Alpha Dragon on Island

MystikR

The Alpha Dragons on Valguero and Ragnarok aren't nerfed.  They do the same damage and same HP as Island Dragon.  Test-loading arena instances can verify this, even on Singleplayer. The fact that the bosses are weaker on Singleplayer is irrelevant, because the boss-tuning is still consistent from ARK to ARK.  Dragon on Island doesn't magically hit for 4000 damage while everywhere else it is 500.  It's just that on Island the Dragon is more willing to fly up, and there are more environmental hazards (primarily the lava).  EDIT:  I'm testing in Singleplayer right now to verify consistency.  If it has changed I will recant this entire statement, no questions asked.

I'm not saying Island Dragon is a walk in the park.  It sucks, because you can get knocked into lava, and as I said it likes to fly more often there than when you fight it on other ARKs.  But like on Ragnarok Arena, it loves to stay landed for good, long stretches so you can get massive DPS into it, and it goes down pretty quickly.  Especially with the modern boss-dinos, it is a cakewalk.  I mean people kill Alpha Dragon with shotguns and veggie-cake deers for ARK's sake.

OK I'll say this:  Alpha Dragon on Island is...  WEIRD.  I was partly wrong for sure, but I have no idea how this boss works, I guess.  On Singleplayer, I did one run and with infinitestats on and a HP-pumped survivor (800 HP), was killed off the back of a Therizino I spawned in after fighting for a little (yes, I verified actual infinitestats with the expanded console).  The meteor was also hitting for barely any damage, as was the bite, but somehow it killed me right off the back.  The second time I ran it, the meteor was hitting for about 1/4 the damage of before, and the melee was hitting for over 700 damage.  None of these numbers are consistent with  current information on the Dragon's melee attacks, sure as hell not at the same time.  I would have to load the DevKit and sift through the blueprint for Dragon to see if my inexperienced eyes can find out how this is intended to work, but currently I don't know.  I just don't get it.  Two boss runs, two different sets of damage. 

Just bring Hellfire if you are doing that dumb boss.  I've done Island Dragon (Alpha), Rag Dragon (Alpha), and Valg Dragon (Beta), but this was different than I've ever seen it behave.  I'm guessing people are correct to be so cautious with it.  Either way, I'm a bit wrong about this one.

On ragnarok I did alpha dragon with 19 rexes and a yuti, they had around 40k hp and 600% base melee (around 1k after lvling). Easy piece of cake. Chomped him down in under 2 minutes with only 3-4 rexes having less than half hp. Spent the rest 20 minutes chasing that stupid flying never-landing poison cat.

On island I did alpha dragon with the same setup, but rexes had 100k hp and 2-2,2k % melee. That mf killed like 5-6 of them. Fought him on the spawning platform, far away from lava streams. Rest of the rexes had 1/4 hp, one of them got out with 300 hp left. They even had better saddles, those on ragna had jour/mc saddles while these had ascendant ones.

Dont know the numbers, but since then I hold a big respect for the alpha island dragon. Seems much harder than the ragna one.

34 minutes ago, Erinn said:

Dont know the numbers, but since then I hold a big respect for the alpha island dragon. Seems much harder than the ragna one.

The Island Dragon is the real deal. The Ragnarok and Valguero variants are easy in comparison. While the Val and Rag varients have the same stats, they take increased damage, with the Rag version taking 3.5x damage, the wiki doesnt mention how much the Val one takes but I would imgaine it took the same at the very least. 

18 minutes ago, AngrySaltire said:

The Island Dragon is the real deal. The Ragnarok and Valguero variants are easy in comparison. While the Val and Rag varients have the same stats, they take increased damage, with the Rag version taking 3.5x damage, the wiki doesnt mention how much the Val one takes but I would imgaine it took the same at the very least. 

This could be the numbers I was missing, didnt know about it. I thought the island version takes longer to kill because he likes to fly around, but it might be that he actualy uses his breath attack more times because he is more resistant.

Since then when I need engrams for a character, I do the ragnarok arena. If I need element on island, I just run alpha monkey 2-3x.

I've seen a lot of Alpha Dragon fights and many methods.

Solo- Theri is still the best method. Full 20 or 19 with a Yuty. 21k hp, rest melee. 4 to 5 stacks of veggie cakes. I'd say minimum to beat would be 800 melee but that'll come with heavy losses. 

Group- A ton of viable options but newest and pretty good is Rhino's, Velo's, and a Yuty. Rhino's do huge damage plus get cake heal. 12k hp and 1000+ melee. Velo's stay back but can get a consistent dps, hop off and shotgun when they need stam regen. Not sure on levels exactly. 6 or 7k stam, at least 800 melee. 

Use to be able to cheese it with a deer and Rex's but Rex's were only to fight off adds. Once Dragon was focused on Deer, everybody hopped off and shotgunned Dragon. At least 250 damage shotgun. 

These new Rex's have better survivability if there is a Daeodon rider since they can be leveled pure melee at this point. 

Archived