Should cryopods be this easy to obtain?

MajorNr01

I can create a new character on The Island, get to level 51, and suddenly I can transport any number of Brontos on my Pteranodon, using something the looks like Tek tier equipment, yet requires two metal and a some polymer to craft.

Tek Tier is a thing, so why not make cryopods a tekgram?

Why can I craft them from materials I can obtain before level 50?

Why can I unlock cryopods before flak armor?!

I read on the wiki that they used to be an Extinction-only engram, but the Valguero release made them available on all maps. Maybe this was unintended?

It all seems so out of place...

Many have argued the exact opposite stance. Why not make the cryo pods available even sooner?

They solve a lot of problems that plague servers. If you don't have a cryo pod, you are more likely to leave dinos all over the server. Ones you don't have time to get back to the base after taming, ones you leave at a resource spawn so you can come back and get more of the resource. More tiny bases near caves and resources whose only purpose is to store dinos until you use them next time you are in that area. Also just huge bases full of hundreds of dinos because you have nowhere to store them (like in a cryo pod). I honestly don't play official servers, but also the unofficial servers are better off the more people use cyro pods or something like them from a mod.

Cryopod should be different on PvP and PvE.

On PvE where sharing land and tame cap space is important and should be encouraged. Cryopods should be early game and easy to make. No cooldown to encourage player to actually use them, hello breeders. The expiration timers should be much longer.

On PvP, they are likely already balanced.

But with the cooldown and cryosickness how does being able to transport 300 brontos across the map on a ptera hurt the game? You would have to wait 1500 minutes to unpod them all (or have them KO'd and vulnerable, not to mention it takes an hour to wake up, so you still lose out on time)  unless you only transported 2-3 it doesn't make a difference.

2 hours ago, MajorNr01 said:

I can create a new character on The Island, get to level 51, and suddenly I can transport any number of Brontos on my Pteranodon, using something the looks like Tek tier equipment, yet requires two metal and a some polymer to craft.

I read on the wiki that they used to be an Extinction-only engram, but the Valguero release made them available on all maps. Maybe this was unintended?

Up until recently, you still had to have the Tek Replicator to make them (and the cryo-fridge), which means you had to complete a Boss fight that granted the Tek Replicator engram.

That may have changed? I think I recall someone saying you could now craft them in the obelisks? Anyone know if that's true? 

3 minutes ago, DeHammer said:

Up until recently, you still had to have the Tek Replicator to make them (and the cryo-fridge), which means you had to complete a Boss fight that granted the Tek Replicator engram.

That may have changed? I think I recall someone saying you could now craft them in the obelisks? Anyone know if that's true? 

Yep

1 hour ago, wildbill said:

Many have argued the exact opposite stance. Why not make the cryo pods available even sooner?

They solve a lot of problems that plague servers. If you don't have a cryo pod, you are more likely to leave dinos all over the server. Ones you don't have time to get back to the base after taming, ones you leave at a resource spawn so you can come back and get more of the resource. More tiny bases near caves and resources whose only purpose is to store dinos until you use them next time you are in that area. Also just huge bases full of hundreds of dinos because you have nowhere to store them (like in a cryo pod). I honestly don't play official servers, but also the unofficial servers are better off the more people use cyro pods or something like them from a mod.

"Ones you don't have time to get back to the base after taming"
"tiny bases near caves and resources whose only purpose is to store dinos until you use them next time you are in that area"

Both cases I consider to be part of ARK's core gameplay. You tame a dino, you transport it back to base. You want to farm the resources in a specific place, you build an outpost to hold the farming dinos.

ARK is an open world game. This means everything happens on a single interconnected map (for the most part). Your perspective seems to be that ARK might as well give up on that, because people can't be bothered to travel and transport. That's fair enough, it's just not the kind of game I thought ARK was.

What's the point of the enormous size differences between dinos if you can stuff as many Brontos into a cryofridge as you can Compys?
What's the point of the huge map you would have to transport dinos across if you can just cryopod all of them, basically for free, and hop on your Pteranodon?

They might aswell turn ARK into a Pokemon game where you walk around with your dinos in your pocket and only release them whenever you need to. Again, if that's the game you want to play then that's fine, but I personally think this is destroying core mechanics of the game.

