Improve wandering

StiTched

Suggestion

Improve wandering

First post folks, be gentle. But not too gentle ;)

I'd really appreciate improvements to cover two major flaws in "wandering", which I feel is really an essential part of the game for anyone not on a server so crowded you can't breathe. It's great for players that appreciate immersion and like their dinos to roam their bases, and for those daring enough to tame entire small islands. 

The flaws are:
-Pathing is so, so, SO bad. Actually this is a very general issue, but immediately noticeable here because you only have to let a few dinos go wandering before they inevitably start lodging themselves under rocks in the nearest body of water and drowning en masse. 

-Why can't wandering animals feed themselves at all? It's the lesser of the two issues and I appreciate we have feeding troughs, but these feel more like for pitching them back at base where all the stabled/contained animals can be fed without going to each individually. Dinos don't starve to death wandering before I tame them; if a giga can get so angry he chucks me off mid battle, it's safe to say they aren't so domesticated they've forgotten how to feed themselves. 

The latter is food for thought (excuse the pun) at best, but pathing in ARK is something that is really overdue improvements on.

Cheers.

4 replies to this server topic

2 minutes ago, WarpSpasm said:

I think self feeding on wander only if the 'food' is/has spawned in within range of the wandering dino. Herbivores would need bushes and carnivores would need smaller dinos nearby.

Thinking about it carnivores can probably already feed themselves if set to aggressive, because they'll attack the corpse afterwards. But no behaviour tells herbivores to attack bushes, so they need the handfeeding at present.

29 minutes ago, StiTched said:

But no behaviour tells herbivores to attack bushes, so they need the handfeeding at present.

But like you said previously, wild dinos seem to feed themselves before taming (although they don't destroy the resource spawn item [bushes]). My thinking was that in an area without bushes or small dinos it would be unreasonable to believe that dinos could feed themselves, the mechanic for auto feeding would have to account for the wild food source radius. Just food for thought.

Archived