Linux / Mac Patch Issues

Kinte

On 11/17/2019 at 5:51 PM, Luewen said:

Exactly. So cant compare them for not having all clients updated at same time.

Why should I care what platform/engine WC chooses?

They chose the game and the platform. They advertised support for them.

You're projecting that I care, and that I should care. It doesn't matter what engine they choose, they have failed to deliver. End of story.

My point still stands.

This is about them not adhering to proper business and development practices, which are platform agnostic.

It's the time and resources they choose to devote their efforts towards.

Some companies have it figured out. Companies that are related in the video game industry. I never mentioned engines. You did.

The fact that different studios chose different engines is unrelated. Too bad for WC if they chose something they couldn't support, why should I have to deal with that?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/19/2019 at 10:31 PM, glassman2u said:

Why should I care what platform/engine WC chooses?

They chose the game and the platform. They advertised support for them.

You're projecting that I care, and that I should care. It doesn't matter what engine they choose, they have failed to deliver. End of story.

My point still stands.

This is about them not adhering to proper business and development practices, which are platform agnostic.

It's the time and resources they choose to devote their efforts towards.

Some companies have it figured out. Companies that are related in the video game industry. I never mentioned engines. You did.

The fact that different studios chose different engines is unrelated. Too bad for WC if they chose something they couldn't support, why should I have to deal with that?

Yes and you compared 2 different companies with 2 different games. And engine used dictates heavily how the patching process of different clients goes. So by comparing them you talked about the engines used. 

@Luewen you don't seem to understand the issue. there are no certification checks that have to go through linux that windows does not also have. engines are irrelevant when talking about scheduling, unless the 2 versions run on different engines. the point that is being made by that comparison is that one company got their act together and the other didn't, so don't try to hijack the argument.

Edit: and don't try the whole clientside thing as well. the clients both run through the same servers, therefore the have to be released at the same time. if they aren't, people lose everything due to auto decay

18 hours ago, solix414 said:

@Luewen you don't seem to understand the issue. there are no certification checks that have to go through linux that windows does not also have. engines are irrelevant when talking about scheduling, unless the 2 versions run on different engines. the point that is being made by that comparison is that one company got their act together and the other didn't, so don't try to hijack the argument.

Edit: and don't try the whole clientside thing as well. the clients both run through the same servers, therefore the have to be released at the same time. if they aren't, people lose everything due to auto decay

But you have no idea if the reason is scheduling or something else. And clients run through same servers but are still different programming wise on each os. 

On 11/22/2019 at 9:44 AM, Luewen said:

But you have no idea if the reason is scheduling or something else. And clients run through same servers but are still different programming wise on each os. 

however, as both are dependent on the same servers, if one us updated without the other it breaks the game for the platform which isn't updated. therefore, it is required that both update at the same time unless wildcard wishes to piss off the entire linux/mac playerbase. ideally, there would be different servers for each and use the crossark system like is done for ps4 and xbone

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2019 at 4:44 PM, Luewen said:

We don't care about the scheduling or whatever else. That's not our concern. I don't care what WC chooses to do with their business as much as I don't care about TFP and their "scheduling"; when they market one thing and don't deliver, we're calling them out on it.

Case in point: Look at what happened with Rust

Facepunch couldn't deliver and they cut ties.

Other companies that can support multiple platforms, can and do so successfully.

Others can't. That's not my problem.

You can trot out this strawman engine argument all you want, but we're going to continue to call WC out when they pull these stunts.

I would gladly reward WC with equal praise if this gets rectified, so don't think I'm bitter for the sake of being so. I'm hoping the "cutting-corners" trend will stop.

Make quality software - even if it means making hard decisions.

Mac/Linux Patch 303

A new major version has rolled out. Historically, a major versions means that Mac/Linux users probably won't be able to play for a couple of weeks. As we know, complaining here is completely pointless. If you are affected by this, I suggest doing a ticket. At least Wildcard looks at tickets and am hopeful that if enough people submit one, Wildcard may decide to implement a better process for rolling out updates. 

https://support.survivetheark.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

And yet again…

Steam *updating* my mac client today. It actually downgraded to 300.0 and Mac (and probably Linux?) users are locked out of official servers again.

