Region lock

Antideamon

10 hours ago, FreeEnergyDrink said:

Chat messages are fine, but Character names/Tribe names could be limited to Latin characters. That would allow an easier way to find their Steam IDs and report.

Just recently i found a built over charge station on Abe, its built by a [][][] tribe, and i saw are player from that tribe, but his char name is also [][][] and steam name is 123. At that moment steam showed 5 players currently playing in the server with the name "123". So what could i do? Nothing...

Just send a report with z y and z coordinates and screenshots and enforcement team will handle it. They dont need names for these kinda actions.

On 11/13/2019 at 1:27 PM, Zapha said:

The real problem without region lock is the global chat, which is usually very important for a healthy MMOG. If most of the chat text is unreadable on NA/EU servers for US/EU players, then there is no healthy MMOG.

Yes the chat, not the griefing/stealing/pillaring in pve, and meshing/using alt acc bases in pvp

My native language is Czech which uses plenty of special characters with diacritics. My surname contains 3 of them I can write it here Štědronský and it is highly probable you can read it in this forum without problems - the same way as I see Russian cyrilic русский алфавит and Chineese characters 汉语. Why is it possible? Because we live in the world where Unicode standard lives for years. And you browser and your operating system can handle this.

Unfortunately ARK was not designed for international use in mind (as many of US companies do... I see you Amazon!). Global Font is solution. Personally I do not use it but many younger players prefers UI translated and possibility to name anything with native language which is perfectly understandable.

So I find offensive automatically presume anybody using non English characters is cheater or bad person with evil intentions.

Limiting player and tribe names to ASCII could work but it is only workaround not a real solution.

Posing as a foreign player is a great strategy, especially when you're incognito on your home server. Folks are so wound up about the chinese and block names, they never suspect the English-speaker from down the road is actually the one who smashed their base and took all their loot.

Thumbs up to this thread for making that a little easier.

1 hour ago, SMP said:

Posing as a foreign player is a great strategy, especially when you're incognito on your home server. Folks are so wound up about the chinese and block names, they never suspect the English-speaker from down the road is actually the one who smashed their base and took all their loot.

Thumbs up to this thread for making that a little easier.

Hehe indeed. I've used that trick many times and it never fails to work. It's even better if you create a fictitious foreign sounding tribe and then use it to stir up hatred against a real but peaceful foreign tribe and then sit back and watch the fireworks as people conclude they must be working together.

Archived