So why arent officials true region based servers?

JetJaguar

What was the reasoning behind servers not being actually region based? ie. the way Blizzard for example has servers setup: North America is for NA players, Europe for European players, etc?

The lack of region locks on servers does more harm then it does good: communication issues that lead to constant misunderstandings, differences in acceptable behavior, racist crap, etc.

Have a cluster/handful of server that have zero region lock and make the rest region based that only players from particular countries can play on. Again, the same way Blizzard has successful set stuff up for years..

11 minutes ago, JetJaguar said:

What was the reasoning behind servers not being actually region based? ie. the way Blizzard for example has servers setup: North America is for NA players, Europe for European players, etc?

Kind of goes against the open world, open ability to transfer and raid concept.

I use to advocate for region based servers too before I realized that it limits that intention. 

They want these big tribes, able to cover all time zones, so bases can be defended at any time of day/night. Just stinks sometimes because it can affect server performance.

They also would need to deal with segregation outcrys (look at the responses from them limiting Asia transfers to other Asia transfers) and then they would also need to deal with lack of servers in places like South America. 

Lot of reasons.

Just now, JetJaguar said:

But Blizzard is a model example of region based servers... You can still have servers based on country location and a thriving community. Again, look at how well Blizzard is doing with this region setup. So I cant understand why that didnt happen here?

Big difference between a mmorpg and this many small server model that is Ark (and other similar survival games).

1 minute ago, Aylana314159 said:

Also, VPN. Anyone can appear to be anywhere.

By this logic there is no sense banning people since banned players can still play if they create new steam account and buy new copy of ark.
I don't think amount of people who would use VPN to circumvent region restriction is significant enough.

3 hours ago, deedoubleu said:

By this logic there is no sense banning people since banned players can still play if they create new steam account and buy new copy of ark.
I don't think amount of people who would use VPN to circumvent region restriction is significant enough.

Really? Maybe not until there are tons of how to videos.

I believe WC has been adding hardware bans. But I could be wrong.

1 hour ago, Aylana314159 said:

Really? Maybe not until there are tons of how to videos.

I believe WC has been adding hardware bans. But I could be wrong.

You can change mac address too or change your hardware. As long as WC allows you to play ark without tying it to real life passport, banned players will be able to play again.
I think most people won't be able to, even with how-to's and personally I would not play via VPN - it would add to your ping and ark is already quite sluggish.

Not sure region lock will solve a racism problem.  That is a personal choice in one's own thoughts.  Humans are humans no matter what culture we were raised in. 

Language locks are silly because people speak a wide variety of languages in NA and EU.  We are not a one language.  Not this century wont happen.  I admit it is frustrating to look at another language I cannot understand.  But this issue is not an ark issue.  It is all games all internet and real life.   We're just going to have to do the unbearable horror of practicing patience.

Idk about WoW have not been there since it's inception but ESO implemented a variety of chat channels for all the major spoken languages.  Absolutely no one used them.  Derp.

Region Locked servers doesn’t make business sense. They want the servers to be running at max capacity 24/7 so they get more bang for their buck. 
If region locking was a thing, then their servers would be empty during normal working hours, and that’s money down the drain.
And the PVP world would slowly come to an end. Very rarely do people raid someone whilst both parties are online. Region locking servers, Online raiding would be the norm. 

1 hour ago, Voronja said:

Region Locked servers doesn’t make business sense. They want the servers to be running at max capacity 24/7 so they get more bang for their buck. 
If region locking was a thing, then their servers would be empty during normal working hours, and that’s money down the drain.
And the PVP world would slowly come to an end. Very rarely do people raid someone whilst both parties are online. Region locking servers, Online raiding would be the norm. 

But they don't need server to be stuffed all the time. 70/70 server doesn't give WC more money than 15/70.

And region lock would not make servers empty during working hours, but would make it better for everyone playing on it.

3 hours ago, deedoubleu said:

But they don't need server to be stuffed all the time. 70/70 server doesn't give WC more money than 15/70.

