YamiJustin

So does Classic Flyers really make the game unbalanced?

So does Classic Flyers really make the game unbalanced?

Assuming it's not a strictly PVP focused server, is pumping movement into flyers that op?

I have my own server and was toying with adding the mod.

But if it's that busted maybe I'll leave it.

Also, does anyone know how to edit a creature's base stats? I'd like to undo some stupid nerfs done over the years, looking at you griffin

Yep..and S mutator and flyers on aberration but it's almost impossible to find a cluster without those.. 

I can even OK.. Classic fliers I can give a pass but s mutator or flyers on abb.. Sincerely.... It's desmotivating

Edited by jpcab

For a PVP server it would break the balance but for PVE really all it does is allow you to zip from one side of the island to the other in 2 minutes, and kill things like alpha raptors with a ptera. It would just basically speed things up really, because it is still possible (post nerf) to get from one side of the island to the other without stopping for stam, it just takes forever.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Cowgirl said:

For a PVP server it would break the balance but for PVE really all it does is allow you to zip from one side of the island to the other in 2 minutes, and kill things like alpha raptors with a ptera. It would just basically speed things up really, because it is still possible (post nerf) to get from one side of the island to the other without stopping for stam, it just takes forever.

Well surely on a PVE server it would be very unbalanced since it would effectively be removing the PVE side from the game. As PVE is all about fighting wild dinos instead of players, these wild dinos now would no longer be a real threat to your tanky fighter jet that comes with nuclear claws.

I am very surprised to hear that all these years later, there are still folks out there that hate the idea of the game being balanced and actively want to play in a deliberately unbalanced game.

You might as well go ahead and enable god mode too while your at it..

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It makes things like pteranodons and quetzals super powerful for fighting, which they really shouldn't be doing in the first place. If it's your private server and you don't care about what creatures people use, then go ahead and download it. I had to use it on a private server I hosted just to get friends back into the game.

• Like 1

Flyers get nerfed in every game.  The simple act of flying in game is pretty taxing.  Many times flying gets nerfed not just because of balance, but also game stability and user experience.   When game developers break their own speed limits... you get manas that disappear and usually a slightly crappier experience.

Have one or two people zipping around d on sped up wyvern no big deal.   Now get 30 players on with really fast wyverns .  Then see what happens.  You all should notice the game begin to choke on all of you.

Edited by GrumpyBear

7 hours ago, ForzaProiettile said:

Well surely on a PVE server it would be very unbalanced since it would effectively be removing the PVE side from the game. As PVE is all about fighting wild dinos instead of players, these wild dinos now would no longer be a real threat to your tanky fighter jet that comes with nuclear claws.

I am very surprised to hear that all these years later, there are still folks out there that hate the idea of the game being balanced and actively want to play in a deliberately unbalanced game.

You might as well go ahead and enable god mode too while your at it..

You still have E when you are doing everything else, it's not like being able to bring a BP to your friend across map in 2 mins is going to break the game. Nor does it matter if you spend 20 mins using a ptera to kill an alpha raptor. You could just go get something like a giga to do it.

14 minutes ago, Cowgirl said:

You still have E when you are doing everything else, it's not like being able to bring a BP to your friend across map in 2 mins is going to break the game. Nor does it matter if you spend 20 mins using a ptera to kill an alpha raptor. You could just go get something like a giga to do it.

Not just bringing a bp across the map, bringing an entire load of resources like metal across the map.

Using a ptera to kill an alpha vs. using a giga to kill an alpha. Giga is an end game creature, ptera is something you can tame early on.

You gotta think more deeper into these things.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, johnm81 said:

Isn’t it odd and how schizophrenic WC is that on one hand they balance fliers for extreme mobility and then introduce the managarmr. It’s almost like pvp balance is important except when it comes to selling dlc content.

yea, someone forgot some of the basic lessons of adding flying to games when they came up with the mana.  There's reasons other than balance of game play that come into focus when designing a player experience for a flying mount.  They completely forgot about them w/ the mana.  That's  partly why they keep disappearing.

Edited by GrumpyBear

4 minutes ago, johnm81 said:

Isn’t it odd and how schizophrenic WC is that on one hand they balance fliers for extreme mobility and then introduce the managarmr. It’s almost like pvp balance is important except when it comes to selling dlc content.

Wait till you see the teleporting space whale with a turret saddle.

