I need Help and suggestions .

Cybel

Hello, I'm Cybel and i recently started to play ark (PvE) (30 Hours) (the island)
I played on pve server for about an 25 hours and I was dying a lot and i could not get my dinosaurs tamed, and i could not get resources when i was building my first ever base, it took a lot of time because i had primitive axe and pickaxe but i was about 50th level. 
I would like you guys to help me with this thing.

Base- how to build it and what it should look like and where to build it, what should i have in there.
XPhow to gain xp faster and level up both my dinos and my character faster.
Taming- how to tame dinos faster, what to do while taming,where to tame them.
Survival-
How not to get killed by dinos often, how to gather resources efficiently.

That would be it. Feel free to write any additional suggestion that you think would help me and
THANK YOU!

Play single player learn what you are doing at your own pace, find designs and base builds that work best for you, tame a great deal of dinos so you know which dinos you want and how to tame them.

Dont try and learn on official or you will end up either becoming disheartened from doing things the hard way like you are or get gifts from older players and you wont learn the basics and end up screwed when you start over eventually.

Single player probably isn't a bad idea to get a handle on things but if you're determined to forge ahead on official this is my 2 cents on your questions.

Base - Far too broad a question with so many differing opinions on what should be built, the best thing you can do is look up building videos on YouTube and find something that appeals to you. As far as the other questions I would say build your first base with the thought in mind that it's a starter base to get you going and you're building up resources to find a permanent spot. Generally a good permanent spot would be someplace you can gate off easily (or is up high and mostly inaccessible unless you have flyers) that is fairly close to a water source if possible. When you're building that permanent base a general tip would be to use large walls instead of individual walls because it cuts down on lag and structure limit.

XP - Best way to do this early on I've found is to build lots of stone walls, place them, demolish them for 1/2 resources and craft more. Other structures like ceilings or foundations will give you more xp but walls are cheaper. Also once you get a rex or any respectable meat eater then just roaming around and murdering things can be a consistent way to earn XP.

Taming - There are so many videos on how to properly tame things and several websites shows you popular regions for dino spawns so a little research and you'll learn the basics. I would recommend that you tame a berry eater first because you're going to need narcoberries to tame anything. Farming can help with this but it's really a mid to late game component so you're going to struggle with it early on. My personal recommendation is to tame a parasaur for immediate berry collection and then take the time (6+ hours on 2x taming) to tame a high level stego early on because raptors can't rip you off the seat easily and they can hold their own against most dinos, except a rex and the like of course. Get some starter meat eaters like raptors or carnos tamed so you can start stockpiling narcotics and narc arrows to tame a rex. Just work your way up from there.

Survival - Your dinos will do most of the work for you in this game, a good way to not get killed by dinos often is to be on the back of a bigger dino that kills them first, preferably a Rex, Giga, or Wyvern. Of course you're not going to have those early on so if you do resource runs always take a carno bodyguard with you in case you run into trouble and get good at running away for awhile until you get a Rex. Gathering resources efficiently is also best done by dinos and if you download the dododex app or go to their website they have a section called 'Gathering Efficiency' that will tell you the best dino for gathering whatever resource you're after. Also some dinos compress resources that are in their inventory so you can harvest more before being over encumbered.

Overall the best thing you can do when you get on your server is to build a good reputation with the established tribes that are on there. Don't beg for dinos or resources, ask if they would trade for them even if you don't have much to trade with because most people are going to respect someone who is trying to take the time to properly learn and play the game versus a moocher that just expects people to give them free stuff that they're just going to get killed in 5 minutes because they don't know what the hell they're doing. If you get on good terms with people they'll be happy to answer your questions usually and will try to help you out but do watch out for jerks and be very careful about who you let into your tribe or alliance with.

Sorry for the book but I hope you find some of it useful, best of luck to you.

BASE

You won't have a lot to choose from on pve, but if you find such a server - build not too far from mountains. You will need a lot of metal, crystal, stone etc. Mountains usually have all of that and argents that you will tame to carry the good stuff.

XP

It's 2x xp atm. Look around and find explorer notes, which will give additional 2x. Craft hats. Then small storage boxes. Then narcs - 10 mortars at the same time.

TAMING

Use kibble. Probably won't be available to you early on so just use berries or meat. Everything in ark takes decades so this is a nice test actually, if you can't deal with long taming - it will only get worse later when you try breeding so run from ark before you get hooked.

SURVIVAL

Dying a lot during early-game is how it suppose to work. It's okay.

Level your speed - allows you to run away from everything. Some stamina so you can run longer. More hp to take more hits before you die. You will be able to re-allocate those points later with mindwipe.

Use tames for gathering and travel. Get flyer asap. Fly everywhere. Yes, even 2m from toilet to cropplots.

1 hour ago, LordHotPockets said:

Single player probably isn't a bad idea to get a handle on things but if you're determined to forge ahead on official this is my 2 cents on your questions.

