reach the point of having a big metal base, nothing on PVE will be able to kill you even if ORP is off. (UNLESS! another player lures a titan to your base, knowing you have turrets set up like some people here suggest for PVE players. The turrets will shoot the titan and the titan will destroy your whole base, really nice. 

Players will lure gigas, teleport rock elementals and do everything they can to destroy someones base or tames when they are not around because it's so easy to do.

This will only hurt the people who don't have much because everyone else sits in their metal/tek base.

So now that we experienced ORP off, people who do not grief others will remember why ORP was such a good idea in the first place for PVE. The griefers will have the time of their life and experience the ''fun'' they seeked for so long because they are not capable enough for pvp but are able to come up with ideas to grief PVE in any way possible.

If you seek for accomplishment by building your base ''against wild dinos'', why not just do it? Are you happier when you see others struggle or being forced to play the way YOU would enjoy? Why don't you be happy with how you yourself build your base instead of wanting everyone else to adept to your playstyle. 

Same goes for breeding lines, NO ONE forces you to use them. You can play official and never use a bred line ever, why don't players who complain do it? Is it because you want to show off with how well you do the beta or alpha boss with your own dinos? Why not just do it and be happy that you have managed it? Be happy for yourself and don't seek recognition by others it will make this way more enjoyable if you like to accomplish things on your own, everyone else can also just keep playing how they want to, me with ORP and bred super dinos who destroy the bosses in minutes.

(also as Cedric stated in some thread a while ago, ARK has way, way more PVE players than PVP. Search it up.)

30 minutes ago, Fukushu said:

I have said this before but the only people that do not want ORP are griefers. 

No sane person wants ORP off, this would only hurt the new players that are not living in big metal bases and as soon as you reach the point of having a big metal base, nothing on PVE will be able to kill you even if ORP is off. (UNLESS! another player lures a titan to your base, knowing you have turrets set up like some people here suggest for PVE players. The turrets will shoot the titan and the titan will destroy your whole base, really nice. 

Players will lure gigas, teleport rock elementals and do everything they can to destroy someones base or tames when they are not around because it's so easy to do.

But that just sounds like PVP with extra steps.....

31 minutes ago, Fukushu said:

Same goes for breeding lines, NO ONE forces you to use them.

Here's where I have to respectfully disagree with you.   You'd have a pretty hard time beating some of these bosses and doing ORP's without breeding in this game. 

"This game is meant for Tribes."   Is it?  The vast majority of PVE servers I played in had solo players or 3 person tribes at the most.  There were exceptions but they were few and far between.   But people wanted to solo the bosses to farm them, & they had to invite other players along that weren't i their tribe.

• Volunteer Moderator
1 hour ago, Fukushu said:

From a long time ex PVE player. 

Without “any” danger from other players. PVE ends up boring as hell. ORP on PVE is a joke. 

Before ORP you had to build an actual base. Not so much to keep out the wilds but to keep the wilds from being kited by other players. 

Now it’s a snooze fest. Which I guess a lot of people like for some reason. Might as well play single player if you don’t want any danger. 

Archived