10 minute warning for a 4gb patch? thanks Wildcard...

caleb68

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, FreeEnergyDrink said:

Every Tuesday, Same time... The update comes...

So just clean atleast 100gigs of free space in your drive before tuesday, and try to have less babies at the update time :)

you have the wierdest calendar ever.  Seriously.  Here, lets have you go back and do a Refresher course,  Go to the PC Patch log, and look at the dates of the updates, and actually look at a calendar.  No, Not Every Tuesday, and frankly NOT the same time.

4 hours ago, invincibleqc said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Community: Complains about bugs...

Wildcard: Fixes bugs...

Community: Complains about updates...

Me: ?‍♂️

You actually didn't even read the thread or what its about.

so lets do a short recap in caps for those of you who actually don't read and just look at the title.

ITS NOT ABOUT THE raptorING UPDATE - ITS ABOUT THE WARNING TIME FOR SERVER SHUTDOWN.

Get it? no? then go back and READ.

I actually had the opposite happen on a server.  Instead of too little time, it was too much.  With how WildCard likes to roll things back, it was scary because we had the double-dots about every 15 minutes but the server never went down.  If I remember this wasn't a Tuesday either, and *very important* this was long before cryopods.  I ended up logging out, many of us tried to leave the server and the other servers were online with the new version already so we were transfer-locked.  When I logged out it pinged me for the update, updated me and kept the server suspended in limbo with an old version.  A friend stayed on server, I had them communicate the message that if people log off, they cannot get back on.  This went on for hours, I think something like 10 hours.  No one did anything while I was on, everyone just sat in their bases trying to stuff troughs over and over again worried there would be a 10-hour rollback.  Once I logged out I was a lot less stressed (there's a lesson there, we all know it), but I still worried until a tribemate told me later that night they were actually disconnected, and Battlemetrics showed that the server went down for about 10 minutes for the actual update. 

If I remember right there was a 2-save-interval rollback (approx. 30 minutes), and some people still lost stuff.  They lost stuff because WildCard said the servers were going down for update in xx minutes, and they logged out.  Their clients installed the patch, the server didn't, which locked them out of the server with the "incorrect server version" error or whatever it is called for many hours.  Their babies all starved out because of the enormous amount of time they were locked out of the server.  Many of these people were solo players (believe it or not, there is not a lesson to learn here), and it was a pretty sad event.  This was in the good-ol-days of GM dino restores, so most that lost stuff were compensated.

Luckily those events happen a lot less often, but still I'm glad you didn't lose your stuff Caleb.  

5 minutes ago, TheDonn said:

Luckily those events happen a lot less often, but still I'm glad you didn't lose your stuff Caleb.  

yeah they happen a lot less but they still happen, had one of the updates do the same, only two ".." messages on that server and we ended up with a 30 minute rollback, there were a lot of pissed off people that day on that server, and that one too was during a event. I can just imagine what a 2 hour rollback would make you feel like.   course according to the posters here this stuff doesn't happen and updates are always on Tuesday, I guess Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday are also considered Tuesday by them.

When they were doing the 20 minute warnings people were like 'quick get back to base! put babies away!' and by the time the 10 minute warning popped up most were ready for the server shutdown.  by the time the 5 minute warning showed everyone was pretty much off the server, and the server had saved. Consistency doesn't seem to be a wildcard strong suit.

13 hours ago, caleb68 said:

there is a big difference between support and common sense, its not like this is rocket science.

Unfortunately, business don't consider "common sense" when they determine their policies and procedures.  They use concepts like financial responsibility, budget analysis, ROI forecasts, etc. 

You can argue that they're doing it wrong all day long, but the simple fact is that they will never be able to provide the kind of support players expect.

38 minutes ago, ArkRage said:

And furthermore, I don't mean to sound like a B, but try not to have a hissy fit over a 4GB update. It's nobody's fault that you don't have fiber. I could understand if you were on broadband taming a rex with amazing stats, or even a quetz or giga, and then a 40GB update drops, causing a mental breakdown, but jeez, 4GB.. and you're raising stuff on your own accord.. Take note, and only raise a few babies in future, perhaps?

I have a 100MB (Not Mb) connection, on a 'good' day steam will utilize 20% of that, on a average day steam will utilize 10% of that.  And that isn't just about 'me' or 'you' its about everyone's connection, not everyone downloads at the same rate as I've stated before, there are people who have 10MB, 30MB, and 60MB connections, hell I even know a few people who play it via their cell data plan.   

