Solo quetz taming

Fellstormlord

There are several methods described in the ARK-wiki, but I think best choice is a Tapejara because it has a passenger seat from where you can use your weapons while steering the Tapejara with the "Move there" whistle-command. It's tricky and need some exercise. A Griffin is also suited, but more difficult to tame than a Tapejara.

10 minutes ago, Zapha said:

There are several methods described in the ARK-wiki, but I think best choice is a Tapejara because it has a passenger seat from where you can use your weapons while steering the Tapejara with the "Move there" whistle-command. It's tricky and need some exercise. A Griffin is also suited, but more difficult to tame than a Tapejara.

Doesn't that require some one else in "the driver" seat and tapejaras dont spawn on my broken valguero map

No, that's the trick when using the Tapejara. The driver seat can be empty. Same with the Griffin.

Once I tried it with grappling at a Argentarius. That works with all flying mounts but you can only do some shots until you have to use a parachute the get back on the Argy and then get back over the Quetzal. But I was not able to hit it often enough. Maybe doable by this way but damn hard.

Tapejaras should spawn near the green obelisk, have you looked there?

4 hours ago, Zapha said:

Once I tried it with grappling at a Argentarius. That works with all flying mounts but you can only do some shots until you have to use a parachute the get back on the Argy and then get back over the Quetzal. But I was not able to hit it often enough. Maybe doable by this way but damn hard.

Might take some practice, but once I figured out the solo grappling hook/argy method, quetz became one of the simplest tames.  Considering no other dinos will mess with you that high in the air (unless you're taming over the wyvern trench or something), you really only need to worry about where the quetz is going to land and what else is down there.

5 hours ago, Zapha said:

No, that's the trick when using the Tapejara. The driver seat can be empty. Same with the Griffin.

Tapejaras should spawn near the green obelisk, have you looked there?

My first base was there on that map. There are multiple spawn glitches for me I only just moved to the red wood/chalk hills area

Plus can't you stand on wyveerrrns when you get off them. Command them via whistle.

I almost always used a Griffin for solo tame. 

You can also try the owl freeze with dino gates. You do the owl bomb over top of the Quetzal, all the way to the ground then spam dino gates over it before it takes off again. 

Tape and Argy methods are described above.

Finally you can use one of those methods on a lower level quetz, then build a quetz trap on that quetz to tame a good level later.

58 minutes ago, SMP said:

Might take some practice, but once I figured out the solo grappling hook/argy method, quetz became one of the simplest tames.

Simplest tames are still those without wings.

The problem with the Quetzal is the hitbox and the high torpor regen. I had 200 darts with me when I tried it, but failed. The wings are like shields, if you hit a wing, nothing happens. And you have to continuously hit him successfully over a long time, or the torpor regen will ruin your effort. I read it's better to use the crossbow and not the dart rifle, because with the crossbow you do more torpor damage.

Anyway, I have aTapejara in my fridge, the next time I have motivation to play Ark again, I will try it again with the Quetzal.

6 minutes ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

You can also try the owl freeze with dino gates. You do the owl bomb over top of the Quetzal, all the way to the ground then spam dino gates over it before it takes off again.

If you try the snow owl method, make sure your owl has enough stamina. If it hits the ground without stamina it will take falling damage and your owl might die.

I saw a video on solo tame that seemed to explain why I had so much trouble taming Quetzals. If you hit it from a distance where you don't see the targeting icon, it will not take damage or torpor. You have to hit it close up.

The other thing to consider is that when a quetzal flees, it will head towards 50/50. On many maps, this is not a safe location to tame on the ground. Some people will prep that area as many times you end up there when it gets knocked out. About the only way to avoid that is to tame a low level for the first tame and hope you can knock it out before it ends up at 50/50.

2 hours ago, brenon45 said:

Recommended way I would say is to use a Griffin, it's just a great way to solo tame, tapa is also really good but getting a tapa can be tricky, griffin way easier since you can lure it to a trap.

I got my Tapa while sneaking half an hour through the jungle around the obelisk in ghillie armor. The armor prevents detection from the wildlife in the dangerous jungle and allows to get near enough to the easily  frightened Tapa to throw the bola.

Archived