PSA: ark will delete tames while unpodding

HiImZech

tried this during a lag spike (server is saving):

during a lag spike, if you're not in deep water, unpodding water tame will give you the message: "cannot deploy: " instead of "cannot deploy: not underwater" and the pod gets deleted along with the dino instead of returning to your inventory.

under normal circumstances this doesn't seem to happen. this is the same issue as doing inventory transfer during a lag spike. everything in between is not recorded (without you knowing of course) and therefore not accounted towards what is going on.

wc can attempt to prevent this from happening by doing a load after each save

• Volunteer Moderator
7 minutes ago, HiImZech said:

PSA: ark is deleting water tames while unpodding

if you're not in deep deep water, unpodding water tame will give you the message: "cannot deploy: " instead of "cannot deploy: not underwater" and the pod gets deleted along with the dino instead of returning to your inventory.

I actually haven't checked if going deeper will stop the enforcer from deleting your dino, but I'll advise to not unpod any water tames until wc confirmed its fixed.

What specie? What map? What coordinates? What platform? There is a lot of variables that can play a role into this. I attempted to reproduce it in the shallow water in front of 50/50 on the island with a Mosa, and was unable to.

15 minutes ago, invincibleqc said:

What specie? What map? What coordinates? What platform? There is a lot of variables that can play a role into this. I attempted to reproduce it in the shallow water in front of 50/50 on the island with a Mosa, and was unable to.

baby squid on the island

what was the error that showed up when you threw out the mosa?

are you on official server? I'm also trying to get a cheap throwaway to try

I threw a baby lightning wyvern out. it was fine

I tried with a random megalodon and it was fine. the error was fine as well.

I think it was the server lag spike that denied the dino from unloading and then deleting it.

it's a adolescent squid...I am pissed but not totally angry about it since it is still a baby and not the only one I'm raising. but it was the only male of its kind.

what makes matter worse is "there is no customer support on legacy" so I won't be getting anything back.

thanks for all the 1 sided love we gave to wc during early access.

• Volunteer Moderator
15 minutes ago, HiImZech said:

baby squid on the island

Tested again with a baby squid; unable to reproduce.

15 minutes ago, HiImZech said:

what was the error that showed up when you threw out the mosa?

"Not underwater"

16 minutes ago, HiImZech said:

are you on official server? I'm also trying to get a cheap throwaway to try

No, testing on one of my test server. Maybe you found a very specific air pocket or something. ?‍♂️

Just now, invincibleqc said:

Tested again with a baby squid; unable to reproduce.

"Not underwater"

No, testing on one of my test server. Maybe you found a very specific air pocket or something. ?‍♂️

read the edited posts. I seem to have found the cause. it was the bloody lag spike.

the map seems to be not updating during this spike and therefore didn't spawn the squid.

the pod not respawning into my inventory is another sign this is due to a spike.

ark's save mechanic really needs an overhaul. whoever has heard of players losing stuff because the liveservice is saving?

• Volunteer Moderator
39 minutes ago, HiImZech said:

I tried with a random megalodon and it was fine. the error was fine as well.

I think it was the server lag spike that denied the dino from unloading and then deleting it.

it's a adolescent squid...I am pissed but not totally angry about it since it is still a baby and not the only one I'm raising. but it was the only male of its kind.

This sounds like a very specific context that might prove hard to reproduce. You should fill a Bug Report and they might be able to track it down at a code level.

41 minutes ago, HiImZech said:

what makes matter worse is "there is no customer support on legacy" so I won't be getting anything back.

thanks for all the 1 sided love we gave to wc during early access.

I'm sorry, but I don't even feel sorry. ?

I was on legacy too, and the day they announced they were becoming legacy is the day I left everything behind. Well, not really. I stopped actively playing, but still kept timers refreshed to ensure nobody loot my stuff for about 2 months. Then I gave breeding lines away here on the forums, killed all my dinos, placed hundreds of c4 on my base, detonated, crashed the server and everything came back. I was too lazy to place the c4 again so I demoed all the support and it collapsed. I merged the remaining ruins with some friends so that they could claim the land (herbo island) and I never went back. I hosted my own cluster for over a year, and never regretted legacy. You made the choice to stick to it, a bit over 2 years ago, so it is kinda late to be disappointed by the conditions you you were fully aware of and must live with today, no? ?

Sorry (genuine this time), but that is how I personally feel about the legacy situation. Everyone should have made the move back then, the more they stick to it the more painful it will be at the next migration (which I believe should happens soon, since they will most likely need servers for Genesis).

27 minutes ago, HiImZech said:

the map seems to be not updating during this spike and therefore didn't spawn the squid.

the pod not respawning into my inventory is another sign this is due to a spike.

ark's save mechanic really needs an overhaul. whoever has heard of players losing stuff because the liveservice is saving?

I personally never heard of this happening. But as mentioned, this definitely sounds like a 1 in a million chance it happens...

15 minutes ago, invincibleqc said:

This sounds like a very specific context that might prove hard to reproduce. You should fill a Bug Report and they might be able to track it down at a code level.

I'm sorry, but I don't even feel sorry. ?

I was on legacy too, and the day they announced they were becoming legacy is the day I left everything behind. Well, not really. I stopped actively playing, but still kept timers refreshed to ensure nobody loot my stuff for about 2 months. Then I gave breeding lines away here on the forums, killed all my dinos, placed hundreds of c4 on my base, detonated, crashed the server and everything came back. I was too lazy to place the c4 again so I demoed all the support and it collapsed. I merged the remaining ruins with some friends so that they could claim the land (herbo island) and I never went back. I hosted my own cluster for over a year, and never regretted legacy. You made the choice to stick to it, a bit over 2 years ago, so it is kinda late to be disappointed by the conditions you you were fully aware of and must live with today, no? ?

Sorry (genuine this time), but that is how I personally feel about the legacy situation. Everyone should have made the move back then, the more they stick to it the more painful it will be at the next migration (which I believe should happens soon, since they will most likely need servers for Genesis).

I personally never heard of this happening. But as mentioned, this definitely sounds like a 1 in a million chance it happens...

its not the first time I heard someone talking about it already. its rare but not that rare.

I actually pity you. you're stuck in playing the game until wc shuts down while we here in legacy enjoys wide open spaces with a chance that our server gets decommissioned so we can move on hosting it on unofficial server. we also enjoys new players coming over because apparently the new servers are "pillared to the edges". I am very sure that's untrue but then again we have wide open spaces. tons of opportunities

no customer support not a big problem. back when there was customer support it is just as crappy as it is today (actually...back then it was 100x better because there's no genie45. I hate your ragnarok map too.)

so ya. totally not regretting staying. actually its the wiser choice to not move. I can get the players who has their dinos in my tribe to return and play unofficial with me.

I don't stash important dinos. I am pissed about it (which brings a total of 17 dinos being deleted by the server thus far) still being a thing.

6 hours ago, GrumpyBear said:

It’s not hard to reproduce.  Just find an old island server that lags for a good solid minute every server save,  you can time it to the transfer cool down timer.

you could try it on server island46.   The lag spike is sizeable and would be easy to try to lose the animal there.

Technically its not a lag spike. ? But out of sync during server save.

Archived