Assuming everyone has the 'best speed' or that because they have a high speed connection that EVERYTHING on the net will just fly to them is ironically absurd,  Net speed differs depending on how many hubs you have to pass through to get to the particular server that your trying to connect to, traffic through those hubs will slow the connection even more.

But enough about net 101.....

Enough said.  People don't read only skim, people only assume things from their own standpoint and can't see from another's perspective. I can already see this go around its like kicking a dead horse. 

• Volunteer Moderator
1 hour ago, caleb68 said:

ITS NOT ABOUT THE raptorING UPDATE - ITS ABOUT THE WARNING TIME FOR SERVER SHUTDOWN.

Sounds to me like it's not about the warning time for the server shutdown but the time that they actually do the save when the server is about to shutdown.

Now before you start insulting people again saying they can't read, lets look at this.

You said 10 minutes is not long enough for a server save, well yes it is, in your case it was. You had 10 minutes to cryo a few babies, that is fine and achievable. Now the issue I see here is that on your particular server there was not a worldsave take place at the moment of shutdown, or during those 10 minutes. However, others have stated that their official server was saved at the shutdown point.

So here the issue is actually about the save time not the warning.

Yes yes people could be in the middle of boss fights and not have 10 minutes to complete it, this is not good, but we all know what happens if WC say in advance there's going to be a patch drop, then it doesn't for an hour, people complain about that too, just like you are complaining about this.

So when you tell us to READ and you post "ITS NOT ABOUT THE raptorING UPDATE - ITS ABOUT THE WARNING TIME FOR SERVER SHUTDOWN." Is it actually about the warning time here or the fact your server didn't experience a save? Because 10 minutes is often ample time to do stuff as long as you are actively playing when the warning appears and there is a save at the actual shutdown. You can't expect WC to cater for every player that may happen to be breeding or boss fighting during a patch deployment, particularly when Tuesday has previously been stated by WC as being the general Patch day.

Yes yes we all know patches drop at different times and different days, but they have always stated Tuesday is the general patch day, and yesterday was Tuesday.

1 minute ago, GP said:

Sounds to me like it's not about the warning time for the server shutdown but the time that they actually do the save when the server is about to shutdown.

Now before you start insulting people again saying they can't read, lets look at this.

You said 10 minutes is not long enough for a server save, well yes it is, in your case it was. You had 10 minutes to cryo a few babies, that is fine and achievable. Now the issue I see here is that on your particular server there was not a worldsave take place at the moment of shutdown, or during those 10 minutes. However, others have stated that their official server was saved at the shutdown point.

So here the issue is actually about the save time not the warning.

Yes yes people could be in the middle of boss fights and not have 10 minutes to complete it, this is not good, but we all know what happens if WC say in advance there's going to be a patch drop, then it doesn't for an hour, people complain about that too, just like you are complaining about this.

So when you tell us to READ and you post "ITS NOT ABOUT THE raptorING UPDATE - ITS ABOUT THE WARNING TIME FOR SERVER SHUTDOWN." Is it actually about the warning time here or the fact your server didn't experience a save? Because 10 minutes is often ample time to do stuff as long as you are actively playing when the warning appears and there is a save at the actual shutdown. You can't expect WC to cater for every player that may happen to be breeding or boss fighting during a patch deployment, particularly when Tuesday has previously been stated by WC as being the general Patch day.

Yes yes we all know patches drop at different times and different days, but they have always stated Tuesday is the general patch day, and yesterday was Tuesday.

I wasn't insulting people, I was stating a fact.  When they say im bitching about getting a update, and that ISNT the issue. 

19 minutes ago, Aylana314159 said:

There hasn't been a formal guaranteed warning timer. 10 mins is better than 5 mins. 

If that is true, I kinda feel like people should stop telling others what to expect.  Lotta "teachers" in this thread who have all the answers.  You can't always do patch-day prep 100% perfectly, and the sad thing is, all it takes is one time.  There's a lot of opportunities for getting ARK'ed in ARK, but a 10-minute shutdown warning-window without a formally guaranteed time involving servers that save every ~15 minutes is loopy (EDIT:  I could be wrong about save-interval, but I recall it was every 15 minutes).  It's not that it could happen every time, but it's like Manticore not landing:  All it takes is a single time of you seeing the spam of red-text, and all your forum-training goes right out of the window.  And oops, you are pissed.

Then you come here, and everyone on the forums tells you to piss off and that it is your fault that things work weird, and you need to accept it and shut the raptor up and just do better next time, or you are too poor to afford fiber internet so it's your fault.

