should wildcard work on optimization and bug fixes in 2020

Kodking194

should wildcard work on optimization and bug fixes in 2020  

34 members have voted

1. 1. aside from Genesis should Wildcard focus solely on optimization and bug fixes in 2020 to improve Arks gameplay experience and optimization

• yes they should definitely do it
    • no they dont because game braking bugs and glitches do not matter

1 hour ago, BertNoobians said:

here is a list of bugs that i face just with breeding alone.

egg incubation timer not synchronized with server timer, but the spoil timer is
when the ping is above 120, the rex eggs dont rest on the ground, they fall down and hover back up into the rex, with 255 it goes all the way back into the rex
eggs stack on other eggs, try that in real life lol, and with high ping, this means eggs can stack up, once again into the rex itself.
rex can lay egg in the mesh, and basilos can give baby into the mesh if positioned on the ground.
the rex tale can push you into foundations and you are stuck, with god knows how much rex eggs around you spoiling
the baby rex collision box is far to big, same for giga.
info cards on screen are on the wrong position on some dinos like theri and meso
unclaimed dead baby rexes cannot be harvested in pve and you cannot walk over dead baby rexes.
during growth, dinos get stuck into structures.
they can even despawn if that happens in some locations
the egg fog is way to demanding and makes fps drop, sometimes way to much.
and then the baby to juvenile bug, if a baby is not rendered when it transitions to juvenile, it wont eat from the troughs and it will die.

an excellent list. i have experienced some of these glitches like the babaies getting stuck in floors. i have also had babies run into aircons and glitch insides and the game glitches so i cant demo the air-con or claim baby. it also wont let me kill them. i hate it when eggs drop into below the map. you would not believe how amny eggs i have lost to that. it seems to happen more frequently the bigger the tame laying eggs.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Sphere said:

This thread gave me a good laugh. ?

It's proof that nobody reads the patch notes.

And I’m certain the devs don’t read bug reports since we still have early access glitches in the game, like beacons floating below the ground and sabertooth Salmon taking oxygen from creatures without an oxygen stat.

12 minutes ago, RipRavage said:

And I’m certain the devs don’t read bug reports since we still have early access glitches in the game, like beacons floating below the ground and sabertooth Salmon taking oxygen from creatures without an oxygen stat.

yeah the beacon one realy kills the desire to go beacon hunting. most good ones can not be accesed due to them being in something. also what did u say about salmon. i never knew they could take away oxygen.

should wildcard work on optimization and bug fixes in 2020?

they should have worked on them in 2016

they should have worked on them in 2017

they should have worked on them in 2018

they should have worked on them in 2019

so yes they should work on them in 2020, however we all know they will continue the pattern and put absolute minimal effort into repairing this sadly broken mess of a game.

46 minutes ago, overborg said:

should wildcard work on optimization and bug fixes in 2020?

they should have worked on them in 2016

they should have worked on them in 2017

they should have worked on them in 2018

they should have worked on them in 2019

so yes they should work on them in 2020, however we all know they will continue the pattern and put absolute minimal effort into repairing this sadly broken mess of a game.

honeslty they could have saved their asses if maybe near the end of the year they done a big bug fix update. there were sooooo many ways to avoid what has happened. but nope, they had to be ignorant and stupid.

3 hours ago, Kodking194 said:

an excellent list. i have experienced some of these glitches like the babaies getting stuck in floors. i have also had babies run into aircons and glitch insides and the game glitches so i cant demo the air-con or claim baby. it also wont let me kill them. i hate it when eggs drop into below the map. you would not believe how amny eggs i have lost to that. it seems to happen more frequently the bigger the tame laying eggs.

ah yes i added that bug as well to the list where they hatch between the airconditioners. very annoying one to. i think this bug doesnt happen if the base is elevated above the ground.

1 minute ago, BertNoobians said:

ah yes i added that bug as well to the list where they hatch between the airconditioners. very annoying one to. i think this bug doesnt happen if the base is elevated above the ground.

yes but i preffer to keep hatcheries on ground level as eggs tend to fall through the ceilings as they hatch and then they wnoder off. i tend to build near cliffs. just a pvp reflex. u know build near a cliff for protection to one side. anyway there are alot of breeding bugs.

another bug that is just so freakin irritating it honestly has to be the worst bug for me. when ever using a ranged weapon from the slingshot to a sniper. is the bug where it hits yet does not actually do damage. that bug has screwed me over soooo many times. especially in pvp as it give away the fact they are being shot and they can run inside. it also screws up taming. the amount of time i have wasted tranq arrow starting off trying to knock out a trike or parasaur cause half the arrows wont register. it wastes ammo, time and resources.

