smoshy314

What Do I Do?

I have a dilemma. I Love this game I have many hours on it and I recently started playing again on Small Tribes. I got lucky day one and met some great people who needed to fill a spot in their tribe. We have been building up and instantly getting wiped for two weeks now. I don't even know what to do. We were on a pretty friendly server with a pretty hidden base. We have tried moving bases and maps. Idk what to do anymore like I wanna have fun but getting wiped by a mek b4 we even have heavies. I mean they weren't undefended bases but like seriously. I wanna play pvp and I don't wanna sound like one of those people who r like 'I got raided in pvp no way' but I just want a couple days without getting wiped like seriously. What do I do?

Your problem is the fact that you're playing PvP on an official server. Unofficial is your new livelihood and key to enjoying this game, for the cheaters hath ruined it for us all on official. Let them fight amongst themselves, for your involvement is an automatic forfeiture.

...Besides, x10 and up is just soo much more fun and far less time-consuming. Lets you experience the game without the loss of your own life.

40 minutes ago, Masurao said:

Your problem is the fact that you're playing PvP on an official server. Unofficial is your new livelihood and key to enjoying this game, for the cheaters hath ruined it for us all on official. Let them fight amongst themselves, for your involvement is an automatic forfeiture.

...Besides, x10 and up is just soo much more fun and far less time-consuming. Lets you experience the game without the loss of your own life.

X10 does not equal fun. Only devalues your effort.

Small tribes official pvp is not built for casual players. That was the concept but in reality it is designed for ×elite× (eyeroll) gamers who have way more time to play than you do. You and your tribe should try your hand at the regular officials and find a good alpha that you can eventually become allied with. Until that happens building up will be damn neat impossible unless you have 5+ members and/or a ton of time.

On 11/22/2019 at 5:06 PM, Masurao said:

Absolutely correct, dude.
I used to have time to play this game but I never touched official servers unless I was in the middle of a summer break. Mostly because I never really had the time. ARK on official servers will easily suck your life away. Some people would probably consider me "garbage" or say I need to "get good" to play official servers but the truth is I never have a lot of people who actually play the game, let alone have the time to play it. Official servers are NOT meant for casual players at all.
Also, not related to this post, but this to those people who call users garbage because they do not have the time; just because someone does not have the time to dedicate their life to a video game does NOT make them garbage, at all. Plenty of people have school and/or jobs, and I've even seen players skip school or work just to play this game, which is pretty darn hilarious.

On 11/22/2019 at 4:59 PM, Thyme said:

Not too much you can do on official tbh. There will always be people scouring the map and blowing up everything with their (likely duped) meks. You can try the other gamemodes like ARKpocalypse or try unofficial servers.

This is the other problem I was going to mention. Exploit abuse will always plague every single official server, there will always be at least one group of people who are sitting there and doing nothing but exploiting bugs in the game engine. It is very rare to find ANY official server that is not infested with duplicated items, etc. (Usually they are dead because of those exploiters, too.) Nowadays, exploit abuse is basically a staple of the game, and very rarely is there any admins to ever police any of those official servers.

A medal of honor goes to the toxicity on official servers, and it again, has to do with the fact that official PvP (and PvE) servers are very rarely moderated. Not nearly as bad as being raided by exploiters or worse, hackers/cheaters, but definitely enough to steer me, and likely many other players away from them.

Unofficial servers are always an option if you want PvP for sure. It's always nice to see one that doesn't have mad boosted rates or  (in the case of being on Steam) is modded to crap, a server where the rates are just high enough to not be forced to spend HOURS getting anything, and not TOO high to the point where you punch a tree and get overly-encumbered with wood and thatch. Of course, there are SOME official servers that have abusive admins, but definitely not a widespread problem. Sure, the first unofficial server you may find may not be perfect, or even very good for that matter, but there has to be at least a few with those well balanced rates, and likely mods that don't change the game too much but rather add quality-of-life features. ARK is still one of the most popular games on Steam, so there is thousands of game servers for you to explore and see if they fit your needs. Alternatively, if you have a bit of money to invest, you could always rent your own. (Again, if you're on Steam, Nitrado is not recommended since there are different providers that are far cheaper and generally higher quality. If you're on console, it's your only option.)

On 11/22/2019 at 5:47 PM, Luewen said:

X10 does not equal fun. Only devalues your effort.