While 10 min isn’t much,  20min 30min would be appreciated,  but as a rule going forwards don’t raise your latest mutations Tuesday mornings PST.  Not until afternoon ,  if you raise stuff let it be boss teams or something you can breed for again.

dont go transfering servers after 8am PST on Tuesday’s, You could go later but I set 8 as my cutoff. And I don’t raise any new mutation Dino’s on Tuesday morning or have anything in baby phase out until after the patch.

10min should be enough time to pod your most valuable stuff.  My thoughts on why it’s not 30min anymore is because of duping.  If they gave us more than 15min,  then everyone would rush to upload stacks and stacks of great stuff in the hopes for a 30min rollback.  It would turn patch day into a lottery system.

i lost 2 characters in the great character erasure earlier in the year.  I know first hand what is worse.  Take the lost babies as a lesson in ARK time management.  To me it seems like most of the time we have different people complaining about updates because they had a change in schedule and got on ark on a day and time they don’t always get on at.  

To the argument That other games don’t have this problem.... good luck raising a spino in WoW.  All games update and all take the server clusters down for maintenance.  we only recently got cryo,  learn to use it more advantageously.  In the past you would have had nothing you could do about it, now you can.   Before earlier this year they were patching the game all different days and times,  now they said Tuesday morning unless it’s a critical issue they can’t delay on.   They have done good on this for months now except maybe a couple weeks ago I think they patched Monday instead of Tuesday.

29 minutes ago, caleb68 said:

I have a 100MB (Not Mb) connection, on a 'good' day steam will utilize 20% of that, on a average day steam will utilize 10% of that.  And that isn't just about 'me' or 'you' its about everyone's connection, not everyone downloads at the same rate as I've stated before, there are people who have 10MB, 30MB, and 60MB connections, hell I even know a few people who play it via their cell data plan.   

Assuming everyone has the 'best speed' or that because they have a high speed connection that EVERYTHING on the net will just fly to them is ironically absurd,  Net speed differs depending on how many hubs you have to pass through to get to the particular server that your trying to connect to, traffic through those hubs will slow the connection even more.

But enough about net 101.....

Enough said.  People don't read only skim, people only assume things from their own standpoint and can't see from another's perspective. I can already see this go around its like kicking a dead horse. 

You could also be throttled by your ISP.  There's no way for any of us to know if it's steams fault or your connection.  Your line from the isp to you, your router, modem, wifi setup........ If you know your connection and you know how long updates can take for you, then you should do some planning.  Ark is all about planning, and many of the complaints that pop up are simply time management issues.

For example, you raise 20 babies at a time on 4 tek troughs, you are setting yourself up for failure on a patch day.  I have 40 tek troughs, I raise 20 at a time all the time, I be gone all day and my juvi+ animals will be fine until I chose to get back on , or Ark finally lets me.  Even w/ 40 tek troughs, stuff happens.... it's ark, part of the cost of doing business here.  

Sorry if we are all light on sympathy here, but we've all shouldered the same losses and sometimes more.  If you love the game, you learn from the moment, if not, .....

17 minutes ago, GrumpyBear said:

While 10 min isn’t much,  20min 30min would be appreciated,  but as a rule going forwards don’t raise your latest mutations Tuesday mornings PST.  Not until afternoon ,  if you raise stuff let it be boss teams or something you can breed for again.

Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday...

Far as time, Like I said before, patches have dropped as late as 6PM PST.

Consistency isn't a Wildcard strong suit.

i lost 2 characters in the great character erasure earlier in the year.  I know first hand what is worse.

I as well lost my main character to that.  A untested Patch that was tossed on to the servers, then they had to pull, roll back all the servers (except the Asian ones of course), and apply a patch to the patch to fix what could of been avoided in the first place.  I remember that one well.

10min should be enough time to pod your most valuable stuff.  My thoughts on why it’s not 30min anymore is because of duping.  If they gave us more than 15min,  then everyone would rush to upload stacks and stacks of great stuff in the hopes for a 30min rollback.  It would turn patch day into a lottery system.

Why they should address duping methods they know of rather then shelfing them to be worked out on a later date.  IF the servers would save, and downloads would actually download at the proper speeds, then yeah, all would be fluffy and dandy with a 10 minute warning, but that's not the case, most games I get large updates In a matter of minutes, but with ark that just isn't the case, and I'm sure others have the same problem.   so that ten minute warning & having to download can end up being over a hour easy for people before they are able to get back on the server. 

Far as people saying its isolated, this isn't the first time this has happened, most likely won't be the last time. and its not always the same servers not getting a save before shutdown.

