Why does manticore have to be such a pain?

Destrian

Why does manticore have to be such a pain?

I know this has been said a thousand times but I just don't get it. Every other boss goes down easy if you have the stats or you can just go to ext with 1 good rex or giga and get 500 element from one vein. I tried playing valguero but whats the point of having main base here if ele is gonna be such a pain. There is players doing alpha drake in the island with literally 5 mounted deinonychus with average stats and nothing else, and then there's me dying to g a m m a valguero arena with stat capped rexes bc manticore doesn't want to land.

I took the first 2 bosses in around 1 min each and then waited without moving for it to land, but nothing. Btw this was in Official PVE and solo.

1 hour ago, shadowkyuubi said:

When you have your dinos in there when you're trying to get the Manticore to land, don't move your dinos, the manticore uses the same Landing mechanism as the wyvern so it has trouble Landing because it's trying to Target a certain Dino of yours

To add to this, group them up in one area and its more likely to land

27 minutes ago, d1nk said:

To add to this, group them up in one area and its more likely to land

Last time we invited some people from server, because engrams. Dragon was dead after 30-40 secs. We wrote in chat, just group in one place and wait, but than one idiot pull out his fabi and started shooting, thank God he runs out of ammo.  

• 4 weeks later...

The boss is very buggy and will react to server lag. Never fight the boss with heavy server lag, he will teleport around the arena and it's even possible for him to bug under the map. I really have no clue how lag effects the Manticore to such a degree but I have have experienced it (Manticore bugging under the map for minutes then suddenly teleporting to the edge of the map and other things. 

He also needs space to land but even then he will often bug out, that's why you don't use 20 dinos on scorched earth, 1 Yuti 5-8 rexes, so that he has more space to land.

I have also read somewhere that he will land more frequently if he hits the player with his thorn shots, which I can't confirm because his landings seem so random.

My suggestion is to always carry ranged weapons, some people seem to also use manas but I have never tried it myself and most importantly never try him with heavy server issues.

• Volunteer Moderator

Quite often the Manticore briefly lands and takes off because it's too crowded on the ground. If you can space your Rexs or dinos out it has a better chance of landing and then whistle your dinos on to it.

Some people have however claimed that even giving it space it still doesn't land. It's certainly a buggy boss, but whether it is intended to act like that or not I don't know.

But your best bet is to try and make space for it to land by having your dinos moving around, or make sure you got weapons with plenty of ammo.

Manticore is a bugged boss 100% guarantee.

Manticore usually only lands like 2 times, tries to land a lot more, but just doesnt.

Sometimes it stays in the air for 10mins straight without even moving and doing nothing.

We tried spacing them out alot, but that just does not work.

Sad that players have to have bad experience and lose armies cause of a boss which needs a fix, but doesnt get fixed..

16 minutes ago, FreeEnergyDrink said:

Manticore is a bugged boss 100% guarantee.

Manticore usually only lands like 2 times, tries to land a lot more, but just doesnt.

Sometimes it stays in the air for 10mins straight without even moving and doing nothing.

We tried spacing them out alot, but that just does not work.

Sad that players have to have bad experience and lose armies cause of a boss which needs a fix, but doesnt get fixed..

Can confirm 100%. I've lost 76 rexes and 4 yutis, so i decided to be smart and move to island ?‍♂️

according to this guide: https://www.reddit.com/r/playark/comments/80fd8w/detailed_boss_guide_for/ you have to face tank the manticore with good flak and a gas mask. If the boss doesn't change where it needs to land because it has a static target it will land at some point.  If its targets keeps moving around it will change where it needs to land and keeps trying until it changes its landing spot again and the cycle repeats.

16 hours ago, GP said:

Quite often the Manticore briefly lands and takes off because it's too crowded on the ground. If you can space your Rexs or dinos out it has a better chance of landing and then whistle your dinos on to it.