2 minutes ago, MajorNr01 said:

but I personally think this is destroying core mechanics of the game.

I would argue that not being able to tame or a breed on a dino capped server, affected core mechanics much more greatly. 

That's what cryopods aimed to alleviate and they did. 

The great thing, in this sandbox and open world game, is that you don't have to use them if you don't want. They don't affect how you want to play the game, from a PvE perspective at least. 

I personally feel they enhance the way I want to play. I did it the normal way, I prefer having less lag and having less bases to upkeep, which benefits the server by opening up more land for noobs.

16 minutes ago, MajorNr01 said:

"Ones you don't have time to get back to the base after taming"
"tiny bases near caves and resources whose only purpose is to store dinos until you use them next time you are in that area"

Both cases I consider to be part of ARK's core gameplay. You tame a dino, you transport it back to base. You want to farm the resources in a specific place, you build an outpost to hold the farming dinos.

ARK is an open world game. This means everything happens on a single interconnected map (for the most part). Your perspective seems to be that ARK might as well give up on that, because people can't be bothered to travel and transport. That's fair enough, it's just not the kind of game I thought ARK was.

What's the point of the enormous size differences between dinos if you can stuff as many Brontos into a cryofridge as you can Compys?
What's the point of the huge map you would have to transport dinos across if you can just cryopod all of them, basically for free, and hop on your Pteranodon?

They might aswell turn ARK into a Pokemon game where you walk around with your dinos in your pocket and only release them whenever you need to. Again, if that's the game you want to play then that's fine, but I personally think this is destroying core mechanics of the game.

You aren't forced to use cryopods. It's a sandbox game, play how you want. But if you're on PvE, its just considerate to store/cryopod your creatures instead of having a huge laggy tame cap hogging base.

3 minutes ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

I would argue that not being able to tame or a breed on a dino capped server, affected core mechanics much more greatly. 

That's what cryopods aimed to alleviate and they did. 

The great thing, in this sandbox and open world game, is that you don't have to use them if you don't want. They don't affect how you want to play the game, from a PvE perspective at least. 

I personally feel they enhance the way I want to play. I did it the normal way, I prefer having less lag and having less bases to upkeep, which benefits the server by opening up more land for noobs.

I agree that they alleviate the dino cap problem in a meaningful way.

But do I really need access to them before I can even ride a Rex?

The "Server Configuration" page on the wiki says that official servers have a tribe tame cap of 500. I don't know how I would even manage to tame 500 dinos before reaching Tek tier.

I am complaining about cryopods that can be unlocked at level 51 and crafted for basically nothing (canteens require more polymer!).

I actually think that Tek tier cryopods are a great idea. It's exactly the kind of tech I would want to unlock at that stage of the game!

36 minutes ago, MajorNr01 said:

I agree that they alleviate the dino cap problem in a meaningful way.

But do I really need access to them before I can even ride a Rex?

The "Server Configuration" page on the wiki says that official servers have a tribe tame cap of 500. I don't know how I would even manage to tame 500 dinos before reaching Tek tier.

I am complaining about cryopods that can be unlocked at level 51 and crafted for basically nothing (canteens require more polymer!).

I actually think that Tek tier cryopods are a great idea. It's exactly the kind of tech I would want to unlock at that stage of the game!

I haven't played official servers recently, but I'm pretty sure it isn't the tribe tame cap of 500 that stops people from taming dinos. There is also a server tame cap.  That is the limit I hit a few times that prevented me from having more tames. Do a Google search on "ark server tame cap" and you will see lots of people mad about this a year or two ago.

Both the cryo pods and the new kibble system solved the problems with servers hitting tame cap. Rafts were also consider a tame, so the Leedsichthys was added to kill all the abandoned rafts. No one wants to go back to those days of waiting for someone to kill some tames so you can tame something.

I play on an unofficial. It has a mod that does exactly what a cryo pod does, but even easier to use. My first Rex was right next to my base. I tamed it there and rode it one minute to my base. The 2nd I tamed quite a bit farther away. I tamed it, podded it, took it to the base, un podded it. Put a saddle on it. Oh was I happy that I didn't have to ride it back, all the way worrying that my brand new tame would be killed by an alpha or some other bad luck that ARK likes to throw at you. That's how I prefer to play the game, but of course you can play it however you want, that is what is so great about ARK. You can find the server or make your own server and play the game your way.