Base - Far too broad a question with so many differing opinions on what should be built, the best thing you can do is look up building videos on YouTube and find something that appeals to you. As far as the other questions I would say build your first base with the thought in mind that it's a starter base to get you going and you're building up resources to find a permanent spot. Generally a good permanent spot would be someplace you can gate off easily (or is up high and mostly inaccessible unless you have flyers) that is fairly close to a water source if possible. When you're building that permanent base a general tip would be to use large walls instead of individual walls because it cuts down on lag and structure limit.

XP - Best way to do this early on I've found is to build lots of stone walls, place them, demolish them for 1/2 resources and craft more. Other structures like ceilings or foundations will give you more xp but walls are cheaper. Also once you get a rex or any respectable meat eater then just roaming around and murdering things can be a consistent way to earn XP.

Taming - There are so many videos on how to properly tame things and several websites shows you popular regions for dino spawns so a little research and you'll learn the basics. I would recommend that you tame a berry eater first because you're going to need narcoberries to tame anything. Farming can help with this but it's really a mid to late game component so you're going to struggle with it early on. My personal recommendation is to tame a parasaur for immediate berry collection and then take the time (6+ hours on 2x taming) to tame a high level stego early on because raptors can't rip you off the seat easily and they can hold their own against most dinos, except a rex and the like of course. Get some starter meat eaters like raptors or carnos tamed so you can start stockpiling narcotics and narc arrows to tame a rex. Just work your way up from there.

Survival - Your dinos will do most of the work for you in this game, a good way to not get killed by dinos often is to be on the back of a bigger dino that kills them first, preferably a Rex, Giga, or Wyvern. Of course you're not going to have those early on so if you do resource runs always take a carno bodyguard with you in case you run into trouble and get good at running away for awhile until you get a Rex. Gathering resources efficiently is also best done by dinos and if you download the dododex app or go to their website they have a section called 'Gathering Efficiency' that will tell you the best dino for gathering whatever resource you're after. Also some dinos compress resources that are in their inventory so you can harvest more before being over encumbered.

Overall the best thing you can do when you get on your server is to build a good reputation with the established tribes that are on there. Don't beg for dinos or resources, ask if they would trade for them even if you don't have much to trade with because most people are going to respect someone who is trying to take the time to properly learn and play the game versus a moocher that just expects people to give them free stuff that they're just going to get killed in 5 minutes because they don't know what the hell they're doing. If you get on good terms with people they'll be happy to answer your questions usually and will try to help you out but do watch out for jerks and be very careful about who you let into your tribe or alliance with.

Thank you very much on this awesome post, helped a lot ! 

Base:  Build wherever you find metal spawns.  Build right on top of the spawns, after you mine them away.  Discard the metal, neither you or anyone else needs it.  Once all the metal is mined and thrown away, build a giant cube.  I mean, unbelievably giant.  Also, build an equally enormous ring of behemoth gates around your area so that people know how good you are at building behemoth gates.

XP:  Kill Dodos.  They are the Boars of ARK (not to be mistaken for the actual Boars of ARK).  As you kill more Dodos, other dinos will fear you and leave you alone, but the accumulated Dodo blood will slightly slow your movement speed.  After a big kill streak, avoid water.  The water washes the Dodo blood off, makes you vulnerable again, and summons giant Sharks.

Taming:  Pet any dino to tame, especially carnivores.  Frequency of pets will depend on the specific dino, see heartsnotdarts.com for petting requirements by species.  While taming (in between pettings), you have to sprint and jump around otherwise the effectiveness of the tame drops.  You wanna look in the very-tippy-top of the volcano, in the lava.  That's where the best dinos are.  They should swim up and be more willing to be tamed if you are in the lava too, so jump on in.

Survival:  Build in the coldest area.  Your greatest (and only) foe will be the cold, because ARK devs turned off ARK snow-biome spawns.  Gather resources with only stone tools, of primitive quality, and don't go over your base melee stat or base weight stat.  Contrary to what you might think, this will help you get more resources.  Remember:  It's all about remaining streamlined.  Higher damage tools will weigh more so you swing them slower, and that's not streamlined.  More melee damage slows your swings down too, because your arms weigh more, and your character also uses a TON of food to power the huge arm-muscles, and that's REALLY not streamlined.

1 hour ago, LordHotPockets said:

2 hours ago, deedoubleu said:

BASE

You won't have a lot to choose from on pve, but if you find such a server - build not too far from mountains. You will need a lot of metal, crystal, stone etc. Mountains usually have all of that and argents that you will tame to carry the good stuff.

XP

It's 2x xp atm. Look around and find explorer notes, which will give additional 2x. Craft hats. Then small storage boxes. Then narcs - 10 mortars at the same time.

TAMING

Use kibble. Probably won't be available to you early on so just use berries or meat. Everything in ark takes decades so this is a nice test actually, if you can't deal with long taming - it will only get worse later when you try breeding so run from ark before you get hooked.