If a company claims support for a platform AND the server version they use requires a matching client AND that client isn't available for the given platform, they could either –

–  not update the server until the clients for all supported platforms are ready, or –

– admit that they dropped support the given platform and stop selling the game for that platform.

Everything else is not just bad behaviour, but outright FRAUD.

Good thing is I can now proceed in my Singleplayer game which was broken in 301.X because of a Cryopod bug they never managed to fix… :)

• Joebl0w13 changed the title to Linux / Mac Patch Issues
  • Joebl0w13 locked and unlocked this topic

Linux Community Requesting Communication

Short and sweet and then I can fall into the post graveyard. Am I supposed to reinstall and when? Ubuntu 18 Mainline Linux. Steam update gives me patch version 300.0. No solo, no official, no unofficial. Base game + explorers edition.

Update: Last reinstall solo seems to be loading but I dont play solo.

Do a ticket so Wildcard gets the message. 

https://support.survivetheark.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

The Linux and Mac clients have been continuously been broken over the past few months. Major updates usually precede the Linux client by about 2 weeks, so every major update means no ark for you for a couple of weeks. If you're on official servers then all your stuff will auto-decay unless you are in a decent tribe, in which case you'll probably get booted out for inactivity. If you just bought Ark expecting you could play it on Linux then a refund is your best option. Otherwise, sit tight and wait.

Greetings,

Thank you for contacting Studio Wildcard Customer Support. I am Wildcard GM Argos. We are sorry to hear that you are having an issue with the game.

ARK: Survival Evolved update is not currently available on Windows 10, OSX, and Linux platforms. We would suggest that you keep your eyes on our future community crunch herefor an update on this matter.

Should you have further questions or concerns in regards to different matter, please do not hesitate to contact us again. Thank you for your continued support of ARK: Survival Evolved. Have a wonderful day.

Sincerely,

Senior GM Argos
Studio Wildcard
http://www.studiowildcard.com

Security Tip: Please do not give your password to anyone for any reason. Studio Wildcard will NEVER ask you for your password.

Note: If your ticket status is pending (you have not responded to us) for over 5 days, it will automatically be set to solved. If this is not the case, feel free to respond to the ticket and it will open it back up. This process is automated and not done by the GM.

Ark: Genesis Season Pass is now available. Find out more about Genesis via http://playark.com/genesis/

i answered:

eh 
its going to be a week since i cant play on any server... 
and it happens on every update - you update servers and windows client and im waiting weeks to play on linux.. cant you just update all platform at once? :/

GM ArgosYesterday at 19:20

Sadly, we do not know when the developer will release an update for other operating system. Again, we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Sincerely,

Senior GM Argos
Studio Wildcard
http://www.studiowildcard.com

Security Tip: Please do not give your password to anyone for any reason. Studio Wildcard will NEVER ask you for your password.

Note: If your ticket status is pending (you have not responded to us) for over 5 days, it will automatically be set to solved. If this is not the case, feel free to respond to the ticket and it will open it back up. This process is automated and not done by the GM.

Ark: Genesis Season Pass is now available. Find out more about Genesis via http://playark.com/genesis/

this sucks.

i answered:

hey, but on steam is information that linux is supported.. so i expect i can play ... but i cant play on ANY server. 
im not alone https://survivetheark.com/index.php?/forums/topic/481794-linux-mac-patch-issues/&page=4&tab=comment <- check. there are more people, and we have problem every time when you upgrade servers and windows client then mac and linux users cant play on ANY server. if you cant just wait with the upgrading till all game clients are ready to just simple give possibility to play to ALL players maybe consider give money back to linux and mac users?

guys. please send them message too to show that problem is serious https://support.survivetheark.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

I responded with:

"Unfortunately, running another operating system is not viable at this time.

Will there be an update to Linux/Mac in the foreseeable future?

Is the Linux/Mac client still being supported?

I understand it may not be a priority, but if it's marketed and sold as such, it should be regularly in sync with the rest of the clients."

Archived