4 hours ago, Kodking194 said:

yeah the beacon one realy kills the desire to go beacon hunting. most good ones can not be accesed due to them being in something. also what did u say about salmon. i never knew they could take away oxygen.

There is a glitch where sabertooth Salmon will drain oxygen when they attack even if the creature doesn't have an oxygen stat, and when it completely empties the oxygen bar, such as would happen if you run the easy water cave consistently, it will glitch out your creature and display a suffocating symbol in the hud.  The creature wont die, but it's an annoying graphical glitch.

The beacons makes me the angriest though, Scorched and Ragnarok are the two maps with the worst glitched beacons.  It seems like it is literally any beacon that lands on a object that isn't actual ground, such as unbreakable rock structures.

9 minutes ago, RipRavage said:

There is a glitch where sabertooth Salmon will drain oxygen when they attack even if the creature doesn't have an oxygen stat, and when it completely empties the oxygen bar, such as would happen if you run the easy water cave consistently, it will glitch out your creature and display a suffocating symbol in the hud.  The creature wont die, but it's an annoying graphical glitch.

The beacons makes me the angriest though, Scorched and Ragnarok are the two maps with the worst glitched beacons.  It seems like it is literally any beacon that lands on a object that isn't actual ground, such as unbreakable rock structures.

ok thx for the salmon thing. i looked at theire wiki and dossier. it says nothin bout oxygen in it. anyway i feel your frustration. after while i gave up on beacon hunting. if i saw one that was above ground i would grab it. i used to use ghost in singal player but that was too annoying.

On 10/29/2019 at 10:12 AM, Zahlea said:

Hmmm, but they are. They are constantly fixing bugs and solving meshing issues. I mean... you can definitely be of the opinion that they don't do enough but it sounded like they were ignoring it completely and that I just can't agree to. I think they are doing a lot.

Also, even if they dedicated a year to fixing bugs - being a game developer myself - I know that it's no guarantee. There may very well be issues that can only be fixed by a complete rewrite and/or solutions that mean progress will be wiped. And we all know how much people complain at the mere breath of a possible wipe.

Granted, there are bugs that I suffer from, that I would love to see fixed, but for the most part, I just learn how to deal with them and get around it. That means, among other things, that I don't play official so I don't have to worry about meshing.

Hey Zahlea, haven't seen you in awhile.  I do agree they may be slightly better then what they were a couple years ago, but theyre still a joke.  Do you look at the actual patch notes?  They fix almost nothing or 1 tiny thing, often something that doesnt effect me at all or is basically pointless.  Recently its just meshing, more a problem with bs players then the game itself.  There are very bad and destructive bugs in the game that are completely ignored.  One would be how the argent cant carry anything without being ate alive since tlc2.  Anything that forces you to enter a cheat code to counter a dev oversight is a big red X.  Extreme over population of cave creatures in and around the center map's caves that literally crashes you even on SP.  Inability to get the skylord artifact outside of official servers on the island which could potentially block ascension and multiple trophies(the fact it was fixed on just official is just salt in the wound).  Your dinos randomly being deleted when you bring them out of the obelisk cloud storage.  These are not tiny work around problems, these are problems that effect most of us and all of our games(We just may not access the same mode of play.  Official people wont experience the skylord artifact problem, but it is still a large bug that exists in your copy of the game).  WC still only views ark as money and doesnt care about it beyond the money.  They dont do enough, theyre constantly working on bs things or money making schemes.  They never nurture the game unless it gets so sick it cant be played(Like when the rocks and foundations were adhesive tape to us).  As someone else said they should hire more people.  WC isnt hurting financially, they sold way to many copies and dlc to pull that 'card'.  They got the money to get more help which in turn could increase their sales.  Why dont they?  Because less employees means they can keep more of the money for themselves.  Its greed, the same big business bs thats rottening our world.  Heck, theres an entire mod community that could and would help, potentially for free, if wc would just ask them to.

On 10/29/2019 at 12:05 PM, d1nk said:

That is the most skewed poll ever lol. Here's one like it:

Do you like President Trump?

[  ] No

[  ] Yes because I like killing babies.

Hillary was the baby killer, democrat, remember?  While Trump gripes about big business and its greed and how its F'n up the USA.  WC a fine example of big business greed and how its F'n up this game.

