Basic Guide to Improving Fps in Ark:SoTF

MrX101

TLDR: Add launch options -sm4 -d3d10 -nomansky and set resolution scale to 70-80%

When you launch soft in steam, you get this

s1wPXUj.png

The 2nd option forces sm4 and low memory mode, you can do the same with -sm4 -d3d10 in launch options

that way you can more easily just launch soft from anywhere without selecting the 2nd option everytime.

this will greatly increase your fps

To set the launch options, find Ark:SoTF in your game list> right click it> properties >Click the Set launch options button 1MREpru.png> Enter (without the "") "-sm4 -d3d10 -nomansky" > click ok > done

Resolution Scale:

This changes the amount of pixels on the screen, it greatly increases your fps, but tbh its not that easy to play with low super low resolution scale, as everything becomes pixelated and starts to blend in with one an other. 70-80% resolution scale seem to be the perfect medium of good fps but not pixelated. (however the textures won't be as detailed)

rGNBxUQ.png

In the beta, the performance was great. I didn't have the consistent lag spike I usually get in sotf before it and now, but after launch it just came back and after each patch my performance just got worse and worse. I had some of these options but I think maybe having the -USEALLAVAILABLECORES removed and the addition of the -nomansky launch options has helped in terms of fps. I was getting about 20-30 before when looking normally and 30-40 when looking at the sky. Now I'm seeing 30-50 normally and 60+ when looking at the sky. The lag spike that drops me down to 1-10 fps is still there for me unfortunately, but it seems to be reduced as its more like 10fps for a shorter amount of time. There's no doubt that this helps fps overall though, so anyone who doesn't have the lag spike i have will be happy using this. :) Thanks! Hopefully a later patch will fix that pesky lag spike that sometimes grants me an auto-death during combat in the future though. 

2 hours ago, DimitriTech said:

On an SSD here. I honestly don't know what causes them. They are recurring in intervals and last a few second, but don't know what exactly is different between the release and the beta where it was gone. Ultimately i think i'd just have to upgrade my pc, but thanks for the insight! Could come in handy.

check if ur ssd is in ACHI mode via this guide

https://www.reddit.com/r/playark/comments/3ko421/guidehow_to_fix_microstutterfps_issues_with_ssds/

Archived