What do you miss most about old Ark?

YamiJustin

What do you miss most about old Ark?

Sometimes you take month or year breaks from this game and come back to a big change, missing the old.

For me:

The slow grind. I know it's not for most people but having to go from a crawl made me appreciate the higher tier tools and dinos. Getting to level 20 for the metal tools was game-changing.

The excitement surrounding patch day (ok sometimes it was patch week). Checking YT constantly because you knew once the trailer dropped, they were getting ready to roll the patch out. So we'd get the trailer, get mega hype, and then as soon as the patch dropped it was a race to update and get in the game to go check out the new stuff. 

Pros of ARK 2015/Early 2016:

• 70/70 servers every night.
  • Lots of small tribes everywhere.
  • Lots of players to kill.
  • Lots of PVP in general.
  • No TEK nonsense. Flyers were still weak.
  • No Gigas/Wyverns/Manas/Quetzals/Titans/Other stupid unbalanced crap.
  • Blueprint stats hadn't gone out of control.
  • Breeding didn't exist.
  • No xray vision Parasaurs/Snow Owls.
  • Most bases were wood, metal was actually hard to farm and a metal base actually meant something.
  • Resources in general were much harder to obtain/farm. Now a days there is mass inflation since most stuff is worth nothing due to how easy it is to obtain..
  • No big alliances
  • Not many big tribes
  • Meshing wasn't really a thing yet
  • A player on foot had a reasonable chance to kill a tamed dino with melee / regular arrows.

Cons:

• Aimbots and ESP were more common and blatant
  • Game was less stable.

I remember way back when ARK came to the PS4.

Back then I had to walk 9 miles to and 10 miles back, just to turn on my PS4. In 3 feet of snow!

The only source of power was to ride a stationary bicycle, and we only had AOL dial up 56K internet.

Of course, that didn't matter, as we were just excited to be playing a dinosaur game, as we huddled together in front of the TV, mostly for warmth, but also because we only had a 12" screen B & W television.

Oh man, I mess those good old days!  Dang Millennials ruin everything!

On 11/9/2019 at 8:53 AM, singalty said:

What do I miss? That official used to actually be a *Dino* game. Since Extinction Ark has become more of a Tek game with emphasis on crafting and BP from extinction...

Haha.. dino game... with TEK drops from heaven, TEK implant in hand, and after die reborn. It was SCI-FI game from the early beginning.

On 11/12/2019 at 6:56 AM, slejo said:

Haha.. dino game... with TEK drops from heaven, TEK implant in hand, and after die reborn. It was SCI-FI game from the early beginning.

Even with Tek, the Island, Rag and Center were still mostly "about the dinos"

My feeling is that since Snail Games acquisition of Wildcard not a single new actual Dino has been released on storyline maps.

The emphasis feels, sorry, quite urban Chinese with strong emphasis on artificial and fantasy stuff dominating Trikes and Rexes. The latest kibble update pretty much as said 75% of all dinos are useless crap now.. if you are on official PVP there is no way for tribes to keep a server without that extinction rubbish. Cryopods were badly needed but we didnt need a whole new map to release them. I can't believe that the delay in Managarmr re-balancing (almost two months wait) was nothing less that a cheap "pay-to-win" money grab hard-penalizing any tribe not on Extinction ("oops yeah sorry we'll get to that..." lol). The game is totally imbalanced now, with each new DLC surpassing all previous maps, and penalizing any official PVP tribes not buying in.

Basically they took a game that I really liked and destroyed it with Titans, Meks and Rock Drakes, that the game needed like a hole in the head.

So yeah, I miss the actual *Dino Game* thanks.

On 11/11/2019 at 1:56 PM, slejo said:

It was a Dino game with some tek

Now it’s a Tek game with some dinos 

There is a difference 

With that said I don’t miss much. No server transfers meant alphas could bully you and you couldn’t flee and return to strike back so you were stuck.

And the things I dislike the most of back then are still in game ie meshing and duping 

Archived