2 hours ago, Onimusha759 said:

Hey Zahlea, haven't seen you in awhile.  I do agree they may be slightly better then what they were a couple years ago, but theyre still a joke.  Do you look at the actual patch notes?  They fix almost nothing or 1 tiny thing, often something that doesnt effect me at all or is basically pointless.  Recently its just meshing, more a problem with bs players then the game itself.  There are very bad and destructive bugs in the game that are completely ignored.  One would be how the argent cant carry anything without being ate alive since tlc2.  Anything that forces you to enter a cheat code to counter a dev oversight is a big red X.  Extreme over population of cave creatures in and around the center map's caves that literally crashes you even on SP.  Inability to get the skylord artifact outside of official servers on the island which could potentially block ascension and multiple trophies(the fact it was fixed on just official is just salt in the wound).  Your dinos randomly being deleted when you bring them out of the obelisk cloud storage.  These are not tiny work around problems, these are problems that effect most of us and all of our games(We just may not access the same mode of play.  Official people wont experience the skylord artifact problem, but it is still a large bug that exists in your copy of the game).  WC still only views ark as money and doesnt care about it beyond the money.  They dont do enough, theyre constantly working on bs things or money making schemes.  They never nurture the game unless it gets so sick it cant be played(Like when the rocks and foundations were adhesive tape to us).  As someone else said they should hire more people.  WC isnt hurting financially, they sold way to many copies and dlc to pull that 'card'.  They got the money to get more help which in turn could increase their sales.  Why dont they?  Because less employees means they can keep more of the money for themselves.  Its greed, the same big business bs thats rottening our world.  Heck, theres an entire mod community that could and would help, potentially for free, if wc would just ask them to.

Hillary was the baby killer, democrat, remember?  While Trump gripes about big business and its greed and how its F'n up the USA.  WC a fine example of big business greed and how its F'n up this game.

well said. i plan to develope videogames when i am older. my first priority will be the wellfar eof the game and  its community, then money will come after. basicly i will care more about the game than money itself. and it that means hiring more people to improve the game so be it. u r exactly right. there are sooo many modders that honestly if they formed together and worked well could take over ark and run develop it themselves. if WC asked for their help they could not only fix bugs. but also accomplish things WC could not do.

13 hours ago, Onimusha759 said:

Hey back :)

I haven't used the obelisks for storage yet, so that's why that bug hasn't affected me, but I agree that's a huge thing that is very difficult (if at all possible) to work around. I'm wondering about the skylord artifact thing though - when did that break? I did it a few months back without a problem on my own server... However, I did notice that it only gave one artifact instead of two as most caves seem to do for me.

I do disagree with Wildcard not caring. I actually feel it's super obvious they care a lot. That doesn't prevent me from feeling that make poor decisions about what to work on sometimes, but I don't see that as evidence of them not caring, rather an effect of them having different priorities. With meshing, while you could definitely blame that on the players, there are always bumholes who'll cheat if they can and it does affect a large amount of people. Heck, these forums are always full of people complaining about meshing and loudly voicing their opinion that WC should work on nothing else before the meshing is fixed. My point is: they're never going to be able to please everybody. Unfortunately, for you and me (since we seem to both prioritise the bugs that are not meshing), I believe those bugs are much harder to fix, which would be why we see much fewer of them being fixed.

About hurting financially, I'm actually not sure. They had a massive law suit against them during early access which in my personal opinion was what shut down their efforts at getting SotF off the ground so now I really don't have any idea of what it's like.

11 hours ago, Kodking194 said:

well said. i plan to develope videogames when i am older. my first priority will be the wellfar eof the game and  its community, then money will come after. basicly i will care more about the game than money itself. and it that means hiring more people to improve the game so be it. u r exactly right. there are sooo many modders that honestly if they formed together and worked well could take over ark and run develop it themselves. if WC asked for their help they could not only fix bugs. but also accomplish things WC could not do.

From one who knows where you're coming from - I've also been an idealistic game development student: I believe you have no idea of exactly what forces your decisions when actually making a game. As one who's actually working at a game company now, I hope you give my words credit when I say that without money, there is no game. You can only go for so long on saved up money and if there's no money, you can't hire anyone: no one that can be of help is going to work for you without a salary.

