Question about rates and difficulty?

YamiJustin

Question about rates and difficulty?

I mostly played this game during 2015-2016, and on-and-off the last two years. I particularly remember how tough it was. You couldn't gather much, getting metal tools was a huge advancement, and you leveled a half the rate you do now, so it wasn't like you could just skip engram tiers like thatch (because wood was right around the corner).

In your opinion does having the current rates decrease the difficulty, or does it remain relatively the same?

I ask because on my server I am torn on whether to go back to the old rates for EXP and harvesting. Taming at the current 1x rate is good enough for me, but I do feel like with the EXP being doubled since the end of 2016, you end up skipping a lot of stuff because better stuff was nearby. Harvesting is the one I'm undecided on. I remember in old Ark it was a pain simply to feed yourself lol.. now you don't have that issue, and you gather a ton of fiber without a sickle.

You could always adjust the rates for player and dino exp/harvesting separately. So it's still a pain to gather on foot, but once you get dinos life is way easier anyway. Grinding isn't exactly a measure of difficulty imo and once you hit the upper tiers when you need mass quantities of stuff to get anywhere, you'll be regretting keeping your settings low. Exp is somewhat negligible these days since Explorer Notes are a thing, but I agree that even on the current default you'll progress quite fast if you have even a little bit of game experience. 

Also a big part of the difficulty curve back then was that no one knew what they were doing yet (and most stuff wasn't in the game either), so a lot of your memories might be nostalgia too. I remember those days well and I can say I don't miss them lol. There's so much to do that beach bobbing it on the coast is only a small part of the game now when we've got 4 official and 3 DLC maps to progress through. The Island was the whole world back then and it hasn't been for a long time.

This was my main critique in the survey, that xp seems backward. You blast past two tiers of building materials, lucky to even need a small shed, then bog down to mowing a mountain a dozen times in a row per week. I love what modern gamers call "grind" but this is bass ackward. It's like how vertical progression games obviate previous content, wasting tons of development.

Archived