Is there a way to know of lag-free clean Official Servers?

Is there any way of finding out if an Official PvP server is good to play on?

Normally i'll filter by server ping. Even if it's stated to be 15~30 ping; it'll still lag like hell. Rubberbanding every minute, poor hit-registration, delay, teleporting/freezing... It's all there.
After spending several hours on the server; I realise there's a stupid amount of pillars/foundations/structures all over the map blocking caves and obelisks and entire landmass (so stuff don't even spawn).

There's gotta be some kind of statistics that inform us from the lobby about such things.
Perhaps adding something like "Total structures on server" or "Total structures by one tribe (+alliance)".
One might complain that other mega tribes could use such info to seek alpha-tribes targets to raid but if someone plays to the point of lagging the F out of the entire server with nonsense, then surely they are very well prepared for such a challenge.

I might be completely wrong here, but I guess server browser shows your actual ping to server while in game thing that is called "ping" is something completely different and can go from 30 to 255 in seconds if couple big bases go out of stasis.

So I doubt there is any way of checking how really laggy server would be without connecting to it. You can bet that free maps will always be worse than payed DLCs with island being the worst of them all since it's default, but that's pretty much it. 

You have to play on the server to get a true feel for the lag. The ping value is not the whole story and can be misleading. The official PVP server I play on shows a 30 ms ping in browser, and often similar values ingame. But it is one of most laggiest server I have ever seen in ARK. You would randomly get minute long lag spikes. There are no huge megatribe bases on the server, just a small outpost in a triple waterfall. I would know because I am the alpha on the server. But despite having so few structures or uncryod dino this server with just 3 players on literally has worse performence than a 70/70 server that is being DDOSed.

2 hours ago, JetSetz aka cryptonite89 said:

There's no such thing, all of the official servers have plenty of lag related issues. The fact is that this is not a game with a monthly subscription, which means that the Official servers are basically a form of advertising. Where WC really makes their money is selling copies of the game to the roughly 90% of all the players who play on Unofficial servers. The Official servers are always going to be the cheapest servers they can possibly run while still being able to tell people, "We have Official servers". Even serves that don't have many people on them still suffer from a variety of lag related problems, no Official server will ever give you the same quality of playing experience that most Unofficial servers do.

I know that's not the answer you were hoping for, but it's just the reality of how this game works.

Ignore those ping relates they are never right no matter who is showing them; least of all Battlemetrics.  My best servers show 200+ ping on sites and when I get in it's ping is more like in the 15'ns.  There is no way to know if a server will be good.  Not by ping.  Not by distance from your local.  Nothing except by word of mouth or getting in there yourself and testing it.  

However, official will always be bad.  If not immediately right now this instant it will get bad.  And unofficial will always outshine official in this, with a few exceptions. 

But unofficial has it's own problems like poor management or corrupted mods.  If you are on pc and trying a bunch of unofficials you may have bloated your mods folder.  A congested mods folder can actually break the game.  Only fix is to do some time consuming folder cleanup.*  Most players are not at this level of experience in gaming.

*CLEANING MODS FOLDER - STEAM PC

• Unsubbing does not get rid of corrupt mods.  This process can take up to and over four hours.  Do not skip the verify integrity part!
  • Unsub to mods you do not want on Steam and close out of steam completely
  • Delete your \steamapps\common\ARK\ShooterGame\Content\Mods folder 
  • Delete your \steamapps\workshop\content\346110 folder
  • Restart your computer and launch Steam
  • From Steam Library section, right-click on Ark Survival game and select Properties from the menu
  • Select the Local files tab and click the Verify Integrity of game files button
  • Wait long time do not shut down until done.

So, not only do you have to find a spot on the map that is not pillar'ed.  You also have to find a server-map that runs well.  

Good luck.

4 hours ago, JetSetz aka cryptonite89 said:

Is there any way of finding out if an Official PvP server is good to play on?

Normally i'll filter by server ping. Even if it's stated to be 15~30 ping; it'll still lag like hell. Rubberbanding every minute, poor hit-registration, delay, teleporting/freezing... It's all there.
After spending several hours on the server; I realise there's a stupid amount of pillars/foundations/structures all over the map blocking caves and obelisks and entire landmass (so stuff don't even spawn).

There's gotta be some kind of statistics that inform us from the lobby about such things.
Perhaps adding something like "Total structures on server" or "Total structures by one tribe (+alliance)".
One might complain that other mega tribes could use such info to seek alpha-tribes targets to raid but if someone plays to the point of lagging the F out of the entire server with nonsense, then surely they are very well prepared for such a challenge.

Ping does not matter if its stable. 200 ms can be smooth if its stable. But ping going up and down is the one causing rubberbanding etc. But there is no such thing as lag free server.

Yes some of us have great official servers we play on. But they are great because we don't share a lot of information about them. Our own best kept secrets. 

I play on 5 official servers. 3 are amazing. 2 are laggy, actually 2 pretty much suck. Used to be 3 that suck, but we got one onto a new box and it's amazing now.  I have left 3 or 4 official servers because they are too laggy and I can't tolerate playing on there. 

Trial and error. You will eventually find servers that are not super laggy, and have a tolerable community. 

7 hours ago, covenantgrunt said:

You have to play on the server to get a true feel for the lag. The ping value is not the whole story and can be misleading. The official PVP server I play on shows a 30 ms ping in browser, and often similar values ingame. But it is one of most laggiest server I have ever seen in ARK. You would randomly get minute long lag spikes. There are no huge megatribe bases on the server, just a small outpost in a triple waterfall. I would know because I am the alpha on the server. But despite having so few structures or uncryod dino this server with just 3 players on literally has worse performence than a 70/70 server that is being DDOSed.

No sarcasm at all, but I honestly thought that lag was not a thing on PVP servers--that it was only a PVE problem.

Ouch!

2 hours ago, Caerbannog said:

No sarcasm at all, but I honestly thought that lag was not a thing on PVP servers--that it was only a PVE problem.

Ouch!

I heard this a lot, but I played enough pvp to know it's far from the truth.

As an example, one of the last pvp smalltribe servers I was playing at was around 50 ping all the time, but as soon as someone rendered carno island it would go to 255 immediately.

Pve has much more dinos and evenly spread structure spam, pvp would have less dinos but probably even more spam in a very small area around alpha base. Can't place a pillar and be sure no one builds there, because it is easily destroyed. So spam is very dense. Pillars, gates, spikes. railways etc etc etc. And hundreds of turrets and velons on top of that, constantly tracking and checking targets.

Thanks for the advice everyone, much appreciated.

I'd also prefer that WC provide few servers but are of high quality (that way the servers get populated and have good performance).
I don't know the reasons behind having hundreds of servers with 0~4 people on them and pretty much all of them have unplayable lag.

With PvE i'd understand because it's more for creativity. But in PvP there's no need for so many servers; empires rise and fall.

1. no
  2. only officials that are lag free are the ones that are offline
  3. filtering by ping through the lobby is a joke because the lobby server is a joke.
  4. the game isn't designed to be played by as many people play it.
  5. there could be alot more information that a server reports back to the lobby, like pretty much any configurations, metrics, mod IDs, etc, but it doesn't, it doesn't even see all of the servers.

Archived