Linux / Mac Patch Issues

Kinte

Again? When we will get linux 301 client

Yesterday 301.0 has been released. When I can play too on my linux system?  

I understand my client is lacking some graphics features, but I EXPECT and DEMAND to receive regular updates on the same basis as Windows friends.

For the case you think you screw up the game for few linux freaks:
I can tell you my friends are waiting for me for bigger actions in-game,  so you effectively breaking game for them, too, regardless of the OS they happen to use on their PC.

So please stop with this bad practice and treat linux customers the same way as others.
Bought the game very early. I own all DLCs you released, all season passes. I deserve the same amount of  care as other supporters.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Jarek said:

For me its the same.

Last time when version 299 was released for windows I had to wait for version 300 to play again on linux

it's not fair and makes no sense.

Wildcard fix your Game and treat all players the same

It would be nice indeed. But linux client users are extremely minority so its not priority 1 system.

Why ARK Linux/Mac Clients Get Updates Later?

Why Linux or Mac clients get updates later than Windows?

It's officially supported on these platforms too. I paid for the game and can't play on official ARK servers because update isn't released yet. Even can't play with my friends with non dedicated sessions.

Can somebody please explain?!

Yes @wildcard whoever is in charge of when you roll patches, 

You need to end this practice of releasing Mac/Linux patches days or weeks after Windows. The update to patch 300 took more than two weeks. Anyone playing on an official server would have lost everything due to auto decay. Not to mention people who have things in Ark data. 

Today, less than a month after being locked out of the game for two weeks, it's happened again.

This game is unplayable for Mac/Linux people.

@ ANYONE CONSIDERING PURCHASING ARK FOR MAC/LINUX, Don't buy it. If you have, exit the game immediately and get a refund ASAP. Wildcard sells to Mac/Linux but does not support it well enough for you to invest your time in the game. 

4 hours ago, phos said:

yes,  we linux user  know that we are a minority. But we bought the game because wildcard promised us Linux support.
  But I got it now, I was stupid enough to buy the last season pass. You do not want satisfied customers, you just want our money.

They promised support yes but didnt promise it will be same time as other clients. Linux/mac is minority of users so its not first priority. Thats something that just needs to get used to.

1 hour ago, whoareyou said:

No. I don't accept that. I'm not going to say it's fine and something i'll 'get used to'. BECAUSE IT'S NOT FINE. 

It is literally game breaking for Mac/Linux players and it's clearly very avoidable with just a small amount of planning. 

some things u just need to accept...I literally was going to buy the switch version... but I did alittle research and found out how the game was run on that version . I played xbox aswell the update/maps always released after pc its just what xbox users need to do.

2 hours ago, DaronFox said:

Shame on you, Wildcard ...
stop updating windows client when you can't update linux client too. FU, i cant play on any servers again!

shame on u for buying Linux ….its not wc fault ur machine isn't as compatible as windows client its urs.

I can accept the reality of the situation, but I won't suck it up and let it go without ranting on this forum LOL

Feedback is important. Wildcard need to know that people are getting pissed off about it. Whether or not posting here changes anything is out of my hands, of course, but something needs to be said. 

Also, nobody buys Linux, and it definitely is Wildcards problem that they release Windows patches before Mac/Linux. 

Just so you actually understand the problem clearly.

Linux/Mac/PC all share the same servers. When Wildcard upgraded the servers to 300, Linux/Mac users did not get a patch update for over 2 weeks. This means they could not log in to their server because the Linux/Mac client was still on 297 (iirc). The problem is not 'we don't have the latest version reee', the problem is WE CAN'T LOG IN TO ANY SERVERS OR PLAY THE GAME. 

Over two weeks without being able to log in = everything auto-decays. Your whole base and all your dinos are gone. 

If Wildcard released the Linux/Mac client updates at the same time as upgrading the servers, then this would not be a problem. 

Well the issue is that as Linux people we are also somewhat likely to be hosting some of the servers for ARK... And if we cannot access the stuff we host why host it at all. 

The blunder with the 301 was from the beginning, even the server binary was not OK, it required a library that they did not ship with it(you could either get the library yourself or the next patch removed the dependency).

Now the client did not get built/uploaded? Come on, you can build server and client at the same time with one command... My CI can do it for you as it does for all my UE4 projects... and run some automated tests while it is at it... like checking if landscape has textures.... 

I have to agree with @whoareyou and @aknarts  You shouldn't sell it for linux if you can't support it.  I also have had alot of issues since i run linux servers for my community. luckily i have a wine version of the window's client i can run in a pinch with battleeye disabled, but you can't play official like that so i wouldn't suggest it.

8 hours ago, Kaprosuchus said:

I have to agree with @whoareyou and @aknarts  You shouldn't sell it for linux if you can't support it.  I also have had alot of issues since i run linux servers for my community. luckily i have a wine version of the window's client i can run in a pinch with battleeye disabled, but you can't play official like that so i wouldn't suggest it.

Its not as they dont support it. Its just not priority when majority of player base are on windows. You need 2 different branches to support both as windows and linux(unix) API are not compatible from get go. So priorities need to be made. Sure if they had more developers that might be done on tandem. Its not as easy as flip some switches here. And if something goes wrong on porting the patch these is less ppl to look at it. And having support does not mean it will be patched exactly same time as majority clients. 

Consoles dont get patches at same time either as windows. But thats due certification process that they have no influence.

It's very very simple: 

PC is and has always been the industry standard with the exception of the Unix hierarchy which was predominant in the 70s/80s for most major universities and the military.  Because of this, priority is always going to be focused on the more accessed and accepted operating systems before anything is done to the other platforms.  Not to mention that cross platform software development is a huge pain in the back side and just simply takes time and a specific skill set to achieve efficiency at.  I'm pretty sure Wildcard isn't sitting there going, "Hey, let's make these nerds running Linux gaming rigs suffer lawlz!"  

It's very very simple:

Wildcard needs to support all the platforms they sell to. If this means delaying new major versions by a few days or a week until patches are available for all platforms, so be it. 

I honestly can't believe you people are defending Wildcard on this one. Whats your point about Windows? I think it's hardly relevant. Wildcard sell a defective Linux/Mac product to Linux/Mac users so your comment about Windows being some kind of standard is hardly relevant. I totally understand the commercial realities though, so if Wildcard can't justify additional resources to fix this issue then they should end support. Easy. Instead they drag us on, give us access for two weeks before breaking it again. Do you understand my frustration? 

but yeah sure whatever, linux is second class and we should sit in the corner and eat whatever crumbs get thrown at us (despite paying for a seat at the table). 

14 hours ago, Lycan187u said:

some things u just need to accept...I literally was going to buy the switch version... but I did alittle research and found out how the game was run on that version . I played xbox aswell the update/maps always released after pc its just what xbox users need to do.

shame on u for buying Linux ….its not wc fault ur machine isn't as compatible as windows client its urs.

well, i checked on steam store if game is compatible for linux.. and guess.. there is information that ark survival is available for linux so i bought the game. And what now? now i cant play on ANY SERVER cuz WC sent update to servers and windows client but no for linux.

I SAW information that game will work on linux on store so i demand that is true. Shame on WC, unprofessional company ...

• Joebl0w13 changed the title to Linux / Mac Patch Issues
  • Joebl0w13 locked and unlocked this topic

Archived