should wildcard work on optimization and bug fixes in 2020

Kodking194

should wildcard work on optimization and bug fixes in 2020  

34 members have voted

1. 1. aside from Genesis should Wildcard focus solely on optimization and bug fixes in 2020 to improve Arks gameplay experience and optimization

• yes they should definitely do it
    • no they dont because game braking bugs and glitches do not matter

@Zahlea im not suggesting removing any code, i know how catastrophic that code be.  I was was thinking about adding a very specific very simple code to fix the spawn rate for said cave.  I know it would become more complicated with other things and increasing risk of producing more bugs the more complicated it got.  Of course if they didnt barely duct tape everything along the way, the coding wouldnt get so twisted and youd run less risk of new coding chain breaking.  Also higher quality products result in better income.  From what you say its snail's big business greed for a quick buck thats shooting themselves in the foot.

Im getting word that ascension is potentially broken again since i last tested it.  Im going to test it again relatively soon to see.

Well idk how "btw your late game is completely broken" and then deciding not to fix it could ever be consider a viable attempt.  If it doesnt work, leaving it be isnt going to make it work.  Therefore they know its not going to work.  I believe full hearted that they are trying to implement working things.  Nothing i ever say against wc is against their attempts or initial codings.  Its the fact they never do anything about a botched code.  They put effort to make things, not to ever fix a mistake they make in good intentions.  Obviously we dont know all thats going on behind the scenes, just as u said, but someone somewhere is screwing up, be it smail or wc who knows.  That said tho wc had these problems before snail.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Onimusha759 said:

@Zahlea im not suggesting removing any code, i know how catastrophic that code be.  I was was thinking about adding a very specific very simple code to fix the spawn rate for said cave.  I know it would become more complicated with other things and increasing risk of producing more bugs the more complicated it got.  Of course if they didnt barely duct tape everything along the way, the coding wouldnt get so twisted and youd run less risk of new coding chain breaking.  Also higher quality products result in better income.  From what you say its snail's big business greed for a quick buck thats shooting themselves in the foot.

Im getting word that ascension is potentially broken again since i last tested it.  Im going to test it again relatively soon to see.

Well idk how "btw your late game is completely broken" and then deciding not to fix it could ever be consider a viable attempt.  If it doesnt work, leaving it be isnt going to make it work.  Therefore they know its not going to work.  I believe full hearted that they are trying to implement working things.  Nothing i ever say against wc is against their attempts or initial codings.  Its the fact they never do anything about a botched code.  They put effort to make things, not to ever fix a mistake they make in good intentions.  Obviously we dont know all thats going on behind the scenes, just as u said, but someone somewhere is screwing up, be it smail or wc who knows.  That said tho wc had these problems before snail.

Yeah, you might be right, it might very well be that simple. What I've assumed has happened is that they prioritise the meshing and a few other huge issues that people keep bringing up, leaving no time for a lot of other things to be fixed. There are quite a few things that I would assume are easy fixes - like what you describe with the overspawn - that I don't get why they don't prioritise. When we prioritise our bugs, we take into account the difficulty of fixing it, meaning anything that might not be one of the major bugs but that is easy to fix might be prioritised higher, the low hanging fruit so to speak. I get the feeling they don't do that, or at least that those don't make it into the patch notes. I definitely have opinions on their apparent prioritisation, but they still seem to focus a lot on fixes. It still seems to me like they care a lot.

Having that said - even assuming I'm right and that they do care - that's not all that matters. It doesn't fix any bugs or make bugs less annoying. The only thing it does is make it more likely things will get fixed. Personally, I also get the feeling no one at WC likes fixing bugs :P That would explain why there are so many and why some bugs have been allowed to remain for so long.

I'd like to see things fixed that have existed forever and affects 100% of the playerbase, instead of stuff that only affects a portion of it.

WHY do the command wheel options move position depending on how you're facing the dino?  WHY do we always jump off the right side of the dino (horse riders know what I'm talking about)?  WHY does light from a forge/grill penetrate solid metal/stone walls? WHY can you not drop all spoiled meat straight out of a container with the drop all button?