And region lock would not make servers empty during working hours, but would make it better for everyone playing on it.

That isn’t the point. Break the world down into regions. Now estimate the number of players in each region. Allowing for PVE and PVP. Now estimate the number of servers for each mode for each region. Now look at what we have now.

You can’t estimate the number because people have multiple characters playing different modes. Globally there would be servers with low activity. These could be grouped to save cost. Which is what they do do. 

There would be servers which are dead during the day because people with jobs can’t play Ark whilst at work. The only people on during employment hours are the unemployed, those who play games professionally and those on a day off. 

By accumulating player regions, like what we have now, they can choose where they play, which in turn means WC can provide less servers. Region locked requires WC to provide more servers resulting in high overheads.

Higher overheads means less profit. But to overcome this you have the option of not provided a service to that region. I know a game who has a problem with Australia and New Zealand. The servers for them have been a problem since day one. It’s a MMO like this one but when Aussies and Kiwis try and Matchmake for a mission they have to wait 20 minutes for a game. They tried linking them onto Japan and that area but because in some missions communication is key it failed and the lag they experienced was game breaking. 

There’s more to it than meets the eye. All we see as players is one side of it. But having a game which is global and online and getting the game to run as smoothly as possible and as many people hooked up together isn’t an easy task. Dividing the world into regions is not the solution. 

I can't estimate the number, but WC can. They have IPs of people logging into their servers so they can know roughly what amount plays from what region.

I can even give you a rough guestimate as it is without any official statistics. Majority of players would be in asian region, then europe, then NA, then OC.

It would even itself out. For example, atm every asian player and their grandma plays on EU servers. If they were locked to asian servers then those would get overpopulated and  probably capped, but as you said yourself - some servers would become empty. So close those and host new in regions that are lacking.

You would be surprised how many unemployed, those who play games professionally and those on a day off play ark. It will be just fine during working hours. Though it doesn't seem to be the problem for WC to still keep legacy servers that have 2 people on a good day. Some people think that this is the reason why "ARK runs like trash"  -those servers are relatively cheap and perform accordingly.

TLDR: I don't believe universe would collapse if regions were locked.

• 3 months later...
On 11/28/2019 at 7:51 AM, deedoubleu said:

Actually Chinese players don't pay for Ark. It's "Free-to-play". So the second they get banned, they can use one of their other 20 accounts and drop wild gigas in your base for reporting their misdeeds.

If you're going to give certain people a game for free, they need to play on their own segregated servers. But instead, they use NA and EU servers to make massive dino breeding farms and transfer them back to asia servers and sell them for cash money on the internet. And nobody gets punished for it and even if they did, they just use a new account and they're back in action with a new free copy of ark.  Makes obeying the rules kind of pointless and if they're able to giga someones base and jack a few fridges full of cryopods while they're at it, they can make a boat load selling them online for $$$.

• Volunteer Moderator
1 hour ago, AndrewLB said:

Actually Chinese players don't pay for Ark. It's "Free-to-play". So the second they get banned, they can use one of their other 20 accounts and drop wild gigas in your base for reporting their misdeeds.

If you're going to give certain people a game for free, they need to play on their own segregated servers. But instead, they use NA and EU servers to make massive dino breeding farms and transfer them back to asia servers and sell them for cash money on the internet. And nobody gets punished for it and even if they did, they just use a new account and they're back in action with a new free copy of ark.  Makes obeying the rules kind of pointless and if they're able to giga someones base and jack a few fridges full of cryopods while they're at it, they can make a boat load selling them online for $$$.

Perhaps you should make sure you know what you are talking about before necroing a 5 months old thread. ARK isn't free for anyone. You are probably referring to ARK: Online that is a totally different game running on their own servers.

WildCard may have to revisit this even if they don't want to. 

Supposedly there is a directive that has been proposed by the CCP,  and if true will most likely get passed.

Basically it will make it illegal for  Chinese people living in mainland china to play online games where they can communicate uncensored with players from other nations. 

Archived