Not sure I can agree when the effort yields the type of fruit that is heavily influenced upon - but not limited to - crappy frame rate, lag, and heavy exploits, not to mention just random disappearances and glitches. Behaving on that fundamental, then being slapped in the face with personal effort that is further devalued by uncontrollable in-game parameters dictates that an easier method of achieving your basic needs more quickly is much more equitable, profitable and downright enjoyable.

Question: Does x10 devalue effort?

Answer: Not as much as the aforementioned in-game issues.

So yes...I say again that I think the problems devalue effort much more than gaining resources more quickly. I try to take the logical approach to problems as best I can.

On 11/22/2019 at 5:37 PM, smoshy314 said:

What Do I Do?

We have been building up and instantly getting wiped for two weeks now. ...  We were on a pretty friendly server with a pretty hidden base.

That doesn't add up. If you're constantly getting wiped the server is not friendly and your bases are not hidden.

On 11/22/2019 at 5:37 PM, smoshy314 said:

We have tried moving bases and maps. Idk what to do anymore like I wanna have fun but getting wiped by a mek b4 we even have heavies. I mean they weren't undefended bases but like seriously. I wanna play pvp and I don't wanna sound like one of those people who r like 'I got raided in pvp no way' but I just want a couple days without getting wiped like seriously. What do I do?

That's PvP in this game. You have 3 options:

1) Build much better defenses for your bases

2) Keep on moving to new servers until you find one that lets you grow more.

3) You and your new friends need to discuss moving to PvE.

Nothing that we can tell you on the forums is going to make this better, you have to decide if you really want to play PvP.

On 11/26/2019 at 4:50 PM, XxMayhemxX said:

They WERE on a friendly server. then they moved to the one they are getting raided.

Disagree, that's not how the sequence of his post reads.

"We were on a pretty friendly server with a pretty hidden base. We have tried moving bases and maps."

You're thinking that they left the "pretty friendly server" they were on and then started having problems on other servers after they left the friendly server. But that doesn't make sense, there would be no reason to try "moving bases and maps" if that original server was still friendly. The whole reason they have been "moving bases and maps" is because their original "friendly" server wasn't actually friendly to begin with.

If that original server really was "friendly" then they would have already solved their problem by going back to that original server, there wouldn't be any reason for him to ask for advice.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/26/2019 at 10:39 PM, Pipinghot said:

Disagree, that's not how the sequence of his post reads.

"We were on a pretty friendly server with a pretty hidden base. We have tried moving bases and maps."

You're thinking that they left the "pretty friendly server" they were on and then started having problems on other servers after they left the friendly server. But that doesn't make sense, there would be no reason to try "moving bases and maps" if that original server was still friendly. The whole reason they have been "moving bases and maps" is because their original "friendly" server wasn't actually friendly to begin with.

If that original server really was "friendly" then they would have already solved their problem by going back to that original server, there wouldn't be any reason for him to ask for advice.

well were is past tense... so i think i interpreted it right, unless he worded it wrong..   but thats how i interpreted it.  They *were* (I interpreted as "used to play on)a freindly server, had no problems.. then moved to this one, and are struggling...  He starts off by saying he recently started playing again, so im assuming the "were" was his older experience on the game, in the past, on diff servers, that they "were" on.

1 hour ago, XxMayhemxX said:

well were is past tense... so i think i interpreted it right, unless he worded it wrong..   but thats how i interpreted it.  They *were* (I interpreted as "used to play on)a freindly server, had no problems.. then moved to this one, and are struggling...  He starts off by saying he recently started playing again, so im assuming the "were" was his older experience on the game, in the past, on diff servers, that they "were" on.

Yes, he mixed tenses freely in the OP.

" I recently [recent past/present] started playing again on Small Tribes. I got lucky day one and met [past tense, but referring to the people he just recently met] some great people who needed to fill a spot in their tribe. We have been [present] building up and instantly getting [present]wiped for two weeks now [present, the people he just met, during the last two weeks]. I don't even know what to do. We were [past tense, and yet clearly referring to the new people that he just met in the recent two weeks] on a pretty friendly server with a pretty hidden base."

Context is everything, and regardless of the OP's confusing uses of tenses it's clear that every thing he's talking about has happened in the last two weeks, since returning to the game and meeting new people. Nothing he said has anything to do with the actual past, it's all about his recent (two weeks old) return to the game.

