broken game Where the cheese are wildcard

LSMCtv

Just now, invincibleqc said:

That I can't tell. It indeed doesn't make much sense considering the players is at its peak and their staff at its low..

The point I was trying to make with that analogy is that finding a bug in a massive patch would be like you searching your toothbrush in that mess:

news-12-11-norton-records.jpg

Much easier to find new bugs caused by an update when your patches are small.

The whole game is one big massive patch and they haven't found the bugs, because they're terrible at debugging or they just don't do it.  My vote is for terrible since the patches regularly break something else.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Garet said:

This is a terrible analogy.  When they patch something, the work doesn't just get undone because they chose not to release it publicly.  (well, it DOES but that's because they end up just breaking something else) It's not like dirt piling up.  With as many damn servers as they have out there, they should have several maps dedicated just to beta testing and people would be happy to play on them.  But yet we have Legacy servers for Valguero.

what does legacy servers have to do with this?? there is beta testing aswell I fail to make sense of this post I think the uninstall button may solve your issues...

57 minutes ago, Lycan187u said:

what does legacy servers have to do with this?? there is beta testing aswell I fail to make sense of this post I think the uninstall button may solve your issues...

I always have to laugh when people playing on officials say: You need new servers? Kill the legacies. You need to lower the number of servers to reduce costs? Kill the legacies. You need a place where you can test your bugs without people sending in milion tickets? Well, legacies!

Those are mostly former-legacy players who decided to jump from this ship and abandon their work and friends because (and I LOVE this sentence) "you are on a borrowed time". You are saying that for years since official release. Keep saying that for the next years too. Now those former-players are salty because we are still not shut down and they traded chill and friendly player base for toxic, chinese-hackers-infested shiny officials. Hope you like being milked by them on both pvp and pve.

I agree with you Lycan - leave the testing for beta servers and leave us finally alone.

1 minute ago, Slvr said:

I'd honestly be willing to pay a monthly subscription fee if it meant better customer service from this company. The lack of communication and clarity on updates is abysmal. 

We have given them enough money already, they have a backup file before they do an update, dont understand why they dont rollback to that point and add fix, instead of no reply let our stuff die

11 hours ago, Barn714 said:

Ok so tons of people lost stuff, still no reply from wc. Why no freakin rollback???? Its not fair that paying customer should suffer from poor quality. Wildcard should roll server back to thanksgiving when update broke game to make it fair to those that lost stuff.

What about the people who didn't lose stuff and paid for this game? How is undoing all they did, and possibly loss of characters due to rollback, fair to them?

Servers were flawed for 3 to 4 days. I know loss of items and dinos suck and everybody has different time frames they can play but even though I had some issues too, including losing a tek suit crafted ftom bp's, I also noticed my server populations were about the same as any other time so it would be more unfair to punish those who gained much during the event as opposed to trying to compensate the few who lost some through the ticket system. Rollback would add to that ticket queue.

On 12/3/2019 at 12:48 PM, invincibleqc said:

The point I was trying to make with that analogy is that finding a bug in a massive patch would be like you searching your toothbrush in that mess:

news-12-11-norton-records.jpg

Much easier to find new bugs caused by an update when your patches are small.

thing is if WC had worked on bugs instead of trying to divert our attention with new content a mess like that would not have occoured. a mess like that does not just happen, it happens because of a factor. in WC's case it was due to ignorance and incompetence. not incompetence of knowing how to patch the bugs, although honestly that is becoming more and more obvious, no it is their incompetence of addressing the issue. if they had fixed the bugs as they added new content they would not have to be back and try to find the bugs. instead they either released new content to draw our attention away, which did not work as well as they expected, or they tried fixing it the short way which is slapping a bit of ducktape on it and saying job well done. then by piling more and more bugs on that so called "fixed" issue they are making things worse. look i get your a mod so u have to sort of suck up to WC (no offense). but u cant go trying to cover for them when their mistakes is so blatantly obvious that it can be seen from space.

10 hours ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

What about the people who didn't lose stuff and paid for this game? How is undoing all they did, and possibly loss of characters due to rollback, fair to them?

Servers were flawed for 3 to 4 days. I know loss of items and dinos suck and everybody has different time frames they can play but even though I had some issues too, including losing a tek suit crafted ftom bp's, I also noticed my server populations were about the same as any other time so it would be more unfair to punish those who gained much during the event as opposed to trying to compensate the few who lost some through the ticket system. Rollback would add to that ticket queue.

this makes alot of sense. rolling back the server does not guarantee fixes for those who lost their stuff. the best option would be for admins to help out people by replacing everything that was lost. but alas WC will not do this as it could improve their image. instead they just bribe us into forgetting about it. btw extending the event will not fix at all what you guys done.

• Volunteer Moderator
4 hours ago, Barn714 said:

You may not have lost anything but to be fair it should go back to the point where it was messed up

You seem to fail to understand the true consequences of a rollback.

You may have lost stuff whereas other people haven't, but if they do a rollback over several days there is a HIGH chance those players that didn't lose anything could very easily lose their characters if they had been transferring between servers.

You talk about how is it fair to lose stuff, then answer this, how fair is it for those that didn't lose stuff to then lose stuff for the sake of those losing stuff getting their stuff back?

