Stealing tribes

Aqua1antern

Stealing tribes

So a few days ago a player on our server (pve566) was offering to give away their base as they were leaving the server. My wife went to merge with them and was immediately killed and kicked from the tribe. Thus the player has stolen everything. Over a years worth of building, hoarding, and 3k worth of dinos. While trying to get it back, they started to throw the baby dinos out and proceeded to start killing them in front of her. Come to find out, they've done this to a few tribes on our server as well. Cryoing and taking all the dinos after they've highjacked the tribes. Is there anything that can be done?

Weve submitted a ticket, as well as the other tribes that were highjacked as well. Have photos of the conversations, the players gamertag, proof of tribe ownership, and them killing the babies and such. But the gms have yet to respond. I've figured that resetting to a sever save is pretty much out of the question. But I would like to have my base back, and the player addressed. As this is a violation of the CDC. 

The tribe is called <removed> on my server now, but that might simply be due to the large amount of cc dinos we had. As they changed it after highjacking out tribe. 

• Volunteer Moderator
3 minutes ago, Aqua1antern said:

Stealing tribes

So a few days ago a player on our server (pve566) was offering to give away their base as they were leaving the server. My wife went to merge with them and was immediately killed and kicked from the tribe. Thus the player has stolen everything. Over a years worth of building, hoarding, and 3k worth of dinos. While trying to get it back, they started to throw the baby dinos out and proceeded to start killing them in front of her. Come to find out, they've done this to a few tribes on our server as well. Cryoing and taking all the dinos after they've highjacked the tribes. Is there anything that can be done?

Weve submitted a ticket, as well as the other tribes that were highjacked as well. Have photos of the conversations, the players gamertag, proof of tribe ownership, and them killing the babies and such. But the gms have yet to respond. I've figured that resetting to a sever save is pretty much out of the question. But I would like to have my base back, and the player addressed. As this is a violation of the CDC. 

The tribe is called <removed> on my server now, but that might simply be due to the large amount of cc dinos we had. As they changed it after highjacking out tribe. 

First of all, I've removed the tribe name because we do not allow public naming and shaming on the forums and such information must only be provided privately to Wildcard through support tickets. That being said, while this is a very unfortunate situation, I don't think the GMs will be able to assist since this is not something covered by the CoC. When merging into a tribe, you must ensure you do not give your ownership away. They are the ones that should have merged with you, to you merging with them. By doing so, your Wife basically wilingfully gave everything owned by your tribe to them and as owner, they are free to do whatever they want. This doesn't mean GMs won't take action, though. I've seen them banning players that were not in direct violation of the rules just for generally be bad people causing more trouble than anything else so that is always a possibility but the chance you guys get back your stuff are unfortunately very slim imo. :(

• Volunteer Moderator
23 minutes ago, SMP said:

A good raid is fun but a good infiltration is better.  Kudos to the thief for understanding game mechanics and using them to their advantage.

I would normally agree, that such tactics are part of the game if this was actually done in a war environment. But as stated by the OP, this is on PvE. Infiltration strategies should be left to PvP, and phishing scams have no place on PvE.

3 hours ago, SMP said:

A good raid is fun but a good infiltration is better.  Kudos to the thief for understanding game mechanics and using them to their advantage.

Ive seen So many old tribes just disappear because people still dont understand the merging system... Its not like the game is a few years old with tons of youtube videos and wikis explaining how to do it... Oh wait.

There are so many people who are just casual ARK players, and don't ever even consider watching YouTube videos about ARK.

I have seen people quit the game because of getting screwed over like this in a PvE server.  Usually it is kids, who are used to "squading up" when playing Shooter games like BF or COD.

They look for the same type of team atmosphere here in ARK, not knowing better, or not suspecting that lowlife trolls actually do this kind of crap; they become a victim.

Hopefully it happens before they have much, so the lose isn't too great, and they learn from it.  But still it sucks they have to experience it at all.

I got lucky and saw it happen to people in chat early on, and realized that I will be always be a SOLO only player, unless I actually get a friend from IRL to play ARK.

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, Aqua1antern said:

Not be argumentative here, but how is posting a tribe name or any information on a tribe or player who is going out of their way to cheat casual players shaming? Why would the gms be more inclined to defend them and their actions than the players that they cheat?

It's generally to prevent he said/she said argument threads.

Not allowing posting player/tribe names eliminates that behavior.

On top of that, the only people that can actually do anything about bad behavior/CoC issues is the support staff.

Its true is not cheating or exploiting per say... Its just one person was knowledgeable and used it to his/her advantage. I can admit ive done it to small tribe who no one liked on my server because they were annoiying other tribes and griefing people taming and stuff to that degree so we agree'd that I would be friendly and merge them into my tribe... I wasnt a total (butt) to them so I gave all their stuff back including resources and dinos, but basically took there land and said leave the server (this was an official pve server), after they left a new tribe moved in to there spot who weren't trolls.

10 hours ago, invincibleqc said:

I would normally agree, that such tactics are part of the game if this was actually done in a war environment. But as stated by the OP, this is on PvE. Infiltration strategies should be left to PvP, and phishing scams have no place on PvE.

Opinion noted.  Unfortunately for the OP, definitions of PvE not covered by the CoC are subjective at best. 

Some folks see the "Free Candy" sign and just have to get in the van...