If I had to pick between fixing meshing or fixing those 4 things, I'd take the latter in a heartbeat.

17 hours ago, Zahlea said:

Yeah, you might be right, it might very well be that simple. What I've assumed has happened is that they prioritise the meshing and a few other huge issues that people keep bringing up, leaving no time for a lot of other things to be fixed. There are quite a few things that I would assume are easy fixes - like what you describe with the overspawn - that I don't get why they don't prioritise. When we prioritise our bugs, we take into account the difficulty of fixing it, meaning anything that might not be one of the major bugs but that is easy to fix might be prioritised higher, the low hanging fruit so to speak. I get the feeling they don't do that, or at least that those don't make it into the patch notes. I definitely have opinions on their apparent prioritisation, but they still seem to focus a lot on fixes. It still seems to me like they care a lot.

Having that said - even assuming I'm right and that they do care - that's not all that matters. It doesn't fix any bugs or make bugs less annoying. The only thing it does is make it more likely things will get fixed. Personally, I also get the feeling no one at WC likes fixing bugs :P That would explain why there are so many and why some bugs have been allowed to remain for so long.

I always like talking to you Zahlea, your always so agreeable lol.  Ya your probably right, but the majority of fixes i see are small lol.  

14 hours ago, SMP said:

I'd like to see things fixed that have existed forever and affects 100% of the playerbase, instead of stuff that only affects a portion of it.

This is exactly it.  I see fixes for things that ive never even heard of like just random as heck small things that almost look made up(besides meshing).

this poll is silly the options are "i want them to do the obvious thing" or "i like pain and suffering especially when it happens to me"

the teams that are fixing bugs are the same teams the develop tools for the creative teams to create content. They are often times smaller and if you stop creating content it won't suddenly make the engine team work faster because coding changes don't really benefit from severely increased work force. it's not like building a pyramid where everyone with hands can move stuff.  Do you really want the guy in charge of composing music trying to redo old netcode?

31 minutes ago, Kaprosuchus said:

this poll is silly the options are "i want them to do the obvious thing" or "i like pain and suffering especially when it happens to me"

the teams that are fixing bugs are the same teams the develop tools for the creative teams to create content. They are often times smaller and if you stop creating content it won't suddenly make the engine team work faster because coding changes don't really benefit from severely increased work force. it's not like building a pyramid where everyone with hands can move stuff.  Do you really want the guy in charge of composing music trying to redo old netcode?

"the teams that are fixing bugs are the same teams (that) develop tools for the creative teams to create content."  So technically these guys are part of creative process and if wc stops shoving new content these guys could fix their bs.  That essentially means kod is right.

And lets be honest, theres a lot of short attention span (kids) who scream more more more.  These people dont care about the game really.  They just want their quick thrill new content provides.  "i like pain and suffering especially when it happens to me" is the idiocy of these people.  If its such an obvious choice then why are their idiots choosing the blatantly wrong choice?  And if that is the case then the poll is completely legitimate.  Right @Kodking194

@Kaprosuchus i know they have seperate groups for certain things. but it the creative developers keep adding more and more content with bugs to the already mountainous pile it makes it harder for the group that deals with the bugs to fix the bugs. with genisis coming and the looks of how much crap it will have in it i guarantee the bug count will double in size. so when genisis does come out it sort will be like a death sentence for the coding team that has to fix the bugs.

@Kodking194 I get what you are saying.  I'm gonna give the new guys a chance. it's why i haven't preordered genesis.

@Onimusha759 didn't say it wasn't legitimate just that it was silly.  You are correct that many people just want their quick content fix.  I feel a balanced approach to content creating and bugfixing is the appropriate way forward.

5 hours ago, Kaprosuchus said:

i love the look of genesis and i really want it. but if genisis is anything like extinction when it came out (it will be) then honestly i wont be buying it till it is improved and their are few bugs. also ark is the only officialy released game that is as buggy as it is, so it is obviouse WC are lazy and are doing the wrong things. also i theorize genisis will be a hell storm of bugs. i mean we can tell it is the biggest project ever. since wc have proven they cant even handle delaing with bugs it kinda makes it obviouse genisis will not be made to its full potential  

5 hours ago, Onimusha759 said:

"i like pain and suffering especially when it happens to me" is the idiocy of these people.  If its such an obvious choice then why are their idiots choosing the blatantly wrong choice?  And if that is the case then the poll is completely legitimate.