6 minutes ago, GrumpyBear said:

You could also be throttled by your ISP.  There's no way for any of us to know if it's steams fault or your connection.  Your line from the isp to you, your router, modem, wifi setup........ If you know your connection and you know how long updates can take for you, then you should do some planning.  Ark is all about planning, and many of the complaints that pop up are simply time management issues.

its more of a combination of steam and where the ark files are being delivered from I would say,  when it comes to ark downloads, I'm lucky if even 1% of my bandwidth is used to get the update, where as other games I currently have installed, including atlas,  will use up to 20% of the bandwidth.  Far as my router, speed is divided depending on demand not connected devices.

If Wildcard was Consistent about patch days & times, planning would be easy. But as I stated above, they aren't.

19 minutes ago, caleb68 said:

Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday...

Far as time, Like I said before, patches have dropped as late as 6PM PST.

Consistency isn't a Wildcard strong suit.

I as well lost my main character to that.  A untested Patch that was tossed on to the servers, then they had to pull, roll back all the servers (except the Asian ones of course), and apply a patch to the patch to fix what could of been avoided in the first place.  I remember that one well.

Why they should address duping methods they know of rather then shelfing them to be worked out on a later date.  IF the servers would save, and downloads would actually download at the proper speeds, then yeah, all would be fluffy and dandy with a 10 minute warning, but that's not the case, most games I get large updates In a matter of minutes, but with ark that just isn't the case, and I'm sure others have the same problem.   so that ten minute warning & having to download can end up being over a hour easy for people before they are able to get back on the server. 

Far as people saying its isolated, this isn't the first time this has happened, most likely won't be the last time. and its not always the same servers not getting a save before shutdown.

its more of a combination of steam and where the ark files are being delivered from I would say,  when it comes to ark downloads, I'm lucky if even 1% of my bandwidth is used to get the update, where as other games I currently have installed, including atlas,  will use up to 20% of the bandwidth.  Far as my router, speed is divided depending on demand not connected devices.

If Wildcard was Consistent about patch days & times, planning would be easy. But as I stated above, they aren't.

Like I said before, they said most patch days would be on tuesdays unless there was something critical they needed to fix.  This implies information not in the sentence.  Such as if something is planned, like a massive update - it will end up on a tuesday patch.  If it's not planned, most likely it's not going to be 4gb in size since it's a small fix, those patches can end up on any other day and time , yes, but most likely won't be 4gb in size.  With that in mind, you can plan for tuesday to be potentially a large patch and dont' have valuable stuff out that you can't control any outcomes should it take you a long time to get back on.  While patches can happen on any day you can make some general assumptions with the information at hand.

I understand it hurts, but it shouldn't stop you from getting to where you want to be.  Personally, and mostly solo, I've raised over 5,000 animals easily by myself.  In the grand scheme of things, these moments are but hickups.  Nothing in ark or outside(aside from wives and children)can stop you from having the best stuff in game if you want it.

caleb68 said:

"Why they should address duping methods they know of rather then shelfing them to be worked out on a later date.  IF the servers would save, and downloads would actually download at the proper speeds, then yeah, all would be fluffy and dandy with a 10 minute warning, but that's not the case, most games I get large updates In a matter of minutes, but with ark that just isn't the case, and I'm sure others have the same problem.   so that ten minute warning & having to download can end up being over a hour easy for people before they are able to get back on the server. 

Far as people saying its isolated, this isn't the first time this has happened, most likely won't be the last time. and its not always the same servers not getting a save before shutdown."

I'm not sure what to say here, this is an inherent flaw that can't be easily undone by any engineer, mathematically it's just a constraint that the system has to abide by to make transfers work. I think the idea is to not set a behavior by the population to treat patch day as a slot machine. 

1 minute ago, GrumpyBear said:

Like I said before, they said most patch days would be on tuesdays unless there was something critical they needed to fix.  This implies information not in the sentence.  Such as if something is planned, like a massive update - it will end up on a tuesday patch.  If it's not planned, most likely it's not going to be 4gb in size since it's a small fix, those patches can end up on any other day and time , yes, but most likely won't be 4gb in size.  With that in mind, you can plan for tuesday to be potentially a large patch and dont' have valuable stuff out that you can't control any outcomes should it take you a long time to get back on.  While patches can happen on any day you can make some general assumptions with the information at hand.

I understand it hurts, but it shouldn't stop you from getting to where you want to be.  Personally, and mostly solo, I've raised over 5,000 animals easily by myself.  In the grand scheme of things, these moments are but hickups.  Nothing in ark can stop you from having the best stuff in game if you want it.