In the future, it's easy enough for them to just pod their animals and give you access to everything.  If you want their land, ally w/ them so you can put down pillars for when their stuff blanks.  It's a lot easier to wait for something and get it, than lose everything to not knowing how the game works.

yea, anytime anyone offers you their structures, invite them to your tribe, and have them merge with you.  If they do anything fishy at that point, you can kick them right off the bat from the tribe.

merging with someones tribe that says they are giving away their structures is someone trying to grief people and take their stuff.  Never merge with someone else when it comes to taking ownership always have them merge with you.

problem is many people playing the game don't understand how the tribe merging works, saying 'good job thief for using the game mechanics' isn't really a good job at all, its just taking advantage of someone elses lack of knowledge.  No good job about it, more to the point, more of a dodo bum.

19 hours ago, caleb68 said:

yea, anytime anyone offers you their structures, invite them to your tribe, and have them merge with you.

I would not even do that. Want to give me structures? Here is pinned storage box or vault. Want to give me your dinos? Bring them in pods. If you don't have pods or strong enough mount to carry your stuff here then you probably don't have anything I would be interested in anyways.

On 11/13/2019 at 12:05 AM, invincibleqc said:

First of all, I've removed the tribe name because we do not allow public naming and shaming on the forums and such information must only be provided privately to Wildcard through support tickets. That being said, while this is a very unfortunate situation, I don't think the GMs will be able to assist since this is not something covered by the CoC. When merging into a tribe, you must ensure you do not give your ownership away. They are the ones that should have merged with you, to you merging with them. By doing so, your Wife basically wilingfully gave everything owned by your tribe to them and as owner, they are free to do whatever they want. This doesn't mean GMs won't take action, though. I've seen them banning players that were not in direct violation of the rules just for generally be bad people causing more trouble than anything else so that is always a possibility but the chance you guys get back your stuff are unfortunately very slim imo. :(

If what you say is true then that is extremely alarming. This is something I would expect on unofficial servers not on Official ones where if you follow the rules you should be untouchable. I sincerely hope this is not the case because this has great implication if it is true.

On 11/12/2019 at 11:55 PM, Aqua1antern said:

Stealing tribes

This is legitimate play on their part. There is nothing in the rules that say you aren't allowed to outsmart and outplay your opponent. I see no rules that they have broken.

• Volunteer Moderator
17 minutes ago, ForzaProiettile said:

If what you say is true then that is extremely alarming. This is something I would expect on unofficial servers not on Official ones where if you follow the rules you should be untouchable. I sincerely hope this is not the case because this has great implication if it is true.

How is it alarming? Officials clusters are just like unofficials; except they are ran by Wildcard. Their rules, their calls. If they judge it is in the best interest of the community to have you removed from the official network then they will. If you are using phishing tactics in order to trick others and steal their stuff on PvE, and cause more harm than anything else to your fellow survivors in a game-mode where you should not have to worry about other players, then you deserve to be removed in my opinion. People tend to forget that everything listed in the CoC are examples, and that there are clear mentions of not being limited to them which means you can be punished for behaviours that are not explicitly mentioned if they judge it is necessary for the well-being of the other players. There are even multiple public cases where players got removed for being jerks, for example:

3 hours ago, invincibleqc said:

How is it alarming? Officials clusters are just like unofficials; except they are ran by Wildcard. Their rules, their calls. If they judge it is in the best interest of the community to have you removed from the official network then they will. If you are using phishing tactics in order to trick others and steal their stuff on PvE, and cause more harm than anything else to your fellow survivors in a game-mode where you should not have to worry about other players, then you deserve to be removed in my opinion. People tend to forget that everything listed in the CoC are examples, and that there are clear mentions of not being limited to them which means you can be punished for behaviours that are not explicitly mentioned if they judge it is necessary for the well-being of the other players. There are even multiple public cases where players got removed for being jerks, for example:

From reading through that Reddit thread it seems he was most likely banned for impersonating an admin which is against the T&C.

There is no law against being a jerk/griefer/troll/strategist/toxic player that I know of. If there was half of the PVP players in this game, myself included would be banned.

It is a truly ridiculous idea that someone could be banned based on some vague and impossible to define parameter. That's best left to the realm of Unofficial servers, whose admins fulfil that function very well.

• Volunteer Moderator
1 hour ago, ForzaProiettile said:

From reading through that Reddit thread it seems he was most likely banned for impersonating an admin which is against the T&C.

It was mentioned in TRH's post that he made the call to ban them for being "massive jerks" on PvE.

There is no law against being a jerk/griefer/troll/strategist/toxic player that I know of. If there was half of the PVP players in this game, myself included would be banned.

Which is fair game in PvP. Insiding, trojan horses, politics, etc. are all part of that game-mode. Though, as stated multiple times throughout this thread, this is on PvE. On PvE, your game should not be impacted by the actions of other players. Phishing to steal players stuff and tribes is directly affecting other players meaning that yes, I can certainly see them being removed within reasons.

It is a truly ridiculous idea that someone could be banned based on some vague and impossible to define parameter. That's best left to the realm of Unofficial servers, whose admins fulfil that function very well.

What you call "vague and impossible to define parameter" can be translated in two words; common sense. If you play PvP on a PvE server, then you deserve to be removed and you should not be surprised if this happens.

Archived