SURVIVAL

Dying a lot during early-game is how it suppose to work. It's okay.

Level your speed - allows you to run away from everything. Some stamina so you can run longer. More hp to take more hits before you die. You will be able to re-allocate those points later with mindwipe.

Use tames for gathering and travel. Get flyer asap. Fly everywhere. Yes, even 2m from toilet to cropplots.

Awesome suggestion, but one question, why to fly always and everywhere?

5 hours ago, Cybel said:

Hello, I'm Cybel and i recently started to play ark (PvE) (30 Hours) (the island)
I played on pve server for about an 25 hours and I was dying a lot and i could not get my dinosaurs tamed, and i could not get resources when i was building my first ever base, it took a lot of time because i had primitive axe and pickaxe but i was about 50th level. 
I would like you guys to help me with this thing.

Base- how to build it and what it should look like and where to build it, what should i have in there.
XPhow to gain xp faster and level up both my dinos and my character faster.
Taming- how to tame dinos faster, what to do while taming,where to tame them.
Survival-
How not to get killed by dinos often, how to gather resources efficiently.

That would be it. Feel free to write any additional suggestion that you think would help me and
THANK YOU!

BUT for real:

Base: S+ additional structures, namely the triangle parts and pieces, can make some really cool bases (Google some designs, there are a LOT out there).  Build in stone as soon as possible, because only the Titanosaur (totally neutral, will never attack you first), Giganotosaurus (VERY LARGE and VERY AGGRESSIVE chomper), and Alpha Dinos (aggressive, larger than non-Alpha counterparts, with a red/white colorscheme and a fiery glow) can damage stone.  If you find that you have built anywhere that Alpha Dinos or the Giganotosaurii spawn, I strongly encourage you to consider moving your base.  What you WANT to store inside will be the determining factor of how big you should build.  If you want to comfortably store dinos smaller than Rexes, a 6-high building will fit them decently while still only needing a dinosaur gateway.  If you want to store Brontos or a Giga, you need a much larger building with a big behemoth gate.

XP:  Craft cloth hats (10 fiber apiece), narcotics, cooking pots, and actual structure parts for your base.  Early on, it is tough to actually use dinos for experience unless you know what you are doing very well, and even then it can go sideways really fast.  So, craft your butt off.  A Dino gets a small amount of experience when your tribemate crafts anything, provided YOU ARE MOUNTED ON A DINO.  But the XP only is given if the dino-rider is not the crafter.  So, if your tribemate is crafting cloth hats, and you are riding your Parasaur within range of your tribemate, your Parasaur will get experience.  If you move too far away, your Parasaur doesn't get experience.  If you craft hats and jump on a Parasaur, your Parasaur doesn't get experience.  At later levels, your tribemate can queue up wood in the Industrial Grinder (1000 at a time) and that XP will go to whatever dino you are riding on provided you remain close enough.

Taming:  The only "faster" way to tame them is to use their preferred kibble, or a tier above if you have more of that kibble.  Kibble is a specially blended mix of fiber, dino egg, water, berries, and protein.  Dinos are cuckoo for kibble, but many kibble-tamed dinos still take 1 to 2 hours to tame (at the higher levels).  The only way around that is to tame during Evolution Events, which are generally 2x the normal taming rate meaning your 2 hour tame is now 1 hour.  While the creature is taming, focus on protecting it.  Build spikewalls, or actual walls, as a barrier to ward off interloping wild dinos that will hit your tame.  If wild dinos hit your unconscious tame while it is starving and eating food, it will lower the taming effectiveness (commonly called the "TE").  That goes for you too.  If you accidentally hit it while it is unconscious, it will lower the TE.  Lower TE means less bonus levels.  As far as where, that depends on the actual dino.  Look at spawn maps for an idea of where the dino you want to tame spawns in at.  Then, go there and hunt for a high level one.

Survival:  In order to never die in ARK, here's the scoop and I'm gonna tell ya -  Don't play ARK!  Kidding aside, you will die.  You will die more at lower levels, but you still die at high levels with a base full of dinos.  Mishaps, slip-ups, disconnects, crashes, internet outages, and more will cost your Survivor his life.  But as a foot-traveling Survivor, your options are to carry a big stick, or sprint your little ass off.  Most choose the latter because it is easier.  Higher movement speed works brilliantly for getting distance between you and Meanosauruses.  And, use dinos for resource gathering.  After hand-harvesting berries for a Stego tame, you will be amazed at how fast that Stego fills a storage box with other berries.  The resource you intend to gather will select what dino you use (or need to tame).  Therizino/DireBear/Giant Ape for fiber, Stego/Trike for berries and thatch, Therizino/Mammoth/Beaver for wood, Doed for stone, Ankylosaurus for metal, and so on and so forth.  Visit dododex.com and find their list of gathering efficiency per material.

Archived