Make Character Classes (Read All Before Commenting)

KRONOSDOUBLE

Suggestion

Make Character Classes (Read All Before Commenting)

One thing that could be cool is having the option to choose between different character classes. There could be the basic ones:

• Warriors- Higher Melee damage, Health, and Fortitude
  • Archers- Better with ranged weapons and have higher movement speed/agility.

We could also have a few outliers. Maybe one or two others like:

• Atlantean- Special underwater engrams and abilities like increased movement speed/strength/no oxygen stat when underwater, but have significant penalties when above water like seriously decreased movement speed, health, and taking damage over time slowly due to being out of their natural environment, like we would in the snow or desert biomes
  • Dwarf- Excellent cave builders, reduced cave damage on structures from 6x to 2x. All stats in caves would be increased by say 30%, but stats above ground are reduced by 30%. Tames would take the same penalties as the player, maybe more. 

These outlier classes and abilities would only be able to be utilized when playing solo or if you are a part of a tribe that consists of all the same character classes. So Dwarfs could keep their abilities when underground by only having a tribe of dwarf-classed characters. Same goes for Atlanteans, abilities can only be kept when in a tribe of same classed players or solo playing.

If you were to have an outlier class character (Dwarf/Atlantean) and join a tribe though of different classed players, you would simply have to play as a regular individual as you do now.

My goal with this post isn't to suggest that ARK should become a more fantasy based game, but instead to shed some light on a game aspect that needs some TLC.....

….our characters.

Many of us have been playing the ARK for a couple years now, some since the beginning. Everyone is so caught up with TLC for dinos like the griffin/quetz/carno etc., that we seem not be getting (asking for at least) improvements for our characters. Sure we get to level up some stats, but other than that there is nothing that makes a character actually stand out from the crowd. Points can be redistributed with a mindwipe potion to make a character different for a short while, but it doesn't make a character unique.

I hope yall like my idea. Suggestions, changes, and criticism are welcome and encouraged. Please do be respectful though.

10 replies to this server topic

19 minutes ago, Aylana314159 said:

That's already been done. Its called dark and light.

Ya, and it sucked. It never even felt like they finished that game. I doubt they ever will because it honestly is not nearly as popular as ARK. I don't think the different factions (races) really had much of a difference other than visual though. Mostly just affected your spawn point.

This sort of change, where roles are added belongs in a new game, not as a change to ARK.

One way this could be added to ARK though, would be as a mod. I know that there are already a few mods that change the character creation, so it is possible. Adding things like the dwarf cave benefits would be much harder though. I've written a few mods for Minecraft. I had one where you could become a dragon. Each dragon had different abilities. You could switch between the different types of dragons though. I think being able to switch your character type is important. If you don't allow switching, then the roles just become limiting. Most players want to try out all aspects of a game. Forcing them to start a new character on a new server is a bit severe for some people.

6 hours ago, Aylana314159 said:

It's too late for something like this. Atlas and Dark and Light (ark clones), both had more modular class-like systems.

This game is designed for ranged combat, melee combat not so much.

A suggestion like this is basically another game.

i wished it wasn't like that!

i think melee attack should be more important! 

and how i would do the "class" system would be for of a skill set! like passive effects!

like reduced food consumption , running uses less stamina! etc

1 minute ago, Udam said:

i wished it wasn't like that!

i think melee attack should be more important! 

and how i would do the "class" system would be for of a skill set! like passive effects!

like reduced food consumption , running uses less stamina! etc

Survival games like this are based on a first/third person shooter type implementation of the game engine. For PC, WC was too lazy to even change the demo file name from ShooterGame.

Conan Exiled attempted more melee and dodge mechanics. 

3 minutes ago, Aylana314159 said:

Survival games like this are based on a first/third person shooter type implementation of the game engine. For PC, WC was too lazy to even change the demo file name from ShooterGame.

Conan Exiled attempted more melee and dodge mechanics. 

Ehhh i got flashbacks from that!

but yeah it would have been nice if they worked more on "melee base combat" 

but a man can dream!

just like my tlc ideas lol

19 minutes ago, Udam said:

Ehhh i got flashbacks from that!

but yeah it would have been nice if they worked more on "melee base combat" 

but a man can dream!

just like my tlc ideas lol

It really is too late. Game is out of early access. Tying to redo or add completely game changing features like this could be devastating. 

Archived