Why does manticore have to be such a pain?

Destrian

• Volunteer Moderator
1 hour ago, FreeEnergyDrink said:

I even tried the alpha run on Singleplayer (aka witouth lag), and the very first try, manticore flew up to the top of map away from me, and stayed there the whole time, had to kill it with commands.

I thought Bosses should be supper aggresive and try to kill you, not avoid...

They are aggressive, but the problem is that this boss was implemented for Scorched Earth, was reused by modders on their maps and I believe they forgot to override some critical data. From memory, the Manticore will attempt a landing attack every 40 seconds and will remains landed for a maximum of 20. Now here is where it gets tricky; it first need a target to perform an attack and it won't scan and aggro targets that are further than 10,000 units.

That works on Scorched Earth, because the arena is only approximately 8200 units high. However, on maps such as Ragnarok, where the arena is 20,000 units high, the Manticore will wander higher than its scan distance and will consequently not attempt to land anymore until its randomized AI brings it back closer.

Bring an Ape to throw yourself, or bring a Roo to jump wuthin its scan distance and it will start its landing cycle again.

2 hours ago, invincibleqc said:

They are aggressive, but the problem is that this boss was implemented for Scorched Earth, was reused by modders on their maps and I believe they forgot to override some critical data. From memory, the Manticore will attempt a landing attack every 40 seconds and will remains landed for a maximum of 20. Now here is where it gets tricky; it first need a target to perform an attack and it won't scan and aggro targets that are further than 10,000 units.

That works on Scorched Earth, because the arena is only approximately 8200 units high. However, on maps such as Ragnarok, where the arena is 20,000 units high, the Manticore will wander higher than its scan distance and will consequently not attempt to land anymore until its randomized AI brings it back closer.

Bring an Ape to throw yourself, or bring a Roo to jump wuthin its scan distance and it will start its landing cycle again.

I did a test by hovering next to a stuck manticore up in the sky, and it still didnt react or do anything.

The boss is just buggy and a mess to fight with lag which nearly every Ragna server has (high ping). I can only suggest to fight in a pretty lag free time (morning, late evening) and to bring ranged weapons or velonas. It's true that the SE Manticore is very easy to kill compared to valg or ragna. I have only fought the SE Manti a couple times but I never had a single issue, mostly with 1 yuti and 5-8 rexes. 

I don't know if you can bring the velo into every Manti fight on every map but it sounds like a very good strategy to down him quickly.

Archived