broken game Where the cheese are wildcard

LSMCtv

2 hours ago, GrumpyBear said:

My wife is a product manager.  She publishes a digital product regularly.  I hear about it and what her coworkers do all the time.   I also studied java and c++ while I got a bs in applied mathematics.  Oh,  and I taught myself Perl after school.

you don’t seem to know anything about programming yourself.  Not one response demonstrates any knowledge on this topic,  which is why you can only attack other posters.

Oh, I see.  You heard about it from your wife.  That makes you an expert.

You talk about how hard it is to find bugs because the code is SO intricate (this is literally called debugging btw), but like _I_ said, debugging is part of programming.  Then you start talking about testing, which is completely different from programming or scripting.

Debugging is literally a skill.  You CAN write a script to debug (NOT game test, scripts run during game testing ARE debugging).   You can comment out parts of your code to isolate it.  You can go into the game and test things to further isolate the code.  There are sometimes (depending on how the Unreal Engine was written) separate tools that you can run while running the game to see what things are going on while you're playing.

Testing takes place AFTER the code is written and compiled.  Not during.  It doesn't matter if your code compiles 100% correctly or not.  Compiling just checks syntax and whether or not you used functions and scripts that are already in the libraries or checks syntax on functions/scripts you wrote yourself.  Compiling has nothing to do with how something functions.   A program can compile with a ton of errors and still run AND function.  WC doesn't do near enough testing, and keep releasing these patches into the wild, breaking stuff.

Then again, WC doesn't corner the market on bad programming, the whole industry is littered with it.  The college's are using outdated information and people who are paid to program for a living are literally googling to find out how stuff works because either they never learned it, or they forgot it from schooling like we all forget stuff from schooling.  It's literally a meme on Reddit at this point. Then they end up using bad code they found on the internet that maybe works, but isn't optimized at all.  In addition, I'm not going to claim to be an expert on college curriculum, but finding a college that specializes in "game programming" seems pretty rare, at least across the US even though some good colleges offer it.

I'm not gonna argue with you anymore.  Your experience is far more vast than mine.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Garet said:

Oh, I see.  You heard about it from your wife.  That makes you an expert.

You talk about how hard it is to find bugs because the code is SO intricate (this is literally called debugging btw), but like _I_ said, debugging is part of programming.  Then you start talking about testing, which is completely different from programming or scripting.

Debugging is literally a skill.  You CAN write a script to debug (NOT game test, scripts run during game testing ARE debugging).   You can comment out parts of your code to isolate it.  You can go into the game and test things to further isolate the code.  There are sometimes (depending on how the Unreal Engine was written) separate tools that you can run while running the game to see what things are going on while you're playing.

Testing takes place AFTER the code is written and compiled.  Not during.  It doesn't matter if your code compiles 100% correctly or not.  Compiling just checks syntax and whether or not you used functions and scripts that are already in the libraries or checks syntax on functions/scripts you wrote yourself.  Compiling has nothing to do with how something functions.   A program can compile with a ton of errors and still run AND function.  WC doesn't do near enough testing, and keep releasing these patches into the wild, breaking stuff.

Then again, WC doesn't corner the market on bad programming, the whole industry is littered with it.  The college's are using outdated information and people who are paid to program for a living are literally googling to find out how stuff works because either they never learned it, or they forgot it from schooling like we all forget stuff from schooling.  It's literally a meme on Reddit at this point. Then they end up using bad code they found on the internet that maybe works, but isn't optimized at all.  In addition, I'm not going to claim to .....

And now you want to raise the bar in that I’m not an expert.  Which I never claimed to be.  You originally stated I knew nothing.  Now you want to set that bar higher so you can feel good about yourself.

and if the code compiled and makes it through extra levels of review for example , with the Xbox and ps4,  then finding the bugs that aren’t caught in those reviews takes more time.  So it boils down to publish or not to publish. 

All digital products have a big tracker with a list of bugs.  They still have to run the product with the bugs or else they get no $.