While I applaud your ambition, it's not realistic. I do believe most game developers feel that way, especially indie, but it's just not feasible past a certain point. I obviously know nothing about your chosen development area (programming, design, art, etc), but I do believe you are blissfully ignorant as to how challenging some bugs can be to fix - especially when your community has tied your hands by whining about wipes until they're out of the question.

4 hours ago, Geneweave said:

The creatures do have oxygen stat, it is simply not displayed. You can check it, however, by podding the creature and hovering your mouse over it.

image.thumb.png.8c6d33ef429a7e9f27286d97a32dabfb.png

And that stat does not refill on sea creatures, thus why we have a suffocating icon glitch.  Once it hits zero, there is no way to refill the meter.

11 hours ago, Zahlea said:

Hey back :)

I haven't used the obelisks for storage yet, so that's why that bug hasn't affected me, but I agree that's a huge thing that is very difficult (if at all possible) to work around. I'm wondering about the skylord artifact thing though - when did that break? I did it a few months back without a problem on my own server... However, I did notice that it only gave one artifact instead of two as most caves seem to do for me.

I do disagree with Wildcard not caring. I actually feel it's super obvious they care a lot. That doesn't prevent me from feeling that make poor decisions about what to work on sometimes, but I don't see that as evidence of them not caring, rather an effect of them having different priorities. With meshing, while you could definitely blame that on the players, there are always bumholes who'll cheat if they can and it does affect a large amount of people. Heck, these forums are always full of people complaining about meshing and loudly voicing their opinion that WC should work on nothing else before the meshing is fixed. My point is: they're never going to be able to please everybody. Unfortunately, for you and me (since we seem to both prioritise the bugs that are not meshing), I believe those bugs are much harder to fix, which would be why we see much fewer of them being fixed.

About hurting financially, I'm actually not sure. They had a massive law suit against them during early access which in my personal opinion was what shut down their efforts at getting SotF off the ground so now I really don't have any idea of what it's like.

From one who knows where you're coming from - I've also been an idealistic game development student: I believe you have no idea of exactly what forces your decisions when actually making a game. As one who's actually working at a game company now, I hope you give my words credit when I say that without money, there is no game. You can only go for so long on saved up money and if there's no money, you can't hire anyone: no one that can be of help is going to work for you without a salary.

While I applaud your ambition, it's not realistic. I do believe most game developers feel that way, especially indie, but it's just not feasible past a certain point. I obviously know nothing about your chosen development area (programming, design, art, etc), but I do believe you are blissfully ignorant as to how challenging some bugs can be to fix - especially when your community has tied your hands by whining about wipes until they're out of the question.

what is i will put the money towartds the game whether that be its developers or somehting else. over my own greed. i because unless you improve the game consistently or develope it to a point where it no long requires to be developed you wont get money out of the game. and this is what is happening to ark. this also why i wont be getting genisis till i can be gaurenteed it wont be bug infested. while i really want to get it i am not spending any more cash on ark till i see detrimental improvments on it in areas where it is needed.

@Zahleasome of these bugs dont seem that complicated tho.  Like there being about 20-30 megas(In the entrance) accompanied by 1000 insects and snakes inside the artifact of the immune cave on the center.  Best part is thats not an exaggeration, i started counting and there was at least 200 insects/snakes outside of the cave near the pond.  The inside of the cave was so crowded it wasnt even navigatable by walking.  I was lucky to even get in the cave for crowding.  Simple fix, reduce spawn rate for said cave from 20 back to 1.  As for the skylord artifact, it has been broken long b4 the kibble rework.  It was broken shortly after ascension was added.  For most of us the NE crawl cave doesnt spawn any loot crates, that includes the artifact.  People b**** about this a bit back when, so wc fixed it for official servers.  They didnt for SP or unofficial because (assuming) we can cheat the artifact ourselves.  Thing is if you were already fixing it why not finish the job proper.  Its an insult.  As for you, u seem to have rates doubled which is why u might be getting it when others dont.  Its also possible they have fixed this without telling anyone or listing it in the notes.  Have you noticed some updates are way to big for the 2 or 3 small things listed in the notes?  Over the last couple months ive noticed a few bugs that have been fixed that arnt recorded on the notes.  Like ascension has been made safe again, and the spinos on center capping proper at 150 instead of 140.  I haven't checked the cave recently so its possible its also been secretly fixed.  That said my caves are only spawning 1 crate at a time.  You also cant adjust crate spawns on SP so its not on my end.  That was a few months ago.