Can you understand how complicated this actually is, even though all you see is a simple rollback?

A similar real life example, I think , demonstrates how easy it is to miss problems with code.   Take the lord of the rings trilogy for example -  50 years after the books original release,  they published the 50th anniversary edition.  I personally found almost a dozen errors in the text either grammatical, and one or two cannon issues.

The code for this game is far more intricate, orders of magnitude greater in volume(that’s like x 10^n greater amount of text to sort through for the semi-math literate).   And they haven’t had 50 years to correct their mistakes.

1 hour ago, Slvr said:

Yeah, sadly that's true. The only way to fix ARK imo would be to sell it to someone that actually knows what to do with this intrinsically broken game. 

I agree 100%....... I came back after a four month break expecting the game  to have improved... But no! That was nearly six months ago, I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment? 

I just wonder what would change if it did get taken over by a bigger company (putting their stamp on the game) with more capability, hopefully things would improve ten fold!?

5 hours ago, GrumpyBear said:

A similar real life example, I think , demonstrates how easy it is to miss problems with code.   Take the lord of the rings trilogy for example -  50 years after the books original release,  they published the 50th anniversary edition.  I personally found almost a dozen errors in the text either grammatical, and one or two cannon issues.

The code for this game is far more intricate, orders of magnitude greater in volume(that’s like x 10^n greater amount of text to sort through for the semi-math literate).   And they haven’t had 50 years to correct their mistakes.

It's painfully obvious you know nothing about programming.  Debugging is part of the job.

14 hours ago, GP said:

You seem to fail to understand the true consequences of a rollback.

You may have lost stuff whereas other people haven't, but if they do a rollback over several days there is a HIGH chance those players that didn't lose anything could very easily lose their characters if they had been transferring between servers.

You talk about how is it fair to lose stuff, then answer this, how fair is it for those that didn't lose stuff to then lose stuff for the sake of those losing stuff getting their stuff back?

Can you understand how complicated this actually is, even though all you see is a simple rollback?

this would not have happened if WC had done things right from the start.

2 hours ago, Donk67 said:

I agree 100%....... I came back after a four month break expecting the game  to have improved... But no! That was nearly six months ago, I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment? 

I just wonder what would change if it did get taken over by a bigger company (putting their stamp on the game) with more capability, hopefully things would improve ten fold!?

well WC pretty much done that with snail games and see where that got them, they need to sell ark to a good company. 

On 12/3/2019 at 1:49 AM, Slvr said:

I'd honestly be willing to pay a monthly subscription fee if it meant better customer service from this company. The lack of communication and clarity on updates is abysmal. 

If this company made the investment to turn itself around and demonstrated they could manage game development at AAA levels, I'd be willing to pay a monthly sub too, or buy their season passes, or w/e. But I've only bought their stuff on serious sale because of the quality issues. 

This seems to have drifted from the actual issue I posted about. 4 days with issues of people not being able to get on servers, no one from wildcard mentioned anything, no devs posted anywhere about it to let us know they were aware seeing as the ticket system wasn’t working. And even when there pushes out the update fix, there was no apology. Seems to me wildcard have confirmed they no longer care about how their CUSTOMERS feel. They have fixed it now, they haven’t, and won’t apologise so this thread may as well be closed. 

1 hour ago, LSMCtv said:

This seems to have drifted from the actual issue I posted about. 4 days with issues of people not being able to get on servers, no one from wildcard mentioned anything, no devs posted anywhere about it to let us know they were aware seeing as the ticket system wasn’t working. And even when there pushes out the update fix, there was no apology. Seems to me wildcard have confirmed they no longer care about how their CUSTOMERS feel. They have fixed it now, they haven’t, and won’t apologise so this thread may as well be closed. 

ignore the closing bit. I’m on PS4 but I’ve just seen other platforms are still having issues. 

11 hours ago, Garet said:

It's painfully obvious you know nothing about programming.  Debugging is part of the job.

right, and stuff will compile and look like it works but then it doesn't.  The bug testing is also only as good as their bug tester and if they have set up automated scripts to test everything.   Even then, they probably can't script test everything.   But yea, I know nothing about programing... way to just wave around blanket accusations to make a point.  Sorry, but you just ain't gonna convince me you know so much more than me like that.

55 minutes ago, GrumpyBear said:

right, and stuff will compile and look like it works but then it doesn't.  The bug testing is also only as good as their bug tester and if they have set up automated scripts to test everything.   Even then, they probably can't script test everything.   But yea, I know nothing about programing... way to just wave around blanket accusations to make a point.  Sorry, but you just ain't gonna convince me you know so much more than me like that.

You don't run scripts to test anything.  But please, keep throwing out "programming" language.   You sound very much like you know what you're talking about /s

6 hours ago, Garet said:

You don't run scripts to test anything.  But please, keep throwing out "programming" language.   You sound very much like you know what you're talking about /s

My wife is a product manager.  She publishes a digital product regularly.  I hear about it and what her coworkers do all the time.   I also studied java and c++ while I got a bs in applied mathematics.  Oh,  and I taught myself Perl after school.

you don’t seem to know anything about programming yourself.  Not one response demonstrates any knowledge on this topic,  which is why you can only attack other posters.

Archived