Some people have however claimed that even giving it space it still doesn't land. It's certainly a buggy boss, but whether it is intended to act like that or not I don't know.

But your best bet is to try and make space for it to land by having your dinos moving around, or make sure you got weapons with plenty of ammo.

There's multiple things to do for this boss, and multiple things NOT to do. on average I run the alpha in around 5 minutes on official, and have done it "hundreds" of times. No exaggeration.

If done right you have no issues.

It's mechanics are a bit more complicated and it's not really suitable for beginners imo. But to be fair you do get rewarded with some of the best engrams so the balance is right. Tek teleporter for example. Good ele and easy tribute requirements.

Players having trouble are best sticking to an easier boss that is less rewarding. Not everything in the game is click and win and I'm glad, if they took the fun out of this boss it would be boring for experienced players.

The boss isn't buggy, it just takes skill.

• Volunteer Moderator

I heard the secret is teaming up against the beast. Let's all band together and fight the Manticore instead of each other! If this can't be achieved, and the bickering/name calling continues in this thread, then it will have to be closed so let's please have a civil discussion. Thanks!

The simplest way to fix this would be to offer the flyer bosses a way to dive and land delivering a knockback, at least then it would firmly land and then the battle could resume. I for one agree, the mechanic for landing is shoddy at best and infuriates a raid when their dinos and hard work are suddenly flushed away because of idiocy/ignorance from a raider or from poorly implemented game mechanics. 

4 hours ago, invincibleqc said:

then it will have to be closed 

Maybe that is the porpuse of the one that is calling the people "whiney noobs", talking about skills, etc without contributing at all after 3 posts... 

I've done alpha manticore multiple times in the different maps, never wiped at it. It just requires the players to be prepared with shotguns just in case, as it randomly bugs and refuses to land.
Manticore always lands well the first time, no matter if the tames stay packed or around the map but after that it behaves erratically randomly fixing on tames that can in some situations make it stay static in the air.
We usually do alpha valguero with 3 ppl and when I whistle the tames sometimes I feel like Im able to make it land by moving the tames in groups to different locations, but then in the next run I repeat the same strategy and it does not work so I firmly believe there is a high part of RNG on its landing.

@Destrian, dont do it alone. I dont feel safe doing this boss in alpha with less than 3 ppl. One of my teammates did some runs of gamma solo by using a combination of deynos and rexes (not op rexes btw, the ones we had before transfers opened were 11800hp/431dmg base) but despite he did it a lot of times he also had some wipes.

1 hour ago, arkark said:

Maybe that is the porpuse of the one that is calling the people "whiney noobs", talking about skills, etc without contributing at all after 3 posts... 

I've done alpha manticore multiple times in the different maps, never wiped at it. It just requires the players to be prepared with shotguns just in case, as it randomly bugs and refuses to land.
Manticore always lands well the first time, no matter if the tames stay packed or around the map but after that it behaves erratically randomly fixing on tames that can in some situations make it stay static in the air.
We usually do alpha valguero with 3 ppl and when I whistle the tames sometimes I feel like Im able to make it land by moving the tames in groups to different locations, but then in the next run I repeat the same strategy and it does not work so I firmly believe there is a high part of RNG on its landing.

@Destrian, dont do it alone. I dont feel safe doing this boss in alpha with less than 3 ppl. One of my teammates did some runs of gamma solo by using a combination of deynos and rexes (not op rexes btw, the ones we had before transfers opened were 11800hp/431dmg base) but despite he did it a lot of times he also had some wipes.

Yep, we do it also with 3 people... and it really is kind of random.. We had some runs where nothing worked, we tried tanking it by just going on foot but he didnt even react, tried moving dinos around.. or put all dinos in one place and not move them at all.
And every run we do the alpha on valguero, its completly random, but atleast 30-40% of runs, the manticore does a 10min break and just hovers at the top of the arena without moving and not reacting to anything.

Archived