6 minutes ago, GrumpyBear said:

And now you want to raise the bar in that I’m not an expert.  Which I never claimed to be.  You originally stated I knew nothing.  Now you want to set that bar higher so you can feel good about yourself.

and if the code compiled and makes it through extra levels of review for example , with the Xbox and ps4,  then finding the bugs that aren’t caught in those reviews takes more time.  So it boils down to publish or not to publish. 

All digital products have a big tracker with a list of bugs.  They still have to run the product with the bugs or else they get no $.

Yeah... once again.. anyone who just waits until the "code compiled" and then sends it off to review from Microsoft and Sony without testing is the problem because they just skipped over a number of steps that should be taken during game development.  But you do you.  I won't be responding anymore.

On 12/1/2019 at 4:45 PM, Pipinghot said:

So, Invincible, you know I'm a fan of yours but I have to strongly disagree with that level of generosity in your thinking. The only reason they get away with so, so, SO many problem during rollouts is that this is a game with retail customers. If they had any customers that were businesses this would never fly, or even commercial productivity software for retail customers. The only reason that game companies get away with their (constantly) shoddy practices is that they are games. In most games it's not terrible, but in a game like this one, where players can lose thousands of hours of work (for a whole tribe) if they can't get into the game and keep things alive, it's nothing less than abusive.

WC created a game in which their players have to do constant maintenance, and that means there should be a publicly acknowledged burden on WC to be more careful, do better testing, significantly reduce their error rate, especially their critical error rate. In most games you don't lose anything, you just can't log in, but when things go wrong in ARK the results are a catastrophic abuse of peoples' time, WC should be held to a higher standard of dependability and being patient with them is not the right response.

Well said.

In reviewing this forum, one would forget that the End-Users of this software-product are PAYING CUSTOMERS.

Why do the majority of posts apologize and pander to Wild Card?  This sham of a company has cobbled-together an engine that someone else has created, and this same sham of a company is doing very little (IMO NOTHING) to support their product.

This software is not Early-Release/Alpha/Beta status - this is their finished-product.

Without prejudice, but with overwhelming contempt gleaned from the years of deception, theft, fraud, and more deception,

TheCardBoardWarrior.

Govern yourselves accordingly - live stream this software to show those who have not yet been victimized by Wild Card what lies in store for them.

and among all this... prices for ark are higher than ever.... you suuuuuck windows. you suck wildcard. work isnt hard. but you wont do it. i literally have a solution to all of this RIIIIGHT now. but you wont listen. youll keep being the pieces of sh@% that you are. charging us for things that you arent selling us. until we get tired of it. we wont stop playing your games. we will simply stop paying you for them. we will run our own servers. we will share already-owned copies and we will begin to simply say f%ck you.

you say youll come after us and send us Copyright notices through our i.s.p.'s?

well enjoy the civil war that follows ;););)

3 hours ago, ireallyprefermyprivacy said:

and among all this... prices for ark are higher than ever.... you suuuuuck windows. you suck wildcard. work isnt hard. but you wont do it. i literally have a solution to all of this RIIIIGHT now. but you wont listen. youll keep being the pieces of sh@% that you are. charging us for things that you arent selling us. until we get tired of it. we wont stop playing your games. we will simply stop paying you for them. we will run our own servers. we will share already-owned copies and we will begin to simply say f%ck you.

you say youll come after us and send us Copyright notices through our i.s.p.'s?

well enjoy the civil war that follows ;););)

How can you complain about the price when you already bought it?  I spent less on this game than I did for the original release of Dark and Light.    I’ve seen the bottom of the barrel,  WC isn’t even close to it.

3 hours ago, Garet said:

Yeah... once again.. anyone who just waits until the "code compiled" and then sends it off to review from Microsoft and Sony without testing is the problem because they just skipped over a number of steps that should be taken during game development.  But you do you.  I won't be responding anymore.

Yeah once again take one persons post and over analyze the missing steps instead of being constructive.  If you were a coder worth anything, you wouldn’t have the time to post here.   I never claimed to be one.

Archived