YamiJustin

So does Classic Flyers really make the game unbalanced?

On 11/8/2019 at 1:17 AM, ForzaProiettile said:

Well surely on a PVE server it would be very unbalanced since it would effectively be removing the PVE side from the game. As PVE is all about fighting wild dinos instead of players, these wild dinos now would no longer be a real threat to your tanky fighter jet that comes with nuclear claws.

I am very surprised to hear that all these years later, there are still folks out there that hate the idea of the game being balanced and actively want to play in a deliberately unbalanced game.

You might as well go ahead and enable god mode too while your at it..

Not sure what alternate universe you live in, I would guess about 1/2 or more private PvE servers in some way have the ability to level speed on flyers. Either they have a mod like classic flyers or a mod that replaces the flyers with something that is faster or can level the speed on.

I only play unofficial PvE servers where I can level the flyer speed. I've played over 4000 hours of ARK that way, not going to change now just because someone thinks it was unbalanced for PvP.

7 hours ago, Kinte said:

Well, speed nerf was bad thing for me back in days. That's why I don't criticize CF, despite I otherwise see fliers as "evil".

Fliers should have been "help  quickly with my chores" creatures. Moving between bases, to get missing 6 pieces of crystals to craft something - fast.
This actually was not completely achieved by The Nerf. They removed a bit of the damage and speed.

They should have removed weight leveling instead of speed. It's ridiculous you can lift 1000 of iron with a bird. On the contrary, you would assume birds are fast for travel....

So I think the original state was bad, but they fixed it only in its small part.

I would have liked to have seen them just limit the maximum speed and possibly the weight you can level to for PvE.

I can understand why they removed leveling the speed on PvP, but on PvE, it seems the only reason is that it was causing lag and other speed related problems on the official servers. They could have just limited the number of levels you put into speed. I have seen people level it so high that they fly faster than things around them can render.

I actually quit playing Scorched Earth and all official servers when this nerf came out. I had about 10 wyverns. These lost all value to me when they nerfed the speed. I had them for months and just left them all to die. I'd have to rate this one change as the worst ever.

Since this post seems to be pretty active, I want to ask, what would you think about making flying more realistic? As in, allowing you to accelerate, having your turning radius increase as you gain speed, not being able to hover, or at least for long periods, and having other mechanics like taking off and landing softly?

15 minutes ago, LEDminer said:

Since this post seems to be pretty active, I want to ask, what would you think about making flying more realistic? As in, allowing you to accelerate, having your turning radius increase as you gain speed, not being able to hover, or at least for long periods, and having other mechanics like taking off and landing softly?

Personally I prefer simplicity over realism for many things, especially flying. For several reasons:

1) Flying on the back of dino is not something any of knows what it should feel like, so there is no standard of what we think it should be like. Most of us don't fly except for in a jet, which isn't remotely the same, so the current type of flying doesn't break with what we know. I doubt making it more "realistic" will add to immersion.

2) Adding a more complicated mechanic doesn't come without costs. Those costs include bugs where it doesn't work right.

3) Variable turn radius would be a lot harder to use.

4) Adding more diving speed increases might be interesting, a few flyers have this already.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, wildbill said:

Personally I prefer simplicity over realism for many things, especially flying. For several reasons:

1) Flying on the back of dino is not something any of knows what it should feel like, so there is no standard of what we think it should be like. Most of us don't fly except for in a jet, which isn't remotely the same, so the current type of flying doesn't break with what we know. I doubt making it more "realistic" will add to immersion.

2) Adding a more complicated mechanic doesn't come without costs. Those costs include bugs where it doesn't work right.

3) Variable turn radius would be a lot harder to use.

4) Adding more diving speed increases might be interesting, a few flyers have this already.

I kind of would like the mechanics to be blended a little with the gasbags flying a goodyear blimp feel.  A wyvern would feel interesting i think if it landed more w/ a crash into whatever instead of looking for a beautiful place to land.  

1 minute ago, GrumpyBear said:

I kind of would like the mechanics to be blended a little with the gasbags flying a goodyear blimp feel.  A wyvern would feel interesting i think if it landed more w/ a crash into whatever instead of looking for a beautiful place to land.  

I've yet to tame a gasbag. I've just comeback to ARK after a break of a few years. The topic of how real should flying be kind of reminds me of people arguing over how real the sailing should be in Atlas. It started out originally pretty difficult and rafts and ships were getting stuck all over the place. They made it easier and then people complained it was not realistic. As far as I know, they did not go back to the harder mode where ships could not sail into the wind at all. Removing hover from birds would be kind of like removing sailing into the wind. More realistic but in practice, not very fun and a real pain to use for either ships or birds.

Oh i'm not saying they can't hover, just that maybe the larger they are(wyverns really, not quetzls since they fly so slow to begin w/) , they don't suddenly stop and more of a drift as the animal adjusts it's flight animation, and if they adjusted the wyvern landing mechanic to be a bit more of a controlled crash and less of a search for a perfect landing spot...then that could translate to manticore landing a little more easily.

To be honest, for me, they could make the wyverns a little smaller, their movement animation could be sped up a little and/or articulate a little bit more, and add in a change to their flight to be just a bit more wild like the gasbags, they can still fly where gasbags can't, but if they drifted a little in flight and changed the landing to be a bit more of a here u go, that's where it's gonna happen, good luck.  it's not like you can't control where that happens if you are aiming it.  We usually are and the wyvern decides it doesn't like where we chose, so this would cut down on the wasted time waiting for it to find a perfect spot.

Edited by GrumpyBear

19 hours ago, Kinte said:

They should have removed weight leveling instead of speed. It's ridiculous you can lift 1000 of iron with a bird. On the contrary, you would assume birds are fast for travel....

So I think the original state was bad, but they fixed it only in its small part.

You know, unless they made it a no-mutate stat, it would be a matter of time before they were way up there with the current breeds.  It would definitely make life more interesting on PvP for people, especially in early-game when you don't have 45-50pt stat lines for every flier.  But in truth its a moving target, to balance this game.  So they just gutted their speed, and Ptera stats, and left it at that.  The thing that kills me is they didn't reduce the damage that Pteras do, just the frequency at which you can c-spin and stamina usage.  So you can still fight on them, but it is now more boring!