Having said that, a bigger question is why you thought it was necessary to argue his case for him, when it clearly wasn't important to him. Your contribution to this thread was to pointlessly but in and "defend" the OP from something he didn't even care about defending for himself. Maybe next time wait to see if someone actually needs defending, he clearly didn't.

On 11/24/2019 at 5:30 PM, Pipinghot said:

That doesn't add up. If you're constantly getting wiped the server is not friendly and your bases are not hidden.

That's PvP in this game. You have 3 options:

1) Build much better defenses for your bases

2) Keep on moving to new servers until you find one that lets you grow more.

3) You and your new friends need to discuss moving to PvE.

Nothing that we can tell you on the forums is going to make this better, you have to decide if you really want to play PvP.

4 minutes ago, XxMayhemxX said:

this is why ...   you kind of attacked him.. amd he IMO..  was clearly talking about his past experience he wass on a friendly server.. but now he isn't..   his post didn't add up to you.. and thats why.. just pointing out why his post didnt add up to you.. made perfect sense to me.

No, his post is perfectly clear to me, he contradicted himself. It's pretty simple really.

Small tribes is rough. No alliances, limit to 6 tribe members, and triple rates. Rates may seem like a good thing, but it’s definitely a downside when you consider the amount of griefers and PVPers who just want to kill. Takes less than a day BY YOURSELF to get c4 and be capable of raiding people’s bases, so imagine what 6 people together with the intention of wiping a server can do. It’s tough but it’s doable. 

Before beginning to set up defenses, you need to bring zero attention to yourself in the server. If you can, try to keep your tribe’s existence hidden from everyone. Don’t build a base immediately, just do what is necessary to get metal, tames, and resources. My tribe had two wooden foundations buried into the side of a mountain, only grinding for resources and metal foundations. We were able to plop down a metal base before people even knew we were there. We had 200+ turrets that made our base glow red like a christmas tree from a distance, and we were unraidable by anyone who wasn’t willing to bring an army of high-level tames. It gave us a sense of security and made us feel safe enough to do what we wanted without worrying about someone just randomly killing us and ruining our work. Now that Meks and other extinction creatures are a thing, it’s a bit harder to protect yourself but it’s still possible. Mind you there are several tribes who have thousands of turrets and defenses much more rigorous than I have made and they are typically the top dogs in the server.

First step is building up a basic defense. Find plant x seeds.Tame like 5 Phiomias, make a compost bin, and use their poop to start collecting ferts. Make as many large crop plots as you have seeds. Place them around, on top, and inside of your base. Fill each to the brim with ferts if you have a stable way of mass producing them.

Second step is building an advanced defense system. After step one is done, begin grinding for gunpowder. Make more than you can fill 10 storage boxes with. Farm for metal ingots. Store them somewhere and try to level up until you have multiple generators and turrets. Make advanced bullets and fill the turrets up. Place them all around your base, on towers, on the ground, inside, and at possible vantage points near your base.

Finally, create barriers that make accessing your valuables a tough process. Metal spiked walls, large signs, pillars, traps, buffer rooms, decoy bases; anything that further slows down the enemy from reaching you and tossing c4 on your items.

At this point it’s going to be difficult for someone to raid you without the possibility of them losing a mass amount of resources and/or tames. It won’t be impossible but it will be difficult. If defenses are your first priority then life will be easier in the long run; the short run may seem like a constant grind but if you are worried about your longevity in a server then this is your best option to take.

Doing anything but focusing on your defenses will almost always result in your complete destruction. This is coming from someone who has played a plethora of official PVP servers and has been raided, griefed, and wiped more times than i can count. I’ve taken breaks, Ive nearly given up, and Ive almost cried from the frustration of losing what I had spent months working for. The Ark life is rough, and you have to be willing to dedicate your time to it if you want to last. 

If you don’t do this, consider moving to unofficial servers or going to PVE. There aren’t many other routes you can take to protect yourself. 

6 hours ago, XxMayhemxX said:

so its pretty clear to you now?  Cuz at first you jumped on him for it not adding up..  maybe i makes sense to you cuz i actually explained what happened..  peace!  :)

Yes, it's perfectly clear that he contradicted himself. That was always perfectly clear, right from the beginning. I never said that I was confused, I said that his claims didn't add up.

And just as clearly, you misunderstood my post as much as you misunderstood his.

Archived