BTW, I never once unlocked Tek per how it is done on official servers, but played on them about 1000 hours. If I recall, you need to tame and breed like 30 Rex's plus other dinos, then you do a boss fight and that unlocks the Tek. So seems like you would need the cryo pod long before you unlock Tek on an official server.

30 minutes ago, wildbill said:

I haven't played official servers recently, but I'm pretty sure it isn't the tribe tame cap of 500 that stops people from taming dinos. There is also a server tame cap.  That is the limit I hit a few times that prevented me from having more tames. Do a Google search on "ark server tame cap" and you will see lots of people mad about this a year or two ago.

Both the cryo pods and the new kibble system solved the problems with servers hitting tame cap. Rafts were also consider a tame, so the Leedsichthys was added to kill all the abandoned rafts. No one wants to go back to those days of waiting for someone to kill some tames so you can tame something.

I play on an unofficial. It has a mod that does exactly what a cryo pod does, but even easier to use. My first Rex was right next to my base. I tamed it there and rode it one minute to my base. The 2nd I tamed quite a bit farther away. I tamed it, podded it, took it to the base, un podded it. Put a saddle on it. Oh was I happy that I didn't have to ride it back, all the way worrying that my brand new tame would be killed by an alpha or some other bad luck that ARK likes to throw at you. That's how I prefer to play the game, but of course you can play it however you want, that is what is so great about ARK. You can find the server or make your own server and play the game your way.

BTW, I never once unlocked Tek per how it is done on official servers, but played on them about 1000 hours. If I recall, you need to tame and breed like 30 Rex's plus other dinos, then you do a boss fight and that unlocks the Tek. So seems like you would need the cryo pod long before you unlock Tek on an official server.

22 minutes ago, deedoubleu said:

If anything, pods should be even easier to obtain. Like craftable in fab for example. Still not enough people are using it.

It's not  about lore or realism(don't get me started on this one), it's just a way to decrease server load.

I see...

I play on a small server with a handfull of friends which explains why I didn't see the tame cap issue.

It seems the best way to deal with this is to disable cryopods on my server. I understand how important this might be to keep official servers going.

I would like to keep cryopods as some kind of tekgram though, but I think I would have to mod the server for that...

I would caution you before outright disabling cryopods because you don't like them, talk to your friends and see how they feel about it first. It's your server, but they're your players, and sometimes it's worth compromising for the sake of keeping them happy.

Cryopods are the single biggest QoL upgrade this game has ever seen. If you don't like them then you don't have to use them personally, but that doesn't mean your friends should have to suffer the pain of pre-cryo gameplay. It's not just about tame cap; if you've never had to walk a bronto across the map, or lose a freshly tamed bear to piranhas while crossing a river, or having to caravan a line of 20 rexes to an obelisk, then it might be hard to imagine just how frustrating long distance travel can be in this game. Cryopods aren't just about being easy, it's about reducing the frustration of a game that's already needlessly frustrating for many other reasons.

While I agree for lore purposes it makes little sense, I'm very happy that the devs made them available to everyone at a reasonable level and in this case, gameplay trumps everything else. 

Yes. They absolutely should be this easy to obtain. They solve a myriad of issues that would otherwise exist in the game:

1) Without cryopods you are forced to rely on your flyers much more because other dinos aren't really remotely as portable. Non-flyers just become useful with cryopods. 

2) Dinos get stuck in the ground all the time. You can use cryopods to get them out. 

3) Easy transport of a dino army, otherwise it becomes a tremendous hassle that is so tedious and time consuming. 

4) It allows you to raise baby dinos without staying up all-night continuously. Can just cryopod them and continue raising them in the morning. 

On 11/4/2019 at 6:05 PM, MajorNr01 said:

I had the same  gripe when I heard about it.
I don't play pvp or official so I don't exactly know the balancing side of things, but it sort of makes the old days of having to walk stuff back to base after a tame or using quetzals redundant. Sure, they were  super useful to my level 135 fully ascended character when I played extinction, but they do make the game a lot easier at primitive stage. I definitely see the upsides to having them available at low levels, but it ruins some of the charm for me personally. I'm sure a lot of people disagree :P

Archived