Isnt poor decision making a sign of lack of care?  Carelessness is from being careless which is a lack of care.  Also they are slammed on social media and poor reviews.  If money is the priority for survival, then wouldn't it make sense to fix the game and pull in new customers?  I know people who would of bought this game if it wasnt so broken or poorly reviewed.  One friend has a switch and wants the  game but the lack of care is preventing the sale.

But isnt wc owned by snail?  Dont they have backing and funding from their mother company?  Even if not, theres so many modders, some of which are highly skilled, that love this game.  Im sure some of them would gladly help just to have their name in the credits.  Some of arks best content was created by modders, center, rag, val, s+ to name a few.

@Kodking194same here, ive bought all the dlc up to genisis.  I haven't bought genisis tho because i feel uneasy about it.

7 minutes ago, Kodking194 said:

so they slowly die?

No, they still dont require oxygen to survive.  You just have to deal with the screen effect from my understanding.

4 hours ago, RipRavage said:

And that stat does not refill on sea creatures, thus why we have a suffocating icon glitch.  Once it hits zero, there is no way to refill the meter.

Im curious, does 'infinitestats' fix this?

I thing server performance is importantly resolve than breaking bugs and glitches. If you was playing alot ark you remember that on legacy servers when new servers didn't come out servers are not crashed/timeout or high lags. Now situation is that on any offical server what you play your server will crash 1-3 times in day or more, then server will kicking all people and my record that its kicked 5 times in 15 min also lagging. That's not all also issue is that every 15 min happens save lag and that lag takes like 1-3 min and sometimes its get's angry that you lost items/dinos because save lag.

My opinion on old offical servers was been better server performance than now on new servers.

Also if you are reporting your offical server via outage form it's dosen't help still will crashing/save lag/kicking people/lagging and etc.

On 11/2/2019 at 1:17 AM, Kodking194 said:

what is i will put the money towartds the game whether that be its developers or somehting else. over my own greed. i because unless you improve the game consistently or develope it to a point where it no long requires to be developed you wont get money out of the game. and this is what is happening to ark. this also why i wont be getting genisis till i can be gaurenteed it wont be bug infested. while i really want to get it i am not spending any more cash on ark till i see detrimental improvments on it in areas where it is needed.

My point is that I actually do believe they're doing that. What I see confirms it to me, but I'm not a part of the dev team so what does any of us know really? :P Yeah, I really get that and I think it's a good strategy. If we, as consumers want to influence things, we have to do it with our wallets but unfortunately, there must also be enough of us doing it and a lot of people don't care enough.

On 11/2/2019 at 1:17 AM, Onimusha759 said:

@Zahleasome of these bugs dont seem that complicated tho.

Oh, yeah, I know! Being a programmer myself some bugs are extra infuriating because I believe I know how easy it will be to fix. But it's also very possible that it's a side effect from fixing another bug. If that other bug is more serious than the side effect, then you might not want to revert it even though a new bug was caused. This image illustrates bug fixing perfectly ? 

7c6bbf73f430a9c2f176484e44a61ef1.jpg

As for the skylord, that could be why. I didn't know that affected how many artifacts spawn! ? However, I have the rates tripled, if I remember correctly. Curious that only doubles the respawn and not triples. About the size, I don't usually look at the size of the downloads, but whenever I've seen it I've just assumed they had to change a map or other large asset that requires downloading that whole asset again. You might be right, though, that not everything is listed. It would make sense - it's a lot of upkeep making sure exactly everything goes in to the release notes, especially if it's small, quick fixes. Really happy about the ascension! I haven't gotten there yet, but I've been a bit worried about what would happen when I did.

On 11/2/2019 at 1:17 AM, Onimusha759 said:

Isnt poor decision making a sign of lack of care? [...] But isnt wc owned by snail?

Actually, I see it more as incompetence and demands we know nothing about. I really don't mean to be nasty or condescending - what I tend to forget with the size of ARK is that these are totally new devs, not used to releasing games. What I see in what they do is that they care very much, but that the decisions they make now always work. Basically, that sometimes they just don't know that it won't work. Also, I believe that being owned by Snail Games is just incredibly bad for us as a consumers. The game company I work for is also owned by a bigger game company and we see no money coming from them. What we do see is demands. The thing is, being owned by a bigger company might be a safeguard against going out of business - if it gets that bad they might chip in but if not, they only add expectations. Wildcard would most likely still be required to pull their own weight and not only that - they probably have demands to make more profit than they did as an independent company.

Archived