Taming a Quetzal With a Tapejara - ARK Mobile

So, about 2 days ago I tried out the recently new quetzal taming method with a tapejara on my medium difficulty solo player server in Ark mobile. It worked perfectly!

I really loved it, it is way better than using the grappling to the argy method and now I don't have to wait until I can finally earn the respect of a griffin. The reason for this being....

With the argy method, the first thing I had to worry about was that I was positioned right in front of the quetzal so right when I finally managed to grapple to the argy (which was another hassle of its own) I can whistle the argy to attack the quetzal. Then when I finally got the argy aggroed on the quetzal I hit it with a trank dart. The thing is, my argy was usually really slow, and the quetzal was so fast compared to it that it kept flying so far away that my argy kept losing aggro on it. The only reason that I actually managed to tame one was because the quetzal kept turning to flee into my direction (and because he was low level so the few darts I managed to hit actually managed to knock it down). And then comes the part where you shoot it down. It was extremely hard to actually hit the quetzal because of the fact that my character kept swinging around from side to side, making it difficult to aim. Now I may just suck at aiming (Hey, I'm not Typical Gamer), but I took exactly 40 darts to tame the quetzal (which was only level 2) in the wiki it said a level 1 would take around 8 to knock down. The funny thing was, when I finally knocked it down, I was left with exactly 8 darts, meaning I used up 32. Oof, that's means I missed around 26 darts. Now that's a lot. But at the time, that was the best way to tame quetzal without using a griffin or reviving it at a platform and trapping it.

But now we have the option of switching seats on the tapejara. At first every time I tried it the tapejara kept trying to land, but then I figured out that you have to have it on following you in order for it to stay in the air. So now all I have to do is find a quetzal (which is the hardest part). I found a level 90 at the red obelisk (should do for now until I can find one that's 145 and above). So I fly up to the quetzal with my tapy, quickly change to the first seat and whistle target at the quetzal, then the fun begins. My tapy actually can keep up with the quetzal, which is good, it actually flew about the same speed as it. The flight was so smooth that I actually only missed 4 shots, and those where due to the quetzal making sudden turns. And the fact that I had an ascendant rifle with 1005 dps (not the best but decent) helped a lot. I wished I had recorded it, but saddly I didn't. I really love this new method! It's a good thing I actually decided to try it out. Plus you get the tapejara saddle before the argy so that's also awesome!

The quetzal didn't fall on the best spot, it landed on the swamp. But I guess I just got lucky because there was nothing around and there where no attacks, so I managed to pull a 100% taming effectiveness with a 10x soothing balm and some kibble. I would of posted a picture but apparently the files to big ?

But thanks Wardrum for this new awesome method ? I really love it!

So what do you guys think of this new method? Have you tried it out?

Have a nice day and have fun playing Ark!

3 hours ago, TypicalArkGamer said:

Taming a Quetzal With a Tapejara - ARK Mobile

So, about 2 days ago I tried out the recently new quetzal taming method with a tapejara on my medium difficulty solo player server in Ark mobile. It worked perfectly!

I really loved it, it is way better than using the grappling to the argy method and now I don't have to wait until I can finally earn the respect of a griffin. The reason for this being....

With the argy method, the first thing I had to worry about was that I was positioned right in front of the quetzal so right when I finally managed to grapple to the argy (which was another hassle of its own) I can whistle the argy to attack the quetzal. Then when I finally got the argy aggroed on the quetzal I hit it with a trank dart. The thing is, my argy was usually really slow, and the quetzal was so fast compared to it that it kept flying so far away that my argy kept losing aggro on it. The only reason that I actually managed to tame one was because the quetzal kept turning to flee into my direction (and because he was low level so the few darts I managed to hit actually managed to knock it down). And then comes the part where you shoot it down. It was extremely hard to actually hit the quetzal because of the fact that my character kept swinging around from side to side, making it difficult to aim. Now I may just suck at aiming (Hey, I'm not Typical Gamer), but I took exactly 40 darts to tame the quetzal (which was only level 2) in the wiki it said a level 1 would take around 8 to knock down. The funny thing was, when I finally knocked it down, I was left with exactly 8 darts, meaning I used up 32. Oof, that's means I missed around 26 darts. Now that's a lot. But at the time, that was the best way to tame quetzal without using a griffin or reviving it at a platform and trapping it.

But now we have the option of switching seats on the tapejara. At first every time I tried it the tapejara kept trying to land, but then I figured out that you have to have it on following you in order for it to stay in the air. So now all I have to do is find a quetzal (which is the hardest part). I found a level 90 at the red obelisk (should do for now until I can find one that's 145 and above). So I fly up to the quetzal with my tapy, quickly change to the first seat and whistle target at the quetzal, then the fun begins. My tapy actually can keep up with the quetzal, which is good, it actually flew about the same speed as it. The flight was so smooth that I actually only missed 4 shots, and those where due to the quetzal making sudden turns. And the fact that I had an ascendant rifle with 1005 dps (not the best but decent) helped a lot. I wished I had recorded it, but saddly I didn't. I really love this new method! It's a good thing I actually decided to try it out. Plus you get the tapejara saddle before the argy so that's also awesome!

The quetzal didn't fall on the best spot, it landed on the swamp. But I guess I just got lucky because there was nothing around and there where no attacks, so I managed to pull a 100% taming effectiveness with a 10x soothing balm and some kibble. I would of posted a picture but apparently the files to big ?

But thanks Wardrum for this new awesome method ? I really love it!

So what do you guys think of this new method? Have you tried it out?

Have a nice day and have fun playing Ark!

Imma try tape bombing like that.... how you switch seats

1 hour ago, 145273 said:

Imma try tape bombing like that.... how you switch seats

If you have the hotbar displayed on your screen there should be a chair icon right above it. Or in other words, pull out your spyglass on the bird, right on the icon where you press to look at stuff, pull out your hands and right where it was there should appear a chair looking icon. 
Press that button, it'll switch you to the front seat of the tapy, you can't control it on that seat, but u can bring out weapons and shoot. If you press the button again it'll switch you to the back seat where you're facing backwards. If you press it again then you go back to the middle seat where you control the tapejara!

You can't be holding anything though in order for the chair button to appear, I'll try to see if I can get a picture when I get home from school, and let's hope the file size isn't too big like it was with the quetzal one!

Happy taming!

Archived