Game Progression

merandoo

Game Progression

I am returning after a long break (got sick to death of toxic tribes blocking content and generally being a**holes) and have decided to play solo.

I have been wondering how people look at progression and would be interested in any recommendations.

Ive built a little army of 3 trikes (lvl 25-65) and 5 dilo's (lvl 65 -145) and have been having fun running around with them.

My plan is roughly:

Build a taming boat once I unlock stone and get  some Raptors and Carno's

Get some air support at lvl 38 so I can fly

Medium term get a parasaur at lvl 58 (I think) as I used to love my mobile base

What else do people recommend or what have they done?

I am currently in zone 1 but plan to move up to the river mid map so I can access all the caves (I plan on progressing via the story)

My favorite dino when I started on my private server empty map was the Baronyx because I could used it for everything, including raiding caves and do most of the things underwater.  I got high level ones and breeded them. I suggest you put pillars and a ceiling on river spot where rocks block youre boat so you can easily navigate rivers after you remove the stones.

You are doing it wrong. There is no need to slowly level up and play with low level characters. Or tame useless dinos like raptors and carnos.

This is how you play ARK correctly. Spawn on island, do a note run. You can reach level 70 in 20 mins on official rates. Search on youtube for "ark note run" to see how it is done.

Then you go to ragnarok, spawn on highlands, tame a horse to farm narcoberries. Then tame a pteranodon.  After that tame an argy. On highlands you will find pletiful sheep which you can kill for mutton and tame decent high level flyers..

Once you have you argy you are all set and can farm up whatever you want easily, and kill almost any wild dino. It takes only 3-4 hours at most to get to this stage playing on official rates.

Dont waste your time getting useless dinos like thylas or other random land dinos. After flyers next dino you should get is a managarmr. Manas are strongest dinos in game and you can kill anything with it. They are also fastest dino in game and can also go underwater (and is much faster than actual underwater tames).  Manas will make game super easy for you.

After manas get some gachas and some owls. They give you resources for free. You feed them seeds, which you can make in limitless quantities with an iguanadon, some crop plots. With gachas you never have to worry about farming rare resources like crystal, pearl, oil etc ever again. Makes life super easy for smaller tribes.

For caves get some cryopods. There is no limitations on what dinos you can bring to caves anymore. Yiu can run caves with high level theriz if you want it easy mode.

That was couple of good tips.. I'm getting back to the game after a long break as well... I like to play on official pve servers.. and I'm wondering the best way to go for no wasting time... I'm currently in the Island lvl 71 with no tames.. I was going to try tame a low lvl argy but after see this topic I'm thinking go to Ragnarok xD

For progressing through the story, I would recommend doing it a little more efficiently.

Build your boat now, take your best trike with you. Optional, tame a seagull. Sail up the western coast until you reach the area just south of the snow biome. This is carno point "the mosh pit" and many other names. This is where you want to set up a taming base at the very least, if not your main base. The area south of the large rock is relatively safe, just watch out for the two sarco spawns and sometimes carnivores will roam far enough down to aggro.

From this location you can go a little bit south and easily tame a ptera, use the ptera to run notes until you can make an argent saddle. Then tame a decent level argent, they're very common around carno point and you can venture into the snow a short distance if you have to lure one. Once you've got the argent you're in a great spot. At carno point you can find and tame the following animals: anky, doed, rex, argent, allo, also lure yutys and mammoths down from the glacier. You could also tame a saber for caves, personally I prefer the bary. A decent argent with some HP invested should be able to carry one over from the Volcano river (while looking for otters).

Cryopods are available on all maps at a fairly low level now, so it's not as necessary to keep a central base location. I prefer the carno point area because it's so easy to find most of your basic utility/boss tames. I actually ended up building a large multipen taming arena there and have had all pens in use at once before. It's such a great area for animals.

Focus on setting up your kibble farm as quickly as possible and getting your breeding area up and running.

Also set up an outpost around the swamp cave so you can start farming for saddle blueprints as early as possible. I tried every possible method for getting saddle bps and that was the only one that was worthwhile, at least on The Island. The outpost is necessary so you can easily repair your armor. Plus you could set up a forge area there, the Redwoods mountain is good for metal and crystal.

Of course this is just one option, and the method I'm currently using. I've been playing through the story maps myself and after 5 months of regular play I was able to start doing bosses. Finding decent rexes is a real crapshoot, and the rng on saddle bps is awful. It's worth it to set up your infrastructure as early as possible so you can invest the bulk of your time into actual boss prep.

If you're transferring between maps freely (I'm not), it's significantly easier since you can get wyverns, snow owls, velos, manas etc. I've also heard deinonychus absolutely shred bosses so that could be a worthwhile endeavor as well. Either way, ultimately getting airborne and leveled as quickly as possible to unlock all the necessary Engrams are going to be at the top of the list for priorities.

2 hours ago, Cymas said:

For progressing through the story, I would recommend doing it a little more efficiently.

Build your boat now, take your best trike with you. Optional, tame a seagull. Sail up the western coast until you reach the area just south of the snow biome. This is carno point "the mosh pit" and many other names. This is where you want to set up a taming base at the very least, if not your main base. The area south of the large rock is relatively safe, just watch out for the two sarco spawns and sometimes carnivores will roam far enough down to aggro.

From this location you can go a little bit south and easily tame a ptera, use the ptera to run notes until you can make an argent saddle. Then tame a decent level argent, they're very common around carno point and you can venture into the snow a short distance if you have to lure one. Once you've got the argent you're in a great spot. At carno point you can find and tame the following animals: anky, doed, rex, argent, allo, also lure yutys and mammoths down from the glacier. You could also tame a saber for caves, personally I prefer the bary. A decent argent with some HP invested should be able to carry one over from the Volcano river (while looking for otters).

Cryopods are available on all maps at a fairly low level now, so it's not as necessary to keep a central base location. I prefer the carno point area because it's so easy to find most of your basic utility/boss tames. I actually ended up building a large multipen taming arena there and have had all pens in use at once before. It's such a great area for animals.

Focus on setting up your kibble farm as quickly as possible and getting your breeding area up and running.

Also set up an outpost around the swamp cave so you can start farming for saddle blueprints as early as possible. I tried every possible method for getting saddle bps and that was the only one that was worthwhile, at least on The Island. The outpost is necessary so you can easily repair your armor. Plus you could set up a forge area there, the Redwoods mountain is good for metal and crystal.

Of course this is just one option, and the method I'm currently using. I've been playing through the story maps myself and after 5 months of regular play I was able to start doing bosses. Finding decent rexes is a real crapshoot, and the rng on saddle bps is awful. It's worth it to set up your infrastructure as early as possible so you can invest the bulk of your time into actual boss prep.

If you're transferring between maps freely (I'm not), it's significantly easier since you can get wyverns, snow owls, velos, manas etc. I've also heard deinonychus absolutely shred bosses so that could be a worthwhile endeavor as well. Either way, ultimately getting airborne and leveled as quickly as possible to unlock all the necessary Engrams are going to be at the top of the list for priorities.

This is a very good post. When heading up the coat, I would take as many of your tames as possible. Also, make sure you stay close to shore, or leeds will attack. Carno pint is the top left of this map. 
https://ark.gamepedia.com/Western_Coast

3ED6C5F0-837D-486D-BB30-FE20E7E07BA1.jpeg

Archived