10 minute warning for a 4gb patch? thanks Wildcard...

caleb68

59 minutes ago, caleb68 said:

If you wouldn't SHUT DOWN THE SERVERS with a 10 MINUTE WARNING, that's not even enough time for a server Save.  I mean COME ON!  I don't even know if My troughs is full because there wan't a server save before the thing was shut down.  Honestly...

AND FYI the patches DONT always Fall at the same time on Tuesdays, some Tuesdays there aren't even patches, other days they don't roll out till 6 PM PST, so don't give me 'they come out generally at noon PST' bs.

Edit in:

Current Version: v300.3 - 10/29/19

• Fixed an exploit
  • Fixed issues with spawning and overspawn in relation to Fear Evolved event

4gb for this? What Aren't you telling us?

You do know forum mods here dont work for Wildcard, right? They're just volunteers.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Volunteer Moderator
14 minutes ago, caleb68 said:

52 minutes for it to download from steam and install. that plus the rollback, puts it over a hour.

WC can't cater for everyone's internet. Mine downloaded and installed in 20 minutes. If yours takes an hour then that's not WC's fault.

Having said that, the size for the patch was a bit odd, but still, as I say they can't cater for everyone's download speeds.

15 minutes ago, GP said:

WC can't cater for everyone's internet. Mine downloaded and installed in 20 minutes. If yours takes an hour then that's not WC's fault.

Having said that, the size for the patch was a bit odd, but still, as I say they can't cater for everyone's download speeds.

No its steams fault it took 52 minutes, and that's why they need to take a look at it from the customers stand point and give us ample warning PRIOR to shutting down the server so that we can take care of the things that we are currently doing.  10 minutes just isn't enough time for people to finish up what they are doing, or put dino's away, its not rocket science here that we are talking about its simple consideration by the company.  

If the warning would of been a 20 minute warning (Which they HAD been doing) people would of had enough time to get home, put stuff away and wait for the server to save, but with this patch that just wasn't the case, so people were left hanging, and im not the only one who had babies stuck out because of this, there were others on the server as well, and im sure on other servers that got that same '10 minute warning'.  

Having said that,  Bossfights can range from 3 minutes to 20 minutes based on what they take in, the tek cave itself can last anywhere from 11 minutes to 30 minutes, depending on how many people go in and what is taken in,  in both cases many people may of lost dino's due to the 10 minute warning.  There was even a person arranging a boss fight to go on right before the warning popped luckly for them they hadn't entered yet.

So you tell me, how is a 10 minute warning good in any scenario for the customers?  and how is losing what they spend days raising / hours taming, due to things like this going to instill any sort of confidence in the company? honestly, it doesn't and will make people Leary of buying any futher dlc, especially sense the servers are just recycled and not upgraded for new DLC that comes out, leaving them with lag issues on those servers due to antiquated hardware.

I can go on, should I?

In a conversation with my Ark friends, a group of about ten to twelve people who have migrated from legacy servers and have been playing for over two years, particularly me and three, came to the conclusion that Ark would only improve as game / software if WC would merge with a more technical / professional gaming company that has the ability and experience to solve critical game issues throughout its lifetime, or even sell its franchise to save the game, for she alone has been unable to technically advance this game.

32 minutes ago, AngrySaltire said:

It amazes me that WC still does not utilise the 'Message of the Day' feature for official servers. Is it really that hard to stick a message up giving sonething like a 24hr warning ? 

Well, yesterday's cummunity crunch clearly stated that a patch was coming in regards to the overspawn issues. Knowing how game-breaking the situation was, I'm not surprised to see the patch less than 48 hours away from that statement.

As for the size of the patch, it really depends on which file is being edited and also how the map (Valguero) in our case was built within the dev kit. If the file that was modified weights 2 GB, you'll end up with a 2 GB patch, even if you only changed minor things.

Regarding how the map was built, creature spawners are usually a sizeable chunk of a map file and thus could partially explain the size of the patch. As a matter of fact, the whole Valguero map weights in at around 3 GB, so 4 GB is nothing to be surprised about.

