Search Mod with vanilla Bosses for other Maps

McBane

Search Mod with vanilla Bosses for other Maps

Hi,

Does someone know a Mod (maybe Map-Extension), which makes it possible to add vanilla Bosses including Ascension and cutscene to another map?
I'm asking because I'm tired to host a dead map (no players most of the time) only because there is a needed boss for ascension and story (cutscene).
For example, having Rockwell + Arena + Cutscene on Island or Ragnarok would be great. This way I could shut down my Aberration server and recover resources for something else.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not aware of any mod that does this, but have you considered switching maps to fulfill this need?  For example, I play on a clustered server, but one of the servers in the cluster rotates maps on an as needed basis (so we don't have to pay for a bunch of extra servers just to do a boss fight on a specific map).  We've also enabled uploads/downloads in the past when we were migrating to a new map (before clusters were a thing), so you might be able to use that option if you don't want to run a cluster, but still want to do the boss fights.

10 hours ago, Gwynn said:

I'm not aware of any mod that does this, but have you considered switching maps to fulfill this need?  For example, I play on a clustered server, but one of the servers in the cluster rotates maps on an as needed basis (so we don't have to pay for a bunch of extra servers just to do a boss fight on a specific map).  We've also enabled uploads/downloads in the past when we were migrating to a new map (before clusters were a thing), so you might be able to use that option if you don't want to run a cluster, but still want to do the boss fights.

Definietly an interesting idea. But this would create logistic trouble, I think.
E.g: What about players still on that map when it changes? They have to wait until the map rotes back to the other map and also aren't able to go to other cluster maps when the character is stuck on offline map.

That's why you announce it ahead of time and set it as the message of the day.

Or if you feel inclined, with Aberration you could spawn in a transmitter to allow people to freely enter and leave the map. A lot of people may not want to play on Ab because once you get on the map you're kind of stuck there for awhile because there isn't really an easy way to transfer out. Last server I played on someone had built a public transmitter at Fertile 3 so people could spawn in and easily access the transmitter. I'm sure that helped the map be more active with players than it would be normally since anyone could transfer in and out as they pleased.

If you have at least two maps in a cluster, that makes it a lot easier.  Our rotating map server, for example, clearly has as the MoTD "Do not leave dinos or characters on this map unless you don't want to have immediate access to them - this individual server rotates through maps by request on our discord server".  Occasionally someone does it anyway, then they have to request I change the map back to the one they're stuck on :P  If you want the details on how I do this (I've gotten it down to a change that takes me all of about 1 minute of work and a server restart) pm me and I'll explain.

2 hours ago, Gwynn said:

Our rotating map server, for example, clearly has as the MoTD "Do not leave dinos or characters on this map unless you don't want to have immediate access to them

Yes, I think this would be the only solution. But I already see people who don't read any welcome texts and then getting annoyed with this situation....

2 hours ago, Gwynn said:

Occasionally someone does it anyway, then they have to request I change the map back to the one they're stuck on

This is something I would prefere to not do. This would disturb all other players currently on the running map.

2 hours ago, Gwynn said:

If you want the details on how I do this (I've gotten it down to a change that takes me all of about 1 minute of work and a server restart) pm me and I'll explain

Thank you. But I think, I will invent my own scripts, if I decide to do this. Tehy will fit better into my environment ?

20 hours ago, Cymas said:

Or if you feel inclined, with Aberration you could spawn in a transmitter to allow people to freely enter and leave the map. A lot of people may not want to play on Ab because once you get on the map you're kind of stuck there for awhile because there isn't really an easy way to transfer ou

This was something I already did a few weeks after Aberration was released. I've created an own mod just for this purpose and placed 3 of those obelisks around the map. But this doesn't changes anything for players nowadays. No one really likes Aberration (at least in my community).

Archived