I guess the better question is:  What is this choice, and who is supposedly making it?  Or is this statement not really about the topic of bugs and optimizations and about who voted on the poll?  Because it's probably just bored people voting because they know it might maybe, possibly, sorta irritate someone on the internet to see the poll skewed.  However, if votes for either side are wasted time (which they might be), then legitimacy doesn't matter because it is still irrelevant.

Also, understand that as I and countless others have stated here, and in other threads, and on live servers, and on older forum threads, this is not a new topic.  This is old poop, we have all wore the threads out on this topic and now its being rehashed like some new vintage designer fashion stuff.  We've been saying for close to 4.5 years now that we'd like to see more spit-shine on various aspects of ARK.  Deep in Early Access, our voices were but whispers, because we expected things to be wonky and WildCard was steady (but slow) at squashing bugs and fixing problems.  As release was announced, the voices grew to a chorus of discontent, until erupting into a full-blown cacophony of anger in the months proceeding the August launch.  We watched as toddler-aged bugs grow legs and walk out alongside a full-release product.  The ARK community has never been silent about this.  WildCard ultimately has the choice to address or ignore these things, as they always have.

On 11/1/2019 at 10:10 PM, Touda said:

Didn't Wildcard say at one point the game is as optimized as it can get without redoing the entire game from the ground up?

This is sorta what I have heard too.  I don't believe it really, but I heard it way back.

7 minutes ago, TheDonn said:

I guess the better question is:  What is this choice, and who is supposedly making it?  Or is this statement not really about the topic of bugs and optimizations and about who voted on the poll?  Because it's probably just bored people voting because they know it might maybe, possibly, sorta irritate someone on the internet to see the poll skewed.  However, if votes for either side are wasted time (which they might be), then legitimacy doesn't matter because it is still irrelevant.

Also, understand that as I and countless others have stated here, and in other threads, and on live servers, and on older forum threads, this is not a new topic.  This is old poop, we have all wore the threads out on this topic and now its being rehashed like some new vintage designer fashion stuff.  We've been saying for close to 4.5 years now that we'd like to see more spit-shine on various aspects of ARK.  Deep in Early Access, our voices were but whispers, because we expected things to be wonky and WildCard was steady (but slow) at squashing bugs and fixing problems.  As release was announced, the voices grew to a chorus of discontent, until erupting into a full-blown cacophony of anger in the months proceeding the August launch.  We watched as toddler-aged bugs grow legs and walk out alongside a full-release product.  The ARK community has never been silent about this.  WildCard ultimately has the choice to address or ignore these things, as they always have.

Your very much correct Don.  Fact is they wont do it, period.  So its irrelevant.  Tho i do think its only irrelevant because we allow it to be so.  Its a company selling a product.  Like cigarettes, if we keep buying it of course theyll keep selling it.  Theres enough support from players that despite the games horrible state and the devs doing nothing with it.  Thats why i believe these threads have purpose.  We need to piss ourselves off enough to tell wc to go F themselves and keep doing it until it hurts wc and makes them pull their head out of their butts.  Thats the only thing thatll do it.

4 hours ago, Kaprosuchus said:

@Kodking194 I get what you are saying.  I'm gonna give the new guys a chance. it's why i haven't preordered genesis.

@Onimusha759 didn't say it wasn't legitimate just that it was silly.  You are correct that many people just want their quick content fix.  I feel a balanced approach to content creating and bugfixing is the appropriate way forward.

Agreed.  I to believe the game should develop further but there are glaring cracks in the foundation and it seems irresponsible to place more weight on something that could collapse on itself.  Fix the giant holes, then start building in balance with fixes on smaller things.

18 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

People vote with their wallets. 

And they keep buying up the new releases. 

