Cave Creatures TLC (Insects & More)

ShaneOfThrones

Suggestion

Cave Creatures TLC (Insects & More)

The cave creatures of ARK are some of the coolest creatures in the game, and they have been in the game dating back to the earliest island days. So why haven't they received some much needed TLC yet? I'm talking about of course, the Pulmonoscorpius, Araneo and Onyc, I'm excluding the Arthropluera as they are fairly useful already in my opinion. Perhaps they will receive a TLC and maybe it's already in the works, but if not then here are my suggestions.

As someone who lived in a cave for 2 years back on legacy, and still tames cave creatures to this day (even during Fear Evolved 3!), I have thought long and hard about what could be done with the creatures. I believe these suggestions will increase the interest in cave PvP and encourage people to utilize the cave creatures more.

(Will use Xbox controls as primary example)

ARANEO: (My favorite)

-When saddled and ridden, if LT is held down, a pointer appears and when LT is let go, a temporary zipline made from webs shoots out of the Araneo. (Regular LT web attack is still one press.)

----Araneo's have increased movement speed when travelling across the webline, players on foot or other creatures that can use ziplines have decreased speed.

--------Works similar to the zipline hook but the webline decays after 30 seconds, or can be cut by the player or a tamed Araneo.

-Breedable! (Spiders are known for their eggs!)

-To keep cave difficulty the same, only when tamed should the Araneo stats increase greatly, as currently even a 150 will tame out with an average of 140 weight, 750 hp and 230 melee which makes them too vulnerable to use in any sort of PvP.

-The ability to walk on walls/hang on ceilings. This would be great for cave PvP, hang sniping from the ceiling on the back of a spider, similar to the rock drakes but hidden in the corner of a dark room, like spiders typically do.

-When the right analog stick is pressed in, the Araneo can create a web wall (like the ones Frodo gets stuck in during his venture through Shelobs lair). Not too big but big enough to block the average tunnel in a cave, this can break when an enemy player or dino walks into it and decrease their speed for a few seconds like with the regular spider web attack.

-----Web wall will decay after 3 minutes but can be destroyed with fire (flame arrows, flamethrowers, torches and so on).

-Better taming method! Spoiled meat is the best food you can tame a Araneo with which is very unfortunate and results in a low level outcome.

PULMONOSCORPIUS:

-Breedable! (They already lay eggs so why not fert eggs? They have some unique colors and breeding would be very interesting with these guys).

-When right analog stick is pressed, the claws can grab shoulder mounts and hold them. (Similar to the Karkinos), could be useful for hand feeding more easily or narcing out compys easier.

-The stinger could be made more deadly, either blinding a player for 3-5 seconds as players with high fortitude won't be effected by the stinger at all.

Not much else I can think of for the Pulmonoscorpius, their stats are a lot better than the Araneo so thats a plus.

ONYC: (SO MUCH POTENTIAL)

-An item can be attached to the Onyc's legs or a button can be pressed that allows the player to hold onto the Onyc and fly around with it (Legolas did it in The Hobbit!).

------When a weapon is equipped whilst hanging from an Onyc, say a sniper, the Onyc will be stationary in the air and you can snipe, you wont be able to move the Onyc unless you unequip the weapon (this is to make them a less reliable dino for hang sniping but still a possible choice).

------------Whilst hanging from an Onyc, another button can be pressed which gives the player night vision, bats have that right? Perhaps the fact the player is making contact with the Onyc's skin allows the Onyc to transfer its night vision to you.

-Onyc chestpieces! Bit of a weird one but armored bats could be a deadly horde in PvP situations, especially in caves, and would make them less vulnerable than wild ones. Is also the same as giving helmets to gorillas and shoulder mounts.

-Better taming method! Similar to the Araneo being tamed with spoiled meat, the Onyc's favorite food is raw mutton, which is an improvement from spoiled meat but doesn't give many levels after taming.

Quite satisfied with the Onyc stats after taming despite the taming method and they are effective in large groups.

If this happens to make an impression anywhere then I hope all cave creature fans will show their support in the comments and push for a TLC update. I'm sure some of the suggestions I made would be difficult, or maybe even impossible to implement into the game in a fair way but it's a start and will hopefully spawn new and improved ideas from other people, thanks for reading!

2 replies to this server topic

Not sure that the scorp is as desperate for an update as others, personally, but they do need to be made just a bit more viable perhaps.

Titanoboa needs updating badly too, currently totally useless. Megalania could also do with some improvement.

I'd like to see a grapple type ability on the araneo and have also seen some people suggesting a bola attack.

Archived