32 minutes ago, Darkholis said:

Well, yesterday's cummunity crunch clearly stated that a patch was coming in regards to the overspawn issues. Knowing how game-breaking the situation was, I'm not surprised to see the patch less than 48 hours away from that statement.

As for the size of the patch, it really depends on which file is being edited and also how the map (Valguero) in our case was built within the dev kit. If the file that was modified weights 2 GB, you'll end up with a 2 GB patch, even if you only changed minor things.

Regarding how the map was built, creature spawners are usually a sizeable chunk of a map file and thus could partially explain the size of the patch. As a matter of fact, the whole Valguero map weights in at around 3 GB, so 4 GB is nothing to be surprised about.

The Fact of the matter still stands - they are not giving ample warning to players before shutting down the servers.  be it if the patch is 500mb or 10gb,.  And there is no consistency to the time or day of patches.  Its honestly 'guess work' when a patch will hit.   Likewise they never state when a patch will be coming, the prior patch took more then 48 hours when it was said it would be coming, so even 'estimating' from announcement of a patch doesn't help, Especially during a event.

Being no ones internet downloads at the same speed, especially from steam, consideration for the customers prior to shutting down the servers for the patches should be taken and they should be given a higher then 10 minute warning.

22 minutes ago, SMP said:

Y'all need some perspective.  It's a $20 video game.  I've seen business software with license fees of thousands of dollars per year that didn't have the kind of support Ark players expect.

there is a big difference between support and common sense, its not like this is rocket science.

2 minutes ago, Luewen said:

Then again 10 minutes is quite a lot of time to put away 20 babies. Takes less than 8 seconds to cryo a dino.

And spawns were fixed on maps so whole maps need to be downloaded. Easily 4gb.

And AGAIN, IF a server save happens in that 10 minute time frame AFTER you've cryo'ed your babies,  Which it didn't and we received a rollback to a time BEFORE the 10 minute notice.  Get the picture?

seriously, why is this so hard for people to actually understand? I don't get it, have people really become that complacent?

2 minutes ago, GrumpyBear said:

Ample warning.... hmm seems to me that I yesterday they said a patch was coming to iron out some spawn problems.  Posted 1:57pm Monday.  That feels like notice to me.

" hi this is wildcard, sometime in the future their is a patch planned for the game, please refrain from doing anything in the game until the patch is applied, thanks for your understanding"

That's basically what you just said Grumpy Bear.    The patch being announced without a date doesn't say squat about when its coming and to expect it any time soon,  and the exact wording in the community crunch were "There is still an update planned to iron out some existing issues with creature spawns".  now you see that 'bold, underlined, Italic word there? Planned?  doesn't say a patch is coming, doesn't say that we will be getting poop on Tuesday, no it says 'Planned' that doesn't even mean its been worked on, just that they are 'planning' on doing a update to fix some stuff.

And AGAIN this has ZERO to do with the IN GAME SERVER SHUT DOWN NOTICE TIMEFRAME.

1 hour ago, caleb68 said:

And AGAIN, IF a server save happens in that 10 minute time frame AFTER you've cryo'ed your babies,  Which it didn't and we received a rollback to a time BEFORE the 10 minute notice.  Get the picture?

seriously, why is this so hard for people to actually understand? I don't get it, have people really become that complacent?

Then that was issue on your server. Server save happened on server i play just before the server goes down like normally.

3 minutes ago, Luewen said:

Then that was issue on your server. Server save happened on server i play just before the server goes down like normally.

this isn't the only server this has happened on and its not the first time, fact is this is the second thread i've started on here about the '10 minute warning'.  Far as your server, your lucky then as the server save is falling within that timeframe, but the first time it doesn't and you log in to find yourself dead because you were attacking something at the last save, well I can just bet you wouldn't be happy about it one bit, or perhaps your in a boss fight at the time the message comes up, say goodbye to those dinos if you can't get it done before the timer runs out.

To top it off the 10 minute warning isn't always 10 minutes to boot, its shorter at times. so your in fact not even getting that 10 minutes they are telling you you have.  Guess you'd just have to be one of those lucky blokes who got griefed by one of these to fully understand just how its not enough of a warning.

Archived