3 minutes ago, LEDminer said:

Wait till you see the teleporting space whale with a turret saddle.

I REALLY hope they think that one through thoroughly.  It can be done right.  They could, for instance, put a "warm up" on the ability, and use the warm up time to render the destination in before you arrive to it.

Edited by Spiral3

1 minute ago, Spiral3 said:

I REALLY hope they think that one through thoroughly.  It can be done right.  They could, for instance, put a "warm up" on the ability, and use the warm up time to render the destination in before you arrive to it.

Well, they did decide to delay the DLC in favor of polishing it, so I hope they really do test it thoroughly and iron out as many issues as they can find. I don't want to see the forums flood with "AsTrOcEtUs BuStEd REEEEEEE" when the alpha tribes use them to do some crazy under the mesh raiding or crap like that.

5 hours ago, LEDminer said:

Not just bringing a bp across the map, bringing an entire load of resources like metal across the map.

Using a ptera to kill an alpha vs. using a giga to kill an alpha. Giga is an end game creature, ptera is something you can tame early on.

You gotta think more deeper into these things.

You're still just speeding up the inevitable. Like I said it is still possible to fly from one end of the map to the other without stopping, it would just be faster with CF. And what does it matter if a ptera can kill an alpha? How will that break the game? Especially now since they aren't even worth that much XP.

8 hours ago, johnm81 said:

I think its a mix of selling DLC and the fact that players are inherently lazy and like to just go straight from A - B without having to deal with terrain and hostile dinos.

Unfortunately for this game the Devs caved in a long time to ago players that like shiny stuff and a dumbed down game. It's why players continue to depart. This game was at its peak in 2015/2016 before the Devs lost the plot and added all manner of insane crap to the game.

2 hours ago, ForzaProiettile said:

I think its a mix of selling DLC and the fact that players are inherently lazy and like to just go straight from A - B without having to deal with terrain and hostile dinos.

Unfortunately for this game the Devs caved in a long time to ago players that like shiny stuff and a dumbed down game. It's why players continue to depart. This game was at its peak in 2015/2016 before the Devs lost the plot and added all manner of insane crap to the game.

like flying whales? lol...

Well, speed nerf was bad thing for me back in days. That's why I don't criticize CF, despite I otherwise see fliers as "evil".

Fliers should have been "help  quickly with my chores" creatures. Moving between bases, to get missing 6 pieces of crystals to craft something - fast.
This actually was not completely achieved by The Nerf. They removed a bit of the damage and speed.

They should have removed weight leveling instead of speed. It's ridiculous you can lift 1000 of iron with a bird. On the contrary, you would assume birds are fast for travel....

So I think the original state was bad, but they fixed it only in its small part.

OP, I don't believe it does on PvE.  It makes it easy for people to tunnel-vision on speedy fliers, which is 95% the reason they will choose them over other mounts...  Just the speed.  On Ab, by far the largest used mount for Queen farming was the Drake for the longest time.  Pods have shifted that to Megalosaurus there, but only for some.  Many still use Drakes, even though they are horrible mounts for dino-to-dino combat.  Sure, you can shoot off their back, but I'm talking just straight melee.  But they are faster and more maneuverable.

But the PvE META (if you wanna call it that) is always going to include the quickest way to do stuff, so the flyer nerf just made flyers a more boring option.  As has been discussed, most dinos carry better and fight better than before the nerf, excepting Ptera c-spin cooldown.  They are just more boring to use.  PvP is a very different story with that, though.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cowgirl said:

You're still just speeding up the inevitable. Like I said it is still possible to fly from one end of the map to the other without stopping, it would just be faster with CF. And what does it matter if a ptera can kill an alpha? How will that break the game? Especially now since they aren't even worth that much XP.

Well, the high speeds weren't good for the official servers. People complained about how crap they were, and as @GrumpyBear said, having many people flying around at high speeds is really heavy on the server performance.

I also didn't mention alpha raptor, but instead alphas in general, since pteras could easily kill any of the alphas, heck I remember killing alpha rexes in like 5 minutes with my first bred ptera back when they were OP.

But as I said earlier, I don't care if someone puts the mod on their server, it's their server and they decide what they do with it.

Edited by LEDminer

The no flier or slow flier experience is OK for new players.  By the time you're 3k hours in and have started over from scratch about 8 times, you're ready for a different experience than trying to navigate an anky across the river and up a hill full of trees to make a metal run.