Multi Map setups

TonyTempah

Multi Map setups

I've been jumping between maps since Scorched Earth was released but never really had a strategy for multi map use. What are your optimised setups? Rag or Val for breeding? Aber for metal? Ext for Element? One survivor that travels or multiple survivors? Bosses? Looking for inspiration for end game tactics. Thanks in advance :)

8 hours ago, TonyTempah said:

Multi Map setups

I've been jumping between maps since Scorched Earth was released but never really had a strategy for multi map use. What are your optimised setups? Rag or Val for breeding? Aber for metal? Ext for Element? One survivor that travels or multiple survivors? Bosses? Looking for inspiration for end game tactics. Thanks in advance :)

I like to have my ascension / main character. This guy hops between story maps as the main dude. He mans your main base, does all the breeding etc. From there you have 1 or 2 other characters. Atleast one for your farmer / tamer. Have this guy on Ragnarok to scout out high level tames for your breeding projects / easily farm / transfer (via obelisk / transmitter) your tames/materials from Rag to Island or wherever your main story is. 

The third character is a toss up. It depends on your server type. If its singleplayer you need to wait gor the metal to smelt anyways so jusy transfer your main. Personally I would have a third on Aberration *just* to farm mass ingots. This character's only purpose is to start on ab, tame an anky, doed and crab and lives in blue zone. Hop to him to quickly farm some metal and while its smelting farm other mats.

edit: if you leave one server unoccupied you can always shuffle your alts to different servers if you like to have multiple survivors like me

I learned the hard way to NOT travel between maps, but instead have a difference character on each map.  Sure loading and unloading into a transmitter is a pain, but much less painful than losing a character filled with ASC saddles, weapons, cryo'd dinos and other valuable resources like what happened to me.

Plus you can kind of fine tune the character on each map for need.  Most of my characters are the same stats mostly, but my Abberration character has way more health and stamina because it is a hellhole when starting out.

My character on Ragnarok is leveled high in melee, weight and health, so he is used for taming and gathering.

My character on Valguerro is the crafter, and I transfer my blueprints and resources to that map to craft stuff for the best armor/damage levels.

But i play on clusters. Not sure if you are talking about traveling between cluster maps, or just separate maps on official.

I play on official servers, I have 4 stable servers I play on that i will transfer my main character between, but I also have a second pc that has a crafter on each of those servers, so if need be, i can hop on the crafter, check the server stability and transfer across on the main character if needed.   The crafter on the second pc lets me refresh the bases and take care of any animals left out if need be.

I also have a separate 'secondary' character on Valguero, i made it new when the map was released on official servers, and its done the bosses there up to beta, so its got alot of tek unlocked on it as well.  Haven't decided if I'm going to start from scratch on genesis or transfer one of the two characters over.   I'm thinking I may just start from scratch at first and see how the world is, then go from there, either keep playing it or overwrite with one of the other two characters.

pluses to having character on separate servers:

• No worries about character loss
  • easier to maintain bases, no forgotten gear on transfering.

Pluses to having one character on servers:

• only have to go through the bosses one time for tek engrams
  • can transfer more then 50 items across at a time by taking items on your person.

I do enjoy starting a new character on a new map, it brings back all the original starting difficulties, and makes the game abit more challenging.  I don't as for starter gear, but there have been a few times i've cried out for assistance at my base for help against a alpha rex.  Most the people I've met have been really nice people on official, there have been a few bad apples but the majority have been friendly and helpful.

• 3 weeks later...

Multi-map transfers are dangerous, especially lately.  You have a very real chance that the download is going to error out on transfer and you will lose your character. In truth, they simply need to make an all encompassing set of maps that cut back on the need to use that system until the system gets an overhaul or rewritten.   However, if you don't mind playing the roulette wheel,  the 3 best maps for farming in my opinion are:

Ragnarok (Wyverns, Rock elementals, Mantis, cactus sap, crystal, oil)

Extinction (Crystal, Element, Element Dust, Shards)

Aberration (metal, gems, crystal, fungal wood)

The other maps also offer some great spots, but most of the official maps like The Island, Scorched Earth or Lagguero are overly built up and the Center while I think it's a great map, is also heavily built up.  But then again, this is all speculative, it really depends on what your priorities are, are you a pvper? are you pve? what resources are you looking for particularly? etc. etc etc.

Archived