Is it me or do we get hungry/thirsty WAY too quick!

Udam

• Joebl0w13 changed the title to Is it me or do we get hungry/thirsty WAY too quick!
4 minutes ago, Udam said:

but usually i get 32 and when i run a full sprint twice im starving even when im not cold   

It depends on the map,  Aberration & Extinction water drops really fast,  Scorched Earth both food and water seem to drop really fast, The island not so much but it still seems fast to me.  

Honestly in real life, if I had to eat / drink as much as my character does in ark for the physical exertion, I'd most likely be 300+ lbs, I mean honestly, try counting how many times a day your character eats a full meal, just going around doing normal things at a normal pace.

9 minutes ago, caleb68 said:

It depends on the map,  Aberration & Extinction water drops really fast,  Scorched Earth both food and water seem to drop really fast, The island not so much but it still seems fast to me.  

Honestly in real life, if I had to eat / drink as much as my character does in ark for the physical exertion, I'd most likely be 300+ lbs, I mean honestly, try counting how many times a day your character eats a full meal, just going around doing normal things at a normal pace.

well the human body. can survive without food for 3 weeks and 3 days without water

i ask to tone the food system down cuz ive been playing atlas and when i play i really don't starve or get thirsty every 5 mins but thats just me!

8 minutes ago, MooseX said:

I play on my Unofficial server on Ragnarok. My Fortitude is set at 400, I hardly eat or drink anymore ;)

lol but im speaking from single player (if you don't want to boost stuff) and servers (i played on legacy and i took a break due to stress of being attacked every 5 sec's)

plus i think when you level in lets say "food", you get plus +100 food. so it gives you a reason instead to put at least 1 level into it cuz its not worth it to just get +10

and when you start a new person base it should be IMO

100 Hp

100 stam

100 o2

100 food and water

200 weight

100 damage

base speed

and 4 fourtitude

base crafting skill   

also this is from my post about my ideas but i think there should be benefits for surviving!

4 stages of Food and Water effect once your food or water goes down it will give you these 

Food

Peckish: Make Stamina Lower Faster

Hungry: Melee is weaker 

Famished: Wight is Reduced, and even weaker

Starving: you lose HP and stamina

Water

Parched: Lose Stamina Faster 

Thirsty: get slower. and Cant heal Fully

Mild Dehydration: Weak And Take more Damage 

Dehydration: Death  

Benefits to surviving  

you have to eat the good food Run around,  drink and be active you can't just sit. and you can earn: and they go away if you Died 3 times (note you can't have them all) 

4% reduction to Damage 

+100% Crafting Skill 

-45% food and water Consumption

+ 15 Fortuted 

+50% protection from the elements

-25% Stamina Consumption   

5% extra Healing efficiency

Immunity to poison and 75% reduction to any diseases

+10% extra Health

2% more Damage.

15% reduction to weight

-25% less oxygen consumption

56 minutes ago, Udam said:

also this is from my post about my ideas but i think there should be benefits for surviving!

4 stages of Food and Water effect once your food or water goes down it will give you these 

Food

Peckish: Make Stamina Lower Faster

Hungry: Melee is weaker 

Famished: Wight is Reduced, and even weaker

Starving: you lose HP and stamina

Water

Parched: Lose Stamina Faster 

Thirsty: get slower. and Cant heal Fully

Mild Dehydration: Weak And Take more Damage 

Dehydration: Death  

Benefits to surviving  

you have to eat the good food Run around,  drink and be active you can't just sit. and you can earn: and they go away if you Died 3 times (note you can't have them all) 

4% reduction to Damage 

+100% Crafting Skill 

-45% food and water Consumption

+ 15 Fortuted 

+50% protection from the elements

-25% Stamina Consumption   

5% extra Healing efficiency

Immunity to poison and 75% reduction to any diseases

+10% extra Health

2% more Damage.

15% reduction to weight

-25% less oxygen consumption

Nope. If you want a ridiculously complicated food and water system, just keep playing Atlas. One of the main reasons I don't play Atlas is the food system.

ARK is just fine as it is. If it seems you get hungry a bit too fast, just put points in fortitude or play on an unofficial server where they have reduced the need for water and food.

So simple a solution, nothing complicated needed like the above. 

3 minutes ago, Spiral3 said:

Really?  If you ran/swung a hatchet all day while being pushed on by adrenaline as you have to deal with dinos your body would start demanding a LOT of food from you.

Ya. The trick to ARK is tame all the dinos to do all the work for you. When you are riding a dino your food and water usage goes way down. I think it is the same as if you are idle, which is also much lower than if you are out doing stuff that uses stamina.

