Be able to place & snap water and electrical into walls, ceiling and foundations

Lowly

Suggestion

Be able to place & snap water and electrical into walls, ceiling and foundations

This has been suggested many times before but not in this format.

Give a structure(wall, ceiling, foundation, sloped ceiling) 2 item slots. 

1 for electrical cables

1 for water pipes

If you place a horizontal then they snap inside half way up, if you place a veritcle it snaps in the center, cross pieces like wise can be placed inside and automatically comply with the plain of the structure so auto rotate for walls and sloped ceilings.

This also gets around the issue of verticles not being the same hight as walls as they become effectively invisible

Add 8n a small rework to generators to allow them to snap to the center of a foundation or ceiling that has an electrical cable inside it

Could also add new snap points for taps and electrical outlets in the middle of the structure too

With flexible cables and pipes being in vanilla ark, I think this would be a massive improvement

4 replies to this server topic

• snap a wooden pillar to a foundation at the edge of the structure you want to lay cable/pipe in
  • place down a thatch foundation next to this pillar outside of the structure.  Make sure it snaps lower than your base foundation.
  • lay a pipe/cable on the thatch foundation.  You can use a ladder to line it up.
  • snap a pipe/cable to the first going into your base.  You will not be able to see where it is being placed because it will be inside of the foundation
  • destroy/pick up the wooden pillar, thatch foundation, and first cable/pipe

You can now lay a network of pipes or cables that will be invisible inside of the floor.  You could also just put your genny on the 2nd level of your base and the cables will automatically hide themselves inside the ceiling tiles.

16 minutes ago, Spiral3 said:
  • snap a wooden pillar to a foundation at the edge of the structure you want to lay cable/pipe in
  • place down a thatch foundation next to this pillar outside of the structure.  Make sure it snaps lower than your base foundation.
  • lay a pipe/cable on the thatch foundation.  You can use a ladder to line it up.
  • snap a pipe/cable to the first going into your base.  You will not be able to see where it is being placed because it will be inside of the foundation
  • destroy/pick up the wooden pillar, thatch foundation, and first cable/pipe

You can now lay a network of pipes or cables that will be invisible inside of the floor.  You could also just put your genny on the 2nd level of your base and the cables will automatically hide themselves inside the ceiling tiles.

thanks for the reply, what i was suggesting was a way of the game handling the cables inside the structures to reduce the structure count, this reduces server and client load as the cables would not be separate entities so would improve loading times, also we have the issue with your method that a vertical electrical cable or water pipe is not the same height as a single wall which my suggestion overcomes by making the wall act as a powered or watered item, we also still have the issue that sloped electrical and water do not follow the same slope as sloped ceilings or roofs, id love to hear back from you to see if you understand more  clearly the point im trying to get at as that helps me know if others reading this post also understand what i mean

10 minutes ago, Spiral3 said:

Ok, I think I see what you're getting at, yeah.  It would definitely decrease load times and you wouldn't have to hide verticle cables inside of pillars.  Also the flexible cables are a huge help with making sure your network links up but they're really ugly so I definitely wouldn't mind seeing an alternative.

I'm aware that one of the mods lets you run cables and water in the walls but as a console and official player, I'll never see that in practice :(

Archived