Halloween festival breaks game deletes saves and is generally teh poo.

Orlanth

Halloween festival breaks game deletes saves and generally sucks.

I raised a bug report on the Steam forums here

https://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/9/1693843374482168989/

I was helpfully replied to by a forum user that the devs do not use the steam forums and should post here.  That was about a week ago, in that time the Halloween festival bug did not surface and so I let the matter drop.

However I had a crash about half an hour ago, and when I re-logged I got the annoying splash screen advertising the buggy suckfest Halloween seasonal event.  I knew exactly what that meant, game resets and character bugs.  The thing is the devs assume that you want to join in with the festival, so they 'helpfully' reset your defaults from whatever you were playing and highlight vanilla game with all the fun of Halloween etc etc, even though it is now November.

The first time this happened I lost not only my game settings but when I tried to log back in my entire character.  Second time I kept my character but he was kicked out of his own tribe and my dinos were all in red with the tribe name beneath.  This is what has just happened now.

I play solo, I play hardcore and Primitive Plus, its the only way I play.  At a very minimum I do not appreciate  having my settings hijacked to showcase a Halloween special.  This is something I should opt in rather than opt out.  However it is worse, while resetting my settings to a default with the Halloween event splash screen and jolly music, which is extra annoying as I know what accompanies this.  Even on the one occasion when it didn't corrupt my game files I still had to reset my game settings, both in terms of game settings and graphics settings.  It is hard to remember which graphics settings I had anyway as the descriptions are written in  gobbledigook.  Its a chore I should not have to spend ten minutes sorting out just to rid myself of the after effects of an in game add screen.

The big bag of suck I have to contend with is the corruption of my save files.  I play hardcore and I think this makes a difference here.  I wasn't near death when the crash occurred, but the game treats my character as a resurrected cheat save or something, as my dinos are not mine.  This is super annoying as it took a week of careful play to get my replacement character up to a reasonable level with some dinos etc.

Is there any way to repair my game?  I know you can go back to previous saves files, I have done so successfully before.  However Localplayer.arkprofile and Localplayer.profile back have the same timestamp.

Also, devs, please make your Halloween festival opt in rather than opt out. If you have a new splashscreen don't have it reset the game settings to default with the new feature enabled, let that be our decision or not.

This is my first post.  I have played Ark off and on since Beta, but only recently with a fresh build have I had the rig to enjoy it properly. 

Copy of post on Steam Forums

Orlanth iconGames.png 23 Oct @ 3:44am
Annoying pumpkin festival resets game defaults and deletes saves.
This has happened twice now. When I log back on I get a halloween splashscreen and a jolly tune.
However it also resets the game settings to default. I get my game set to windowed mode, the graphics setting reset to medium (I can fix this back no problems) and everything set to standard play.

I play on single player (Host/Local), Primitive Plus and Hardcore.
I get set for default game, with no hardcore. Switching back and loading up invites me to create a new character. In effect deleting my save files though they are still there just overwritten by the 'newer default'.

Having to reset the graphics settings how I want them is a chore but doable, though I shouldn't have to do this every time I load the game during the festival.
The main problem is that changing game setting back how I want them, which is switching to Hardcore and changing dino levels from 2.0 to 5.0 somehow 'changes' the game and doesnt let me load my existing character.

Edit: This has happened a third time, and I did keep the new character. Though I had to reset settings again.

Please fix this.
Last edited by Orlanth; 23 Oct @ 3:55am

If I cant post to steam and cant post to here, where do I post?

Also can the community help, at least with recovery of game files.

I just logged out after restarting, I went through the log in process of the gmae then Valguero to be greeted by that character generation screen.  However there are backup files, and I took a copy of all my save files first.  Maybe there is something I can do.

6 minutes ago, Orlanth said:

If I cant post to steam and cant post to here, where do I post?

Also can the community help, at least with recovery of game files.

I just logged out after restarting, I went through the log in process of the gmae then Valguero to be greeted by that character generation screen.  However there are backup files, and I took a copy of all my save files first.  Maybe there is something I can do.

To file a ticket (and to get help with 10k other questions) go to google.  Search for "Ark trouble ticket".  The first link that comes up leads you to info about the official ticketing system.

Hopefully another player can help.  I can't, sorry.

• Joebl0w13 changed the title to Halloween festival breaks game deletes saves and is generally teh poo.

Archived