6 minutes ago, wildbill said:

Nope. If you want a ridiculously complicated food and water system, just keep playing Atlas. One of the main reasons I don't play Atlas is the food system.

ARK is just fine as it is. If it seems you get hungry a bit too fast, just put points in fortitude or play on an unofficial server where they have reduced the need for water and food.

So simple a solution, nothing complicated needed like the above. 

agree i could have worded myself "a bit better"

but basically as long as you eat and drink and just be active (not just sit in a chair) and you can get these buffs overtime 

you don't have a specific diet like atlas. just eat and drink

and ik that atlas food system isn't everyone's cup of tea (hell still learning it myself)

13 minutes ago, Spiral3 said:

Really?  If you ran/swung a hatchet all day while being pushed on by adrenaline as you have to deal with dinos your body would start demanding a LOT of food from you.

4 minutes ago, wildbill said:

Ya. The trick to ARK is tame all the dinos to do all the work for you. When you are riding a dino your food and water usage goes way down. I think it is the same as if you are idle, which is also much lower than if you are out doing stuff that uses stamina.

well my point is that you just starve/dehydrate to fast!

in SE i can understand why you get thrist way to quick.

however  if you just cold that's just makes food just go away alot faster!

and while i never done all of that. i do run around a lot and been through alot of heat (not as bad as desert heat. just tropical heat) i don't get thirsty when i run around!

IMO

43 minutes ago, Udam said:

oh im dumb i just run to get to places faster lol

Ya, who doesn't like running in the game, but it does use the food and especially the water.

I learned that trick on Scorched Earth. I would die from thirst so fast until I started walking. Was a bit tedious, but then once I tamed a Morellatops I just rode that around everywhere instead. It is also like a well, has water you can drink from it.

The game is fine, you just need to adapt, not the game adapt to you (of course you can do that too if you run your own server, you can adjust these settings).

One very cool thing ARK did (well a lot of games do this). Is they make just about every game setting adjustable. The wiki tells you everything you need to know to change the settings. You can play single player with these two settings (one for water, one for food) set to use very little. You can join an unofficial server where these are changed. Many change these two. Or you can make your own server with the settings exactly how you like them.

9 hours ago, Spiral3 said:

use to clear blackberries and brush from forest areas with a machete for 8 hrs a day,  we stopped to get a drink 3 times each day, and had a 15 min break inbetween.   likewise I've bucked 50lb hay bails for 7 hrs strait as well, we stopped 2 times for for water, and didn't have a lunch break.

during those intense work sessions, guess what?  I didn't eat anymore food then as i did on a weekend were I just sat around infront of my computer and tv.

point being, there is nothing I could physically strain my body to to make me eat 20 full meals in a single day.

2 hours ago, caleb68 said:

use to clear blackberries and brush from forest areas with a machete for 8 hrs a day,  we stopped to get a drink 3 times each day, and had a 15 min break inbetween.   likewise I've bucked 50lb hay bails for 7 hrs strait as well, we stopped 2 times for for water, and didn't have a lunch break.

during those intense work sessions, guess what?  I didn't eat anymore food then as i did on a weekend were I just sat around infront of my computer and tv.

point being, there is nothing I could physically strain my body to to make me eat 20 full meals in a single day.

Ya, pretty much everyone agrees it is a bit much, but nothing you can't deal with in game.

One thing to consider, isn't a day in ARK like 15 minutes? So If you eat every 5 minutes in ARK, that is like eating every 4 hours in real life, although ARK is in no way a simulation of anyone's typical day ?

On 11/4/2019 at 9:45 AM, Udam said:

i thought it just gave you protection from the elements and torpor!

but usually i get 32 and when i run a full sprint twice im starving even when im not cold   

the environment affects your hunger and thirst greatly, fortitude reduces the impact of the environment on your char.

On 11/4/2019 at 9:53 AM, caleb68 said:

I just roleplay that the reason all the dinos constantly eat is super-hyped metabolism caused by the strange glowing crystals (remember when those were highlighted on the loading screens?), and characters are similarly affected. It also explains the rapid healing rate. 

16 hours ago, Kaprosuchus said:

that is the problem with survival games. in order to make food and water matter it needs to be something you have to struggle with.  if it were realistic most people wouldn't really bother with it.

how i would do is add buffs for surviving and eating and drinking (just small buffs) and all i say it just ton it down just a bit not so much so you don't want to eat. or so fast that you get annoyed 

when u reach a certain level you are carried around a lot (bids ' gigas ect)  some good armour a decent amount of fortitude and a recipie food (craft up one u like) do it with a character leveled only in craft skill with all the above u dont go through it as quick also a heated base lol use your imagination mate a lot of this depends on that lolz 

Archived