We've had 2&3gb patches on other days then Tuesday.  So even that's not a consistency.  No one can really plan for any patch,  the last patch that fell on Tuesday I thought 1 PM PST would be fine to toss out dinos but it wasn't as the server warning popped up and though I had only tossed a couple out,  it was still frustrating.  Obviously Tuesdays are days to not do anything remotely important.   But still, a patch could come any of the following days as well, at any given time.

I've raised a lot myself too, I prefer to raise then just trade for most dino's unless im trying to get some new blood into the line and someone offers to breed.  Its more rewarding to have done It yourself and you appreciate the dino's more then someone just trading one to you.   Like recently getting a wyvern killed due to the over spawning of raptors on valguero, it was my first event wyvern.  While they gave me a 190 for a replacement of the one that was lost, its just a normal colored wyvern, and while still nice, its not the same. 

1 hour ago, caleb68 said:

We've had 2&3gb patches on other days then Tuesday.  So even that's not a consistency.  No one can really plan for any patch,  the last patch that fell on Tuesday I thought 1 PM PST would be fine to toss out dinos but it wasn't as the server warning popped up and though I had only tossed a couple out,  it was still frustrating.  Obviously Tuesdays are days to not do anything remotely important.   But still, a patch could come any of the following days as well, at any given time.

I've raised a lot myself too, I prefer to raise then just trade for most dino's unless im trying to get some new blood into the line and someone offers to breed.  Its more rewarding to have done It yourself and you appreciate the dino's more then someone just trading one to you.   Like recently getting a wyvern killed due to the over spawning of raptors on valguero, it was my first event wyvern.  While they gave me a 190 for a replacement of the one that was lost, its just a normal colored wyvern, and while still nice, its not the same. 

Yea that hurts, I've hatched at least 200 drakes and ive only seen like 5 event ones out of them.  I'd be pretty bitter about losing my first cool looking one.

55 minutes ago, ArkRage said:

Well you clearly skimmed my post, or ignored the advice given, and just ranted on about your internet connection that I'm not paticulary interested in tbh.  Maybe try less babies on days updates are due? ??‍♀️ And maybe bollock steam off seen as though only 10-20% is being used.

no I addressed the part that needed addressed.  because your comment made it sound like you were saying everyone should have perfect connections across the net and the only reason they don't is because they aren't on fiber, which honestly is a farce.  And the last part was in general and not directed fully at you, but if you want to take it that way no one can stop you.  You seem to be stuck on the 'your crying over the patch' rather then the full issue at hand.

If your honestly not interested, you shouldn't of said something in the first place, any time you make a comment you should fully expect to get a response be it positive or negative.

• Volunteer Moderator
7 hours ago, caleb68 said:

You actually didn't even read the thread or what its about.

so lets do a short recap in caps for those of you who actually don't read and just look at the title.

I did read the thread. I just pointed out that people are always complaining no matter what; that's all. The reality is that there is no perfect time to make an update. A good time for you, will not be for someone else, etc. They also need to push server updates very shortly after a client update has been deployed otherwise players that download it right away will be locked of the server until it is updated too. Could they improve they way they rolls out updates? Certainly. They even acknowledged it into another similar thread you made a few weeks ago. Is 10 minutes enough? Yes, in most cases. The only instances where it is not is when you are in an arena. Having babies at base, 10 minutes give you plenty of time to freeze them.

7 minutes ago, ArkRage said:

As for the saving, I've always been in the same spot I was disconnected at, with everything how it should be, so if you're saying your server didn't save then it was some sort of glitch.

That is correct. Official servers do perform a save before shutting down for an update. Actually, you know the exact moment it saves; when the server broadcast the ".." server message. I believe we simply witnessed a case of "story embellishing" as a desperate measure to get people's support/sympathy or simply a misconception of how the updates are performed. ?

By your own admission you were only raising 25 babies.

It takes approximately six seconds to cryo a baby from the moment you start the channel to end. So let's do some....

image.thumb.png.bfca2fd3ec272e6bfb31d2b6eff1c507.png

25 x 6 =150 / 60 

That's two and a half minutes it would take you in just cryo channelling, leaving you another seven and a half minutes to get your poop together...

1 hour ago, invincibleqc said:

That is correct. Official servers do perform a save before shutting down for an update. Actually, you know the exact moment it saves; when the server broadcast the ".." server message.

then why are servers getting 15 minute rollbacks?  its obviously not working as intended.

1 hour ago, invincibleqc said:

I believe we simply witnessed a case of "story embellishing" as a desperate measure to get people's support/sympathy or simply a misconception of how the updates are performed. ?

Bite Me.  I'd say a few other choice things to this remark but im sure they would be ban worthy.  the only other comment I can think of to this remark is "All right Fan boy."

Archived