Mutations

Hovinko

On 11/3/2019 at 7:33 AM, Rocketraptor said:

First you want to get both a mother and a father that have the same stats then start breeding eventually you’ll get a mutation this Dino will be higher level than the others and have 1 color region that’s been changed from the parents

False on color region. You dont necessarily get color region changed.

17 minutes ago, Luewen said:

False on color region. You dont necessarily get color region changed.

Actually, you're both right ;)

You always get a colour region change with a mutation, it's just that it can choose a colour region that is not used by that creature and in that case it's not going to be visible.

On 10/27/2019 at 12:52 PM, Hovinko said:

Hello, could anyone explain me mutations and also a massive breeding, please?

The high level overview:

1. Tame dinos until you have a level of stats that you're happy with. Basically, that usually means finding one creature with a high level in one stat, another creature for the next stat you care about etc.
  2. When you have creatures that together have high levels in all the stats you want, breed them together until you have one male and at least one female where all the stats are combined. This is your base pair that have the same stats, as @Rocketraptor mentioned. Since they both have the same stats, the offspring is guaranteed to have those stats as well, except if they get a mutation in which case the stats will be higher.
  3. Breed the base pair together until you get a mutation in any of the stats you care about. When you get a mutation, breed that mutated offspring with the opposite sex one of your base pair until you get more mutations.
    • The reason you want to breed the offspring with the base pair is because for each mutation, the mutation counter will go up. But if one parent has no mutations (like your base pair), then you can always get another mutation.
    • A lot of people keep lines separate - i.e. if they get a health mutation, they'll keep breeding that with their base until they get another health mutation. This is to make it easier to keep track of the mutations.
    • Whenever you breed a mutated creature, the offspring will have a number of mutations that is the sum of its parents (except if it's gotten an additional mutation in which case it's higher than the sum) - this is why you can see such high mutation counts on some dinos.
  4. When you have enough mutations, breed them together until you have a mutated base pair: two creatures with the same (mutated) stats, one of each sex. Whenever you breed these two together, the offspring will be at least as good as the parents.

On 11/4/2019 at 3:09 PM, Zahlea said:

You always get a colour region change with a mutation, it's just that it can choose a colour region that is not used by that creature and in that case it's not going to be visible.

The high level overview:

1. Tame dinos until you have a level of stats that you're happy with. Basically, that usually means finding one creature with a high level in one stat, another creature for the next stat you care about etc.
  2. When you have creatures that together have high levels in all the stats you want, breed them together until you have one male and at least one female where all the stats are combined. This is your base pair that have the same stats, as @Rocketraptor mentioned. Since they both have the same stats, the offspring is guaranteed to have those stats as well, except if they get a mutation in which case the stats will be higher.
  3. Breed the base pair together until you get a mutation in any of the stats you care about. When you get a mutation, breed that mutated offspring with the opposite sex one of your base pair until you get more mutations.
    • The reason you want to breed the offspring with the base pair is because for each mutation, the mutation counter will go up. But if one parent has no mutations (like your base pair), then you can always get another mutation.
    • A lot of people keep lines separate - i.e. if they get a health mutation, they'll keep breeding that with their base until they get another health mutation. This is to make it easier to keep track of the mutations.
    • Whenever you breed a mutated creature, the offspring will have a number of mutations that is the sum of its parents (except if it's gotten an additional mutation in which case it's higher than the sum) - this is why you can see such high mutation counts on some dinos.
  4. When you have enough mutations, breed them together until you have a mutated base pair: two creatures with the same (mutated) stats, one of each sex. Whenever you breed these two together, the offspring will be at least as good as the parents.

Actually there is a change that mutation happens to be same color as before. So not always even a change of color in any of the regions.

2 hours ago, Luewen said:

Actually there is a change that mutation happens to be same color as before. So not always even a change of color in any of the regions.

A very, very, very, very, very small chance.  I would go so far as to say there is a mathematically insignificant chance for it to mutate a color region to the exact same color it has, especially compared to the 1 in 5 chance of mutating a different color zone with a further 1 in ~80 chance that the color is NOT the same. 

Understand, I said 1 in 5 because we are examining the chance that the color mutation goes to a different color zone than one already present and used on the dino.  In the case of a creature that uses less than all 6 color zones, there is still an exactly equal chance of 1 in 6 for the mutation to go elsewhere.  Hopefully that makes sense.

1 hour ago, Aylana314159 said:

Not all color regions are visible, so a color mutation can happen on an unused region.

Dis guy gets it.

On 11/4/2019 at 8:09 AM, Zahlea said:

And dis guy gets it.

For further reading, see https://ark.gamepedia.com/Thylacoleo#Color_Scheme_and_Regions and https://ark.gamepedia.com/Dire_Bear#Color_Scheme_and_Regions.

5 hours ago, TheDonn said:

A very, very, very, very, very small chance.  I would go so far as to say there is a mathematically insignificant chance for it to mutate a color region to the exact same color it has, especially compared to the 1 in 5 chance of mutating a different color zone with a further 1 in ~80 chance that the color is NOT the same. 

Understand, I said 1 in 5 because we are examining the chance that the color mutation goes to a different color zone than one already present and used on the dino.  In the case of a creature that uses less than all 6 color zones, there is still an exactly equal chance of 1 in 6 for the mutation to go elsewhere.  Hopefully that makes sense.

Dis guy gets it.

And dis guy gets it.

For further reading, see https://ark.gamepedia.com/Thylacoleo#Color_Scheme_and_Regions and https://ark.gamepedia.com/Dire_Bear#Color_Scheme_and_Regions.

My point still stands. No matter if the change is minuscule, the change is still there.

10 hours ago, Rocketraptor said:

Doesn’t an ankle have all of the color regions so if I’m breeding for mutations it’s almost guaranteed 

an anky uses all 6 color zones, yes.  While easy to watch for a color change, not all color changes will be easy to spot.  I've had color changes that were just brown or light orange and so wouldn't be that noticable from natural colors on ankys. For the most part though, animals with all 6 color zones are easier for spotting mutations from sight.

7 hours ago, Luewen said:

My point still stands. No matter if the change is minuscule, the change is still there.

It just seems like adding more information for the sake of adding more information, and though it is possible, it is not useful information for a beginning breeder.  It's like, "Hey OP, look out for a double mut that mutates 2 existing color regions to their same color!"  Is it possible?  Maybe 1 in several trillion?  But even the above isn't worth examining unless the subject is planning on personally breeding more ARK creatures than have currently been bred in the 4-year history of ARK.

You would have absolutely no way of knowing if it mutated an existing color region to the same exact color, as well.  ARK players would imagine that an un-used color region mutated and the color-mutation was wasted, because it has happened to me and many friends I know plenty of times.  Not once did we theorize that an existing color region on the dino was mutating to an existing color.

10 hours ago, Rocketraptor said:

Doesn’t an ankle have all of the color regions so if I’m breeding for mutations it’s almost guaranteed 

It doesn't guarantee the dino will color-mutate, but that you will be able to see the mutation.  Unless your dino is the .00082% chance that mutates to the existing color.

Archived