What do you miss most about old Ark?

YamiJustin

On 11/8/2019 at 11:48 PM, YamiJustin said:

What do you miss most about old Ark?

Sometimes you take month or year breaks from this game and come back to a big change, missing the old.

For me:

The slow grind. I know it's not for most people but having to go from a crawl made me appreciate the higher tier tools and dinos. Getting to level 20 for the metal tools was game-changing.

I started back when it was first released. I miss the new dino releases on almost a monthly basis. Also there was more of a community on servers with tension and occasional big wars. Now it's just alphas wiping everything and everyone 

The immersive, survival game experience. Back in day there was no map markers that showed you where you were. And no gamma 5 so night time was truly dark and scary. I would use the sun to navigate until I could make a compass. When dusk approached I would hide out in an abandoned base. The abandoned base was my shelter as a bob living off the land. 

The first time I joined the tribe, our base was all stone. Our "alpha" had a metal base with some argies. They were proud of their single level 190 spino which they swore would protect us. We lived in the south 1 metal mountain area. There were 3 tribes that called this zone home. We would sometime get pirates driving boats up the river. The real alpha was a mysterious Chinese tribe that lived on the Volcano. Their massive metal fortress inspired awe and we had many theories about them. The Island felt like a massive world. Just in the map square alone we lived we had several tribes. When one of our neighbors packe up and went away to live with another tribe in the east coast, it felt like they were gone for good and people missed now.

I miss this old ARK, when the game world seemed like a highly immersive, dangerous, massive sandbox with sense of exploration and mystery.

On 11/17/2019 at 3:37 AM, singalty said:

Even with Tek, the Island, Rag and Center were still mostly "about the dinos"

My feeling is that since Snail Games acquisition of Wildcard not a single new actual Dino has been released on storyline maps.

The emphasis feels, sorry, quite urban Chinese with strong emphasis on artificial and fantasy stuff dominating Trikes and Rexes. The latest kibble update pretty much as said 75% of all dinos are useless crap now.. if you are on official PVP there is no way for tribes to keep a server without that extinction rubbish. Cryopods were badly needed but we didnt need a whole new map to release them. I can't believe that the delay in Managarmr re-balancing (almost two months wait) was nothing less that a cheap "pay-to-win" money grab hard-penalizing any tribe not on Extinction ("oops yeah sorry we'll get to that..." lol). The game is totally imbalanced now, with each new DLC surpassing all previous maps, and penalizing any official PVP tribes not buying in.

Basically they took a game that I really liked and destroyed it with Titans, Meks and Rock Drakes, that the game needed like a hole in the head.

So yeah, I miss the actual *Dino Game* thanks.

I have noticed that as well. This game now seems to be catering towards a younger audience that want flashy toys. The Meks and the Titans look absolutely ridiculous and don't fit within the parameters of the game. They didn't need to add anything bigger then a Rex. Rex's and Spinos were balanced, they were strong but not invincible.

The game has gone from the Rex/Spino being the top creature with 25k health, to Titans having 500k. That is a huuuge leap and in the process very little else has been balanced to accommodate these changes. Also as you point out the kibble changes while good on the one hand also have the effect of making dinos that no one ever used but tamed because they needed their eggs ie Demetrodons now completely worthless. The cryo-fridge also makes hoarding huge amounts of dinos very easy since there is effectively zero upkeep.

18 minutes ago, ForzaProiettile said:

I have noticed that as well. This game now seems to be catering towards a younger audience that want flashy toys. The Meks and the Titans look absolutely ridiculous and don't fit within the parameters of the game. They didn't need to add anything bigger then a Rex. Rex's and Spinos were balanced, they were strong but not invincible.

The game has gone from the Rex/Spino being the top creature with 25k health, to Titans having 500k. That is a huuuge leap and in the process very little else has been balanced to accommodate these changes. Also as you point out the kibble changes while good on the one hand also have the effect of making dinos that no one ever used but tamed because they needed their eggs ie Demetrodons now completely worthless. The cryo-fridge also makes hoarding huge amounts of dinos very easy since there is effectively zero upkeep.

i agree but im kinda ok with it on the other maps!

i mixing stuff up! heck some dinos sound real like the morellatops and velloasaurs 

but i wished they added more Dinos with special abilities!   

and some Nice TLCs would be Nice!

but about the Meks and stuff to me it makes sense! i mean there are Giant Floating towers and Artifacts that summon dragons and other stuff! so to me it makes sense!  

This game really needs to work on lag issues and controlling how much people can build. Back in day there weren't pillars everywhere blocking 90% of map by 1 alpha tribe, it was build in any open spot you can find. Now i try to go to a new server and see endless open area to build, grow and conquer. But then you look closer and pillars, pillars and more pillars. I know many are upset it went from prehistoric to tek but anyone who knows lore knows it was always based in future and tek, dinos were just a filler. Also id love for wildcard to actually respond to problem tickets. Ive sent over 75 tickets in 4yrs and never got 1 response back. That is most disappointing thing in game. If its broke because of development issues replace things lost, simple.

things i miss

. old style pvp

. speedy fliers

. old volcanoe

. when tek was not the highlight of the game

. when u had to actually work hard to be good at game

. more of the community was nice and less toxic

. wildcard was a decent game dev company

. old style look of ar

. old creature noises

. no gigas, titanos, titans 

I'm new in game but curious about old things.

Did dinos had "lgtb" ish colors  or were more natural in those times?

Nowadays all dinos are literate as they know exactly what is your propriety  to damage it in case you were escaped.

I wonder how come as ark  didn't invented paper jet.

i mean you can craft toilet but to use it you need to use something  a lot older than paper, something archaic like element.

On 11/21/2019 at 2:42 AM, ForzaProiettile said:

I have noticed that as well. This game now seems to be catering towards a younger audience that want flashy toys.

Then they misjudge younger audiences.

There are literally dozens of TEK-MEK video games that all look the same to me.

What younger audience always rave on is what's cool and DIFFERENT.

Ark WAS different, but now it's trying to be the same - and it's rubbish.

Kids literally LOVE dinosaurs and always will. This WAS Ark's bread-and-butter audience.

Besides, every kid I knew that left game left for good did it for the same exact reason: too many bugs - not "No MEKs duh this sucks".

IMHO we need a lot more TLC action. Underwater PVE is a joke - these creatures literally eat nothing except survivors and tames. The Bronto walks like it's legs are still broken in three places. We still have logistical errors e.g. Doed AOE is nothing like the Ank (just ...why....??). I would also suggest Deeper and more complex behavior from tames possibly even unique personalities - stuff like this.

Wrap it up as a real Ark 2.0 game with proper old-school FREE beta period to fix the bugs and you will have a game kids want to buy. Seriously.

This is ARK, not TITANFALL.

Archived