What if there was no discord/global?

Logan96

What if there was no discord/global?

Self explanatory title. Imagine if players could only communicate in game, and only in tribe chat or locally. How much different would the game look? Unfortunately every effective tribe is forced to use some external source for communication but sometimes I wish there was a use for that in game radio, or that there was a need to fly out to an ally for the sake of checking on them.

I actually would enjoy a more in person ark experience, it would feel a bit more role play which could be fun on official.

It would give the useless radio a actual purpose again finally.

I know some games have (on console) that blocks you from playing certain gamemodes if you are in a party chat.

Wouldnt mind a server with a plugin that detects chat party software like discord or others to make people play with in game chat only.

Some role play servers do just this (I don't personally play any, but have read their rules in discord when looking for a server). An unofficial server can make any rules they want for a game. They could have a rule that there is no game chat in discord. All chat must be done in person. No reason you couldn't play that way if you wanted to.

21 minutes ago, wildbill said:

Some role play servers do just this (I don't personally play any, but have read their rules in discord when looking for a server). An unofficial server can make any rules they want for a game. They could have a rule that there is no game chat in discord. All chat must be done in person. No reason you couldn't play that way if you wanted to.

This is true. My question is more of a what if scenario though. How would mega tribes operate if you couldn't simply shoot the admins a message for a status update. How would people behave if they knew that someone couldn't call for help in global. That sort of thing. 

10 minutes ago, Logan96 said:

This is true. My question is more of a what if scenario though. How would mega tribes operate if you couldn't simply shoot the admins a message for a status update. How would people behave if they knew that someone couldn't call for help in global. That sort of thing. 

That's what im talking about. I true in game server experience on official would make things very interesting. Mega tribes and even small joint tribes would have to convene to a meeting place in game, or they could add the mailing system they were talking about a year ago. Just brainstorming.

1 hour ago, Logan96 said:

Ah, then I don't think  you are getting the point. Tribes use Discord because the in game chat system is so bad. Using something like discord has been going on in games for years. It is how the mega tribes operate. Nothing in game can stop people from working together to organize and dominate a game.

So really your question is kind of pointless. If there was no global chat, people would just use an external program to the game like Discord. Of course if you are just hoping for some kind of fantasy alternate reality where people only communicate in person in game, then go ahead, ponder that, but it would never actual be a real scenario.

16 hours ago, brenon45 said:

I actually would enjoy a more in person ark experience, it would feel a bit more role play which could be fun on official.

It would give the useless radio a actual purpose again finally.

I know some games have (on console) that blocks you from playing certain gamemodes if you are in a party chat.

Wouldnt mind a server with a plugin that detects chat party software like discord or others to make people play with in game chat only.

You can use discord from your phone.

26 minutes ago, covenantgrunt said:

You can use discord from your phone.

I know :( but so still the idea of ot is my point. 

I know radio was supposed to be something useful but with other chat systems like discord, party chat, game room, and all those other chat app that kinda just by pass the need for any in game chat half time.

Imagine if Ark had good text based chat systems that have existed in games like Everquest for a couple decades.

Private messages, offline/mail, friends and block/mute lists, multiple channels for various alliances. Chat tabs. Customizable size, transparency, location of chat window(s). Ability to have multiple chat windows. 

19 hours ago, Aylana314159 said:

Imagine if Ark had good text based chat systems that have existed in games like Everquest for a couple decades.

Private messages, offline/mail, friends and block/mute lists, multiple channels for various alliances. Chat tabs. Customizable size, transparency, location of chat window(s). Ability to have multiple chat windows. 

That would actually be really cool. Instead of taking a initiative to remove communication they focused on improving it, that way there would be no need for external tools.

21 hours ago, wildbill said:

Ah, then I don't think  you are getting the point. 

So really your question is kind of pointless. If there was no global chat, people would just use an external program to the game like Discord. Of course if you are just hoping for some kind of fantasy alternate reality where people only communicate in person in game, then go ahead, ponder that, but it would never actual be a real scenario.

:(

11 minutes ago, Logan96 said:

That would actually be really cool. Instead of taking a initiative to remove communication they focused on improving it, that way there would be no need for external tools.

Yeah. They could even include cross-cluster communication channels. Old school MOOs, had trade channels.

On 11/19/2019 at 7:56 AM, Logan96 said:

Yep, it's sort of a sad reality. Still, there is at least 2 more years of support for the game so you never know. Always room for improvement.

There are already ways that improve chat for the game. There are mods, but unfortunately the mods can't be used on all platforms and also some people just don't want to use mods.

The Pippi mod does a pretty good job of improving chat. One of the best ways I've seen to improve chat is to link it to a Discord channel. That way people not in game can also chat with people in game.

I doubt that WC will actually improve it much since there is already so many ways for you to chat external to the game, why should they just duplicate the effort? Really the best way for me is to use voice chat in Discord. That is hands free and doesn't impede game play, although I do sometimes quit the voice chat as it can be too distracting.

I have to admit I'm a bit confused about the actual topic of this thread. It seems to alternate between how to improve chat and communication in the game (which is something I would like to see) and limiting chat to only person to person in game interaction (something I would not like and don't think is actually feasible anyway).

I've played on servers where they limit chat to person to person (role playing servers). Eventually someone breaks the rules, causes all kinds of drama and gets banned. Hard to say, but that might just be all part of what it means to be on a role play server and all part of the "fun".

25 minutes ago, Aylana314159 said:

That's not an Ark mod.

Oops. I'm playing both Conan Exiles and ARK currently. I lost track of which game pippi was for ?

There are mods though that remove chat all together and link it to Discord. Those two were easy to find, there may or may not be one that improves it in game, I don't know. Seems like if there was a demand, someone would make the mod though. So many mods for ARK already, I'm sure more than for Conan.

Archived