The majority says. We like it. Give us more. 

people dont like it, ark is becoming like fortnite. WC like epic keeps forking out more payed content. those who have already bought the game and all the dlc's see the new content and buy it. people will keep buying the content because its the only thing that adds more gameplay and objectives to do. they dont want to leave ark cause they have already spent soo much money on ark already. it is like an addiction. if they left ark they would be leaving all that "wasted money" and since you cant get a refund the money is just there. so to make ark worth while they keep buying the content to give them a reason to play the game. this exact same thing happens in fortnite and other games aswell. like many people have stated in thwe past on many many different threads. ark must be fixed and ridden of its bugs and glitches. then they can add more content.

No WC should work on Ark 2.0. At this point ark is a dumpster fire of a coded mess and although its a good game id much rather they started working on a new game on a updated engine with visuals that reflect 2020+ Wasting time on ark is like taking cash and flushing it down the toilet. Let them get there funding round out from genesis and pray to the Lord spaghetti monster that they are working on/ announce ark 2.0  

On 10/28/2019 at 10:13 PM, Kodking194 said:

hopefully WC will see this poll and realise it is the right thing to do

What poll?

So they fix bugs every year. They also of course create more bugs when they add new content. Still, I'd rather have the new content than just fixing a few bugs that I know all the workarounds for.

As for optimizations, my PC runs fine and it is older than ARK is. I just have to turn the settings down from max.

11 minutes ago, LionheartUK said:

No WC should work on Ark 2.0. At this point ark is a dumpster fire of a coded mess and although its a good game id much rather they started working on a new game on a updated engine with visuals that reflect 2020+ Wasting time on ark is like taking cash and flushing it down the toilet. Let them get there funding round out from genesis and pray to the Lord spaghetti monster that they are working on/ announce ark 2.0  

ark 2 is a terrible idea. it is just another oportunity to fail. plus people ahve already spent soooo much money on ark. do u think people would buy ark 2. with wc reputation of being lazy and ignorant with regular ark what makes u think ark 2 will be better. it would take less time to fix the ark we have now. making ark 2 would be way more time consuming and harder. 

1 minute ago, Kodking194 said:

ark 2 is a terrible idea. it is just another oportunity to fail. plus people ahve already spent soooo much money on ark. do u think people would buy ark 2. with wc reputation of being lazy and ignorant with regular ark what makes u think ark 2 will be better. it would take less time to fix the ark we have now. making ark 2 would be way more time consuming and harder. 

Pretty sure ARK 2 is called Atlas ?

Lets not do that one again. The jury is still out on whether it will be successful or not (I like ARK much better than Atlas).

15 minutes ago, wildbill said:

Pretty sure ARK 2 is called Atlas ?

Lets not do that one again. The jury is still out on whether it will be successful or not (I like ARK much better than Atlas).

Grape Shot and Wild card are separate Studios so No Atlas is not really ark 2. Extinction was meant to be the final expac for Ark so Wild card have to be working on something. My guess is funds where getting tight so Genisis was born to raise funds. Just like SE was made to get cash after WC where sued to the moon and back. Hence you got pre launch Expansion lol 

Ark 2. On earth. Hundreds of arks have all settled across earth vast seas. You can now fly between the arks with virtually no loading time and go round the earth completely. After winning in genesis element no longer exists and tek stops working. Humanity have to build from new (back to the beach with you bob). New factions rise and now strange creatures from the many arks roam the world as the arks where actually a liberally of life from many alien civilisations safeguarded from some evil force by ancient humans  But now the arks have awoken on earth the evil force is alerted and come. Build up progress and end up fighting this evil force. As you encounter them you will get new "Alien items" *Cough tek* essential in winning the impending war. First DLC ark in space lol   

48 minutes ago, LionheartUK said:

Except there is 0 proof that Ark 2.0 would be any better.

18 minutes ago, LionheartUK said:

Grape Shot and Wild card are separate Studios so No Atlas is not really ark 2. Extinction was meant to be the final expac for Ark so Wild card have to be working on something. My guess is funds where getting tight so Genisis was born to raise funds. Just like SE was made to get cash after WC where sued to the moon and back. Hence you got pre launch Expansion lol 

GS is a sister company of WC (a little employee shuffling) and Atlas